New incentive to use more of our rosters.

Steel_Colt
Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
I see a lot of people asking D3 to implement features that incentivize us to use a larger part of our roster, such as bringing back Heroics. 
I was thinking about this and came up with an idea that I'd like to share with you all. Let me know what you think.

What if they add rewards for playing a certain amount of matches, or downing a certain amount of enemies, with a character?
Let's say you downed 100 enemies with Medusa, you get a 1000 Iso? 
The next tier Reward is unlocked after downing 200 enemies. However, to be eligible for this Reward, say 2500 Iso, you need at least 3 other characters with 100 downs. 
Tier 3 is at 500 downs, but can only be unlocked with at least 5 characters at tier 2 (200 downs). 

The amount of downs, height of the rewards, and the amount of characters at a certain tier in order to unlock the next tier are all up for debate of course, but this is the general idea.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Steel_Colt
    They could enforce the downs actually be made by the character you want to advance, so bringing a weak character along with two powerhouses to rack up downs won't work. You'll actually have to build a team around weaker characters that ensure they'll be able to actually down an enemy as well.
  • Steel_Colt
    In PVE you'll have to sacrifice speed in order to score downs for weaker characters, which might bring some relief to the speed contest that PVE has become. But the rewards for "Down-tiers" off-set the loss in placement rewards a bit. Especially for those that aren't able to plan their lives around sub start- and endtimes, this might be a welcome relief. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    What you are suggesting is to add side quests to the game and achievements to the game.  I think there are too many characters to make a quests or achievements for each one.  I think adding a daily/ weekly quest like use a buffed 4* 10 times in PVP or PVE.  I think there is some opportunities to explore, but if they would look to fix something I would like to see them fix rewards for PVP to match them closer to PVE and to make supports more available and the ability to level them first before they add side quests or achievements
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would be in support of sidequests and/or bonus objectives. Was playing ultimate alliance 2 recently and each character had three objectives that if done either unlocked an alternate costume or a boost. The pro is I did use every character on my roster to complete  said objectives. The con is it wasn’t really enjoyable and I ended up finding the quickest way to min-max and get it over with so I could go back to playing who I wanted. I think we would rush to knock out all the side quests ASAP and once that happened we’d just have to worry about the new release character every few weeks. The ideas have potential but I’m unsure how much people LIKE limited options despite complaints. People complain about wanting more of a challenge, more puzzling, and more reason to use the rest of their roster but all of these usually mean an increase in time playing (see: Wakanda event and old heroics, both complained about heavily until removed). So I’m unconvinced people know what they want. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    So I’m unconvinced people know what they want. 
    They could always give us more choice. Pick whether you want the 3* or 4* PvP, and be locked out of the other once you've chosen. Take the challenge of the Heroic version of a PvE with limited roster options, or pick the standard version where you can use everyone - again being locked out of the other once you're picked.

I'd like to see them be more inventive than that, personally, but it'd be a start. You can't really complain about one or the other if it's you making the choice between them.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really see people choosing to go after a particular achievement if it means that doing so would slow them down and possibly cost them a shot at the placement rewards that they're going after. That type of thing could work if there wasn't the element of time to deal with. Something like progression only events. If they expanded the prologue with more subs and created an achievement system for it then that could work. 
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I always thought having some sort of odometer for each character would be cool (downs, wins, etc). So Grocket would have a lot of wins, but not necessarily a lot of downs. (On that note, I wonder why we haven't gotten a Grocket nerf with the same reasoning as OML, something to the effect of "over 10% of matches won contain OML on the team." It's gotta be way higher for Grocket by now)

Anyway, I like your idea, but don't have one character's reward system be affected by another. If you want toto ra up a character's odometer, use that character. Considering the OML stat mentioned above, it looks like the devs track this stuff anyway, might as well make it visible in game and have some rewards linked to it.
  • Steel_Colt
    ABaker84 said:
    I always thought having some sort of odometer for each character would be cool (downs, wins, etc). So Grocket would have a lot of wins, but not necessarily a lot of downs. (On that note, I wonder why we haven't gotten a Grocket nerf with the same reasoning as OML, something to the effect of "over 10% of matches won contain OML on the team." It's gotta be way higher for Grocket by now)

Anyway, I like your idea, but don't have one character's reward system be affected by another. If you want toto ra up a character's odometer, use that character. Considering the OML stat mentioned above, it looks like the devs track this stuff anyway, might as well make it visible in game and have some rewards linked to it.
    Linking the Reward system to other characters as I described incentivizes us to use a larger part of our roster, which was why I came up with this idea in the first place. But looking strictly at the odometer as you describe it, they could leave out that part. 
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Looks like DDQ... Small reward for using limited slow roster (2*/1*) ... Okaish reward for using specific characters. I don't see that people like them that much(me included - even skip those 2* nodes half of the time)
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    ABaker84 said:

They didn't nerf OML because many people used him it was just the reason that they gave for doing it. I think the actual reason was over a gameplay mechanic that affected Carol. Anyway, if they nerfed characters because many people used them then they'd have to nerf Strange, Carol, Medusa, Gamora, America and Thanos besides Grocket. It just wouldn't be good for the game to nerf characters just because a lot of people enjoy using them. Now if they're ridiculously overpowered then I think that a nerf could be justified like if Medusa did a true heal for her team whenever a friendly tile was matched or if America threw down a critical for every color that she had more ap in than the enemy. God that would be brutal.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I'm all for daily, weekly, maybe even season long goals. Block X damage with protect tiles, do X damage with red matches, have X countdowns expire etc...Something else to think about besides winning the match would be good.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I'm definitely behind the idea of an achievement system, but it sounds like it'd be pretty rough on the devs to implement, assuming it involves some data collection on an individual player level. Could be wrong on that though. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be fun if they had season long challenges like.

1.  win 4 matches in a row.
    2.  win a match in 1 turn.
    3.  win a match with all spiderverse chars.

That kinda of achievement challenge would independent of leaderboards and alliance placement factors.  just recognition for a unique game play situations.

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    The last thing this game needs is to become MORE time consuming.
  • Steel_Colt
    NotBAMF said:
    Yes, let's not implement anymore features that might take time to complete, just recycle the same stuff we already have. Must be good for the life expectancy of the game. 

*sarcasm off*
    In all seriousness, nobody would be forcing you to chase after these achievements, neither would there be any real time pressure if they don't tie it to seasons or specific events. You can choose to go after them and use characters that are less fast, or choose not too.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    I like your idea, you only have to do the achievements or trophy if you want to it is only more work if you want to do it.  Think about the pride you could feel when you are the only person to get Bagman to 1000 wins. :)
  • Steel_Colt
    edited September 2018
    NotBAMF said:
    Yes, let's not implement anymore features that might take time to complete, just recycle the same stuff we already have. Must be good for the life expectancy of the game. 

*sarcasm off*
    In all seriousness, nobody would be forcing you to chase after these achievements, neither would there be any real time pressure if they don't tie it to seasons or specific events. You can choose to go after them and use characters that are less fast, or choose not too.
    Oh wow, really? This got flagged as abuse? Someone needs to put on their big boy panties and get over themselves. 

Edit: Everyone who saw the flagging of this comment coming, raise your hand.
    *raises hand*
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    ABaker84 said:

Everyone used OML with 1 cover. You need a champed Rocket to be useful.
    Rocket is also not useful in 5 star land. His usage is no where near what OML used to be. (Plus, that excuse they gave was always **** anyways.) 
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    NotBAMF said:
    The game can consume as little time as you'd liked.

I welcome ideas of ways to keep the game new and fresh. 
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    Replace the prologue with Gauntlet and reset it every season or so.  It would give us all a spot to use whoever we want at our own pace.  

And to make it harder and add the puzzle to it, change it to heroic after you go through it once.  (with the second clear worth a bunch more than the first clear.