***** Kitty Pryde (Uncanny X-Men) *****

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited September 2018 in Character Details

5-Star Rarity (Epic)
Heroes, X-Men
yellowtilepng purpletilepng redtilepng 

"Katherine Anne Pryde was only thirteen when she learned of her mutant power to phase through solid matter. Soon she became one of the youngest and brightest students in Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, training with Wolverine to become a skilled combatant.

As Ariel, Shadowcat, and Kitty Pryde, she fights for what's right and is always there to back up her fellow X-Men."

(Abilities, Match Damage, and Health listed at level 450)
55,171 Health
yellowtilepng 713 | purpletilepng 634 |  555 |  353 | bluetilepng 91 | blacktilepng 77 | greentilepng 84 |  4.3x

Phase and Conquer - 8 yellowtilepng AP
When the X-Men are in trouble, Kitty leaps into the fray and phases them to safety. Create 2 Yellow Protect tiles with a strength of 316.

(PASSIVE) At the start of her turn, if there are 4 or more friendly Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles on the board, improve them by 367 (Max 5 tiles). For every member of the X-Men on Kitty's team, this threshold goes down by 1.
  • Level 2: ...Yellow Protect tiles with a strength of 354....improve them by 392...
  • Level 3: ...Yellow Protect tiles with a strength of 379....improve them by 430...
  • Level 4: ...Yellow Protect tiles with a strength of 417....improve them by 506...
  • Level 5: Create 3 Yellow Protect tiles....improve them by 633...
Circuit Breaker - purpletilepng PASSIVE
Kitty phases through the enemy's defenses, catching them off-guard when their systems fail. At the start of the turn, if one does not exist and enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles are on the board, create a 3-turn Fortified Purple Repeater tile that will replace enemy Strike, Attack, Protect, or Countdown tiles. If no enemy special tiles are on the board, this tile destroys itself and deals 11,768 damage.
  • Level 2: ...deals 13,286 damage.
  • Level 3: ...create a 2-turn Fortified Purple Repeater tile...
  • Level 4: ...create a 1-turn Fortified Purple Repeater tile...
  • Level 5: ...and enemy Strike, Attack, Protect, or Countdown tiles... Also triggers off of Countdown tiles
Practiced Offense - 6 redtilepng AP
In one swift movement, Kitty Pryde phases through the enemy before they can strike and cuts through their back line defense. Creates a 8-turn Red Countdown tile. While this tile is on the board, if Kitty or one of her teammates takes damage from an enemy power, create 3 strength 342 Attack tiles.
  • Level 2: ...strength 380 Attack tiles.
  • Level 3: ...strength 418 Attack tiles.
  • Level 4: Creates a 9-turn Red Countdown tile.
  • Level 5: ...strength 469 Attack tiles.
What do you think is Kitty Pryde's best build? Vote down below!

***** Kitty Pryde (Uncanny X-Men) ***** 44 votes

5/5/3
86%
SpoitThanosOzarkBoatswainSpiritclawsinnerjflQuebbsterIridiouswymtimey4747MoosePrimeEdgemanWarbringaLLohmzodiac339BlackBoltRocksJackDeath666ammenelltph_jamesjayx_2maltyo9 38 votes
5/4/4
0%
5/3/5
2%
RealPD 1 vote
4/5/4
4%
DirigiblePilotmega ghost 2 votes
4/4/5
0%
3/5/5
6%
motownjunkiemarshallAlexNapalm 3 votes

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Initial thoughts on Kitty Pryde.
    Yellow: Poor but potentially Great with support.
    The active part of this skill is decent for taking care of most match damage but on its own this isn't a draw.  The passive buff here is EXCELLENT and just one turn will turn this skill into something that's appealing.  Obviously this game has always been more about offense then defense so the trick here is to get attack or strikes on the board and if you can fortify them even better.  The red synergy is nice as a solo character but you really shouldn't be building a team around the idea of taking hits from enemy powers.  I stand by calling this skill poor with just Kitty as your solo special tile generator...she needs support.
    Note: The X-men benefit is very well implemented as its strong but not required to make this skill worth while.  Great job to the design team with this skill!

Purple: Amazing!
    This is exactly what 5* tier needs and really its the buff that Doctor Strange purple could have used.  We now have a great answer to PvE goons that goes beyond just killing them quickly and hoping for the best.  In PvP this skill's appeal depends entirely on the meta.  There's a ton of opportunity for this skill to shine.

Red: Poor.
    This is a highly creative and fun little skill.  The low AP cost makes this easy to fire and of course her yellow passive can ensure these get out of hand really quickly.   The reason I rank it poor is because your strategy never involves your enemy firing powers.  This is NOT a skill you want to depend on but its something that can help you recover or slowly build damage later in the match.   For most typical matches this is probably too slow. (Edit:Corrected for errors since red triggers on damage not enemy firing powers)

Overall: High Tier PvE character.  Probably too slow for PvP.
    Kitty Pryde fills a niche in PvE that 5* tier has been missing for the most part.  She should be an easy to include character for goon heavy nodes and a potentially strong character for survival nodes and tough battles in general.  Her potential to shine when paired with 1 or 2 other characters is huge especially when you consider that she doesn't really need to fire a single power to be useful.  Her PvP appeal will honestly need testing to decide if she'll bring anything to the table.  I could see people running Kitty in some 4* PvP events like 4* Rocket.  However, I'm not sure you can just pair her with Phoenix and some random featured character and have a competitive duo.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    She'd go well with OML in the sense that his whole thing is generating strike tiles, but he's such an old 5* that the power creep has left him behind a while ago. Using the two of them in PvP would be leaving you open as an easy target, I feel. I'm struggling to think of 5*s whos main gimmick is creating special tiles. A lot of them do it as an "Oh, and they also make special tiles, I guess" kind of feature, like JJ's red.

She seems good for that purple though. I did initially read it as "If there are no special tiles, she basically does 13l a turn" which felt wrong. She makes a singular repeated that, I assume, returns special tiles to basic tiles. Then once there are no special tiles, the repeater does damage and goes away, not to return until there are special tiles. So if you're against an enemy that makes no special tiles, this is never going to come into play.

Red seems good but it's very bizarre that it doesn't do damage. I can't think of many red moves that don't do damage. And I agree, as said above, the point of PvP is to not let the enemy fire a power. Especially ones that damage, and that's the key part of the skill here. Someone has to take damage from a power for this to activate. So if Thor just slaps down his yellow repeater or Okoye heals herself, it's not going to do anything.

I dunno...she seemed okay but I can't see a PvP use for her. She's certainly not going to replace Okoye, Thor, JJ or Daredevil as the current PvP masters.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    5/5/3
    If i understand this right, she would be amazing with someone like carnage. Massively buffing friendly attack tiles, and removing the enemy ones.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    So let’s see. Counters Mindless ones. Bring against Daken and/or Bullseye. So good in story mode.
    Partner with... Bannerhulk and OML? 3 attacks and 2 strikes that get buffed as long as 3 remain (due to OML as X-Man), and the enemy attacks get cleared with passive. Banner or OML can tank incoming enemy powers with your red out. Not a meta team, but that could be fun to run. Carnage seems like not the best since it’ll be hard to clear enough for the repeater to blow. Then again, Imagine Balance of Power versus Kitty, Carnage, Nico. Those attacks would get WAY out of hand.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    3/5/5
    She would work wonders against Medusa, Bolt and the like.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    Wait till you guys start seeing her being paired up with R&G and/or Carnage. Her yellow passive buffs friendly tiles by a total of 3165 every turn once you get 5 standard friendly tiles out there. Not once, but every turn. Can you imagine a team of R4G and Carnage running in Simulator?

R4G: 7*132 strike tiles
    Carnage: 2* 137 attack tiles

By the end of the 5th turn, you would have taken:

Turn 2: takes at least ~4000 of attack damage
    Turn 3: ~7000
    Turn 4: ~11000
    Turn 5: ~15000
    Total: 37000 passive damage, assuming not many of your tiles are being matched away....

Her purple passive is really good against Daken or Bullseye in PvE and even against goons. You could pair her up with Eddie Brock if there is no enemy special tiles generator to activate her purple passive. 

Her red is pretty weak but I guess it's meant not to make her OP. Her purple and yellow is excellent, unless I misunderstood her yellow passive. It says at the start of her turn, not at the start of the game...
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    5/5/3
    Wait till you guys start seeing her being paired up with R&G and/or Carnage. Her yellow passive buffs friendly tiles by a total of 3165 every turn once you get 5 standard friendly tiles out there. Not once, but every turn. Can you imagine a team of R4G and Carnage running in Simulator?

R4G: 7*132 strike tiles
    Carnage: 2* 137 attack tiles

By the end of the 5th turn, you would have taken:

Turn 2: takes at least ~4000 of attack damage
    Turn 3: ~7000
    Turn 4: ~11000
    Turn 5: ~15000
    Total: 37000 passive damage, assuming not many of your tiles are being matched away....

Her purple passive is really good against Daken or Bullseye in PvE and even against goons. You could pair her up with Eddie Brock if there is no enemy special tiles generator to activate her purple passive. 

Her red is pretty weak but I guess it's meant not to make her OP. Her purple and yellow is excellent, unless I misunderstood her yellow passive. It says at the start of her turn, not at the start of the game...

That sounds wonderful except for the fact that Okoye will happily take the damage and Thor will eat their lunch. I seriously wonder what the dev's are thinking when they design some of these characters, it's almost as if they don't play their own game.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    So she will be good against mindless ones in PVE for her passive, and if you run a Grocket team to buff the strike tiles but other than that she is fairly bad.  Protect tiles are over rated and her red only works if the enemy fires a power.  She really is a PVE only character where you can see lots of bullseye and daken.

for those of you saying you can use her against the Grocket Gamora teams remember this if you champion her you will be facing Okoye/Thor teams not Medusa Grocket.  She is way to situational, unless the next 5* is an X-men that puts out additional strike tiles and overtakes Thor Okoye she is really week.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    If you are in 4* land right now, riding high on gamora/grocket, and planning on a transition to 5*, she will probably be pretty decent for you.  She will make your pve life even easier.  Pvp - i am not so sure about yet.

If you are already a 5* player, she will be middle if the pack.  She isn't wasp/banner level, but definitely not thor/okoyo.  

I think she is a decent addition, but agree with others that she will be situational/pve friendly more than anything else.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    That purple is a wonderful anti-goon power. Wait, does that make her passive better than Gambit’s purple now? Like, even better than it was before?
  • Edgeman
    Edgeman Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    5/5/3
    I think she will be great to team up with OML and Phoenix. IMHO, most of us here who think she's not so good because we have high level newer 5* characters, but not old ones like OML and Phoenix. I can see the damage of strike tiles go up really quickly. But hey, that's just my hunch ;)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Holy tinykitty people, do you realize how awesome she is!  Her tile buffing is amazing,  her special tile removal is amazing, her reactive red CD tile is amazing too.  Do I need to explain?  Uhhhhh....... fine

4*Grocket and Kitty = she buffs the strikes every turn for 3165 more damage, every turn! That combo alone makes her better than okoye, and it's passive!  This also works with carnage.  She could combo with OML and prof X to create lots of specials, plus Prof X can buff them too.

Her purple passive is great defense, which turns into a nuke when no longer needed.  Can you ask for anything more! Its passive defense and nuke, its awesome. It would work great against PVE bullseye and daken too.

The red CD tile is cheap and long lasting, you could easily get multiple in play and if ANY enemy power hurts you (medusa) it places 3 strong attack tiles, which she could buff!

Then to give her some more protection, she has the ability to place 3 strong protects, which she could buff too. At 8 yellow, it's cheap.   

She's one of the best characters I've ever seen. She will define and dominate the meta with her tile buffing, mark my words.  On PVP defense, combine her with Grocket and Carnage to scare away everyone. Only Dazzler could stop them.
    In 5* land she's not quite as useful.

I mean, she'll be great in PvE, so that's always a plus, but if you're established in 5* land she's not someone to spend a ton of ISO on if there are others waiting.

Yes, she'll pair up nicely with Grocket, but they also have piddly HP compared to her, so most 5*s can tank the damage or Gambit can just eat the strike tiles.

Purple is good but in a fight with no special tiles it'll never have a use. So that limits its appeal compared to some 5*s that are always useful.

If you're choosing her as your first 5*, I think you could do a lot worse. But if you're like me with a handful already champed, there's not a lot going on in 5* land that really helps her to shine. I think she has the Angel problem in that she's designed to work with or counter the 4* tier.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    bbigler said:
    Holy tinykitty people, do you realize how awesome she is!  Her tile buffing is amazing,  her special tile removal is amazing, her reactive red CD tile is amazing too.  Do I need to explain?  Uhhhhh....... fine

4*Grocket and Kitty = she buffs the strikes every turn for 3165 more damage, every turn! That combo alone makes her better than okoye, and it's passive!  This also works with carnage.  She could combo with OML and prof X to create lots of specials, plus Prof X can buff them too.

Her purple passive is great defense, which turns into a nuke when no longer needed.  Can you ask for anything more! Its passive defense and nuke, its awesome. It would work great against PVE bullseye and daken too.

The red CD tile is cheap and long lasting, you could easily get multiple in play and if ANY enemy power hurts you (medusa) it places 3 strong attack tiles, which she could buff!

Then to give her some more protection, she has the ability to place 3 strong protects, which she could buff too. At 8 yellow, it's cheap.   

She's one of the best characters I've ever seen. She will define and dominate the meta with her tile buffing, mark my words.  On PVP defense, combine her with Grocket and Carnage to scare away everyone. Only Dazzler could stop them.
    In 5* land she's not quite as useful.

I mean, she'll be great in PvE, so that's always a plus, but if you're established in 5* land she's not someone to spend a ton of ISO on if there are others waiting.

Yes, she'll pair up nicely with Grocket, but they also have piddly HP compared to her, so most 5*s can tank the damage or Gambit can just eat the strike tiles.

Purple is good but in a fight with no special tiles it'll never have a use. So that limits its appeal compared to some 5*s that are always useful.

If you're choosing her as your first 5*, I think you could do a lot worse. But if you're like me with a handful already champed, there's not a lot going on in 5* land that really helps her to shine. I think she has the Angel problem in that she's designed to work with or counter the 4* tier.
    I agree with what Dragon Nexus says here. As someone in 4* land who is saving for 5* land I am not excited about her at all.

She can't counter GrockMorDusa other than gradually removing Rockets strikes 1 at a time. Her nuke won't go off because there will *always* be at least Medusa's CD on the board (its possible removing that will actually trigger her passive creating 2 attack tiles). If she makes her big protect tiles Medusa can steal them. The only offensive power GrockMorDusa really has is Gamora's Red so you just don't fire that till she is stunned.  Cardusa teams work essentially the same way.

You can also use Nico as a passive buffer of tiles in 4* land now. You don't need a max champed Kitty Pride which is infinitely harder to get.

KGB
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    I realize the point people are making that purple won't be used if there are no enemy special tiles. But let's be clear, there are only six 5* characters that don't make the listed special tiles with at least one power (plus Star-Lord who has a chance to steal S/A/P tiles but only if they are there already). Four if Silver Singularity and The Silent King are overwritable.

It might not come up often with most of those 5*s, but you have a good shot that it will happen at some point in a match, if only from a team-up.
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    5/5/3
    possibly. instead of waiting 3~4 turns to remove 3~4 tiles, you get one per turn. doesn't go for invis or repeater tiles though.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMHO, she relies way too much on specific things to happen that you have no control over to be of much use.  I am personally not a fan of a power that relies on enemy specific tiles being lain to even use.  This is a definite pass for me.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeiramMR said:
    I realize the point people are making that purple won't be used if there are no enemy special tiles. But let's be clear, there are only six 5* characters that don't make the listed special tiles with at least one power (plus Star-Lord who has a chance to steal S/A/P tiles but only if they are there already). Four if Silver Singularity and The Silent King are overwritable.

It might not come up often with most of those 5*s, but you have a good shot that it will happen at some point in a match, if only from a team-up.
    Agree, plus, I hear Daredevil and JJ are fairly popular. And the AI won't know not to fire powers that make tiles.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    When 4*Grocket first came out, most people didn't realize at first how useful he would be, but I did.  I believe the same thing is happening here. Kitty's tile buffing is ridiculous when exploited. With Grocket and Carnage she could rival Thanos for PVE speed, particularly on harder nodes. Her damage output grows each turn.  Plus, you can get her purple passive nuke to go off regularly because Carnage will stop making enemy tiles once you have 10 friendly tiles. Unfortunately, her best partners are in the 4* tier, but you could run her with OML in PVP.