Kingpin's black

Options
sinnerjfl
sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm not sure why Kingpin received two pretty strong nerfs over the years but trying to use him now and he really
is quite annoying to make work. You nerfed him so much yet he was never that strong in the first place.

Just change his black so that he destroys countdown tiles like he used to, that way you're gonna make him at least
somewhat useable. Right now, he only removes which is really bad because most countdown tile powers require specificially destroying the countdowns or matching them.

Comments

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    I'm not sure why Kingpin received two pretty strong nerfs over the years but trying to use him now and he really
    is quite annoying to make work. You nerfed him so much yet he was never that strong in the first place.

Just change his black so that he destroys countdown tiles like he used to, that way you're gonna make him at least
    somewhat useable. Right now, he only removes which is really bad because most countdown tile powers require specificially destroying the countdowns or matching them.
    I don't follow why you're asking for him to destroy the countdown tiles, rather than removing them.  Do you have an example?

The reason his (and a few other countdown related powers) were changed from "destroy" to "remove" is that they were becoming self-limiting.  Using Kingpin as an example: His yellow power creates countdowns on 2 of his colors (Yellow and Black) as well as a third unrelated color (Blue).  Previously, when his black power destroyed tiles, he would get caught in an AP drought.  His black would destroy the black and yellow tiles that had countdowns, thereby shifting the board away from those colors, making it harder for him to build them back up.  He was basically self-anti-synergy. 

By changing it to "remove" instead of "destroy", he isn't hamstringing himself.

Now, if you want to discuss the "single target nuke vs weak team damage" nerf to his black power, that was weapons-grade stupid.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reverting him to destroying the CD tiles would allow synergy with XFDP, Medusa, and others who have Countdowns with effects that trigger when they are destroyed. At present the only truly 'good' combo is with removing CDs that you own that actively harm you while present. 3* Sam Wilson is the best example I can think of at the moment.

The REAL reason this was changed was due to Fortified tiles. A Fortified tile that is destroyed simply becomes un-Fortified. Apparently they felt with Kingpin the ability to do big damage while mearly un-fortifying a tile was too good.

I will say though, that while boosted, his team damage poke is pretty beastly.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reverting him to destroying the CD tiles would allow synergy with XFDP, Medusa, and others who have Countdowns with effects that trigger when they are destroyed. At present the only truly 'good' combo is with removing CDs that you own that actively harm you while present. 3* Sam Wilson is the best example I can think of at the moment.
    Kate Bishop's black. But then you need like a billion black AP to fire them both close enough together.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah I didn’t mention that one because you’d probably just want to fire Looking For Trouble twice if you had that much AP