What's the status of 7-day PVE and Heroic PVE events?

Options
2»

Comments

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:
    They could update the people you fight in them so that we aren't fighting Dark Avengers all the time. 
    For whatever reason,  its really hard for them to go back and update those events.  apparently its not some copy and paste job.  You can tell their reluctance because every repeat event carry overs the same bug issues.
    They do it with the Simulator event. The new characters tend to get implemented fairly regularly so it cant be that difficult. More likely laziness. 
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Phumade said:
    They could update the people you fight in them so that we aren't fighting Dark Avengers all the time. 
    For whatever reason,  its really hard for them to go back and update those events.  apparently its not some copy and paste job.  You can tell their reluctance because every repeat event carry overs the same bug issues.
    I think it has more to do with the story than anything. People had a problem with Carnage in Venom Bomb so they opted to remove his red power to make those fights more tolerable. But with something like Simulator they're able to change things up and switch up characters more often since there's no central story to it. 
    Strip out the story if thats such a big issue. I'm sure 99% of players would rather have a large variety of characters to fight than have an enthralling story to read before they fight Daken for the 20th time that day. 

To be fair though, all they need to do is feature the characters in the story in a handful of the nodes in the week for them to still be relevant. 
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options

To be fair though, all they need to do is feature the characters in the story in a handful of the nodes in the week for them to still be relevant. 
    The characters on the player’s side don’t need to be in the player’s team (apart from a handful of exceptions) so why do the featured enemy characters need to be on the opposing team. Just treat it as though the storyline characters are fighting each other somewhere else and the player is fighting a side battle.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I feel like the story wouldn't need adjustment if they just add villains. Doc Ock can show up without explanation, as an example. So can Goblin, since Norman is already in the story.
  • Roland8
    Roland8 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Options
    Seven day events are a chore, but I agree that if they could update some of the nodes to have fewer Dark Avengers, that would add some much needed freshness factor. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Roland8 said:
    Seven day events are a chore, but I agree that if they could update some of the nodes to have fewer Dark Avengers, that would add some much needed freshness factor. 
    I do feel like there has been some "absence makes the heart grow fonder" stuff going on here because literally the ONLY 7 day event that I even remotely ever liked was Enemy of the State.

I am NOT looking forward to Hulk.
  • Roland8
    Roland8 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    edited September 2018
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Roland8 said:
    I do feel like there has been some "absence makes the heart grow fonder" stuff going on here because literally the ONLY 7 day event that I even remotely ever liked was Enemy of the State.

Yeah, Enemy of the State was okay; The Hulk just gets borin for some reason.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Options
    MPQ:
    Brigby said:

I personally don't know exactly why they're run far less now, but I would speculate (when it comes to The Hulk, at least) that it has to do with the long duration of the event, as well as the frequency of Dark Avengers as the opponents. That would explain why the schedule has since prioritized a mixture of more 3 and 4 day Story Events that offer a variety of different enemies.

Also MPQ:

//Runs The Hunt and Red ISO-8 back to back
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2018
    Options
    fwiw, it is very very likely that the storylines are part of an official process by the licensor, and that the licensee can not fundamentally change things integral to the storyline (like who is fighting on nodes which contain storyline snippets, or whether the storyline can be removed). For an already approved portion, they would need to go back and make the case why they need to change the currently approved version.*

So on Simulator - lacking a storyline, they can change things more or less at will to reflect what's happening in the game overall at the time if they want. For other events, I would predict that this window of availability is smaller and has more restrictions around it in terms of game mechanics balance (i.e. if you HAVE to have this node remain the same, your options for changing that node and keeping the power balance/difficulty/etc. the same are more limited).

*Generally, unless something is really really not working, it is better to limit what you're asking your licensor to approve in tricky areas like license-specific content to new content/mechanics/etc as much as possible.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Happy to see more events run for the variety, but I do not enjoy the 7 day ones very much at all.  EOTS has so many tokens it's tough to complain, but in general I'd be happy with one of these every other month. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    While I think the love for Heroics is probably overrated, I would guess my hate for them is too.
    From what I gather Heroics were good for 5* players to have a break from the insane roster based scaling. Some reason people want it back because they think finding your 3 strongest characters that don't fit together counts as "creative problem solving". I used to hate Heroics because when I would play pvp, all my boosted characters were used in the heroic pve so they were hurt.
    Of course, that's now a thing of the past for me, as I have a much deeper roster than before. So whatever, I guess I shouldn't get mad at the theoretical return to heroics.

If changing the story is an issue, just make SIM 2 or something, maybe with more goons, but change up the enemies.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Roland8 said:

Don't even like Prodigal Sun? That's my favourite 7-day event because it's not Dark Avengers every day. Each day has a new selection of heroes to fight.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Roland8 said:

Don't even like Prodigal Sun? That's my favourite 7-day event because it's not Dark Avengers every day. Each day has a new selection of heroes to fight.
    Prodigal Son is the one with Sentry, right? I have to admit I can't remember too much about who we fight in that one but I don't recall particularly looking forward to it.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Prodigal Sun is actually my least favourite. I play games like this to be a superhero, not a supervillain. I don't want to go around attacking Shield bases and killing people at the command of some megalomaniac.

I'll take the monotony of The Hulk over that any week.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Well at least fighting the Hulk was fun - I just bought C4rol and somebody who would make green be highest colour (Ghost Rider in this case) and let Hulk kill himself with anger triggering C4rol's energy absorbtion.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Prodigal Sun is probably the only non-PVP place where that level 3 Hydra Henchmen support can do an extra 29 damage to Avengers...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Well at least fighting the Hulk was fun - I just bought C4rol and somebody who would make green be highest colour (Ghost Rider in this case) and let Hulk kill himself with anger triggering C4rol's energy absorbtion.
    I used MEHulk and Rogue for that. Very amusing :D
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Options
    fwiw, it is very very likely that the storylines are part of an official process by the licensor, and that the licensee can not fundamentally change things integral to the storyline (like who is fighting on nodes which contain storyline snippets, or whether the storyline can be removed). For an already approved portion, they would need to go back and make the case why they need to change the currently approved version.*

...[snipped content]...
    Extremely likely. It's probable that the storyline is work product (i.e. copyrighted material) that is itself licensed as part of a package. In other words, that story with those characters IS the event as a packaged, set piece. You can license (i.e. purchase) new packages (i.e. stories with set characters) but not change a particular package. The sims are story-free, and intended to swap characters like, say, bits in a drill.

With the value that is being realized from Marvel characters and stories, the company has every incentive to very tightly control and police every expression of their intellectual property. For example, it matters greatly how Wolverine's personality is expressed in every instance because it influences the public's zeitgeist-impression in every manifestation across all forms of media. The more consistently his character is expressed the more "real" he becomes, like an actual person, in the mind of the paying public.

This kind of control allows Marvel carefully and accurately both to (1) perform market research and analysis, like focus groups testing, and (2) price their products and portfolio. And likely other valuable stuff that I'm not thinking of, too.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Nice -- that's brilliant! I brought Iceman to stun him, but I like your idea way better... It's kind of vicious.