Is there a reason why 5*s are barely boosted in boss events?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
It's weird to me that I'm finishing off using a level 563 OML in The Hunt to then go into the boss fight where he's boosted to level...467

I mean, we face enemies at CL8 or 9 levels, yet the 5*s are not boosted to the amount you'd usually need to have an easier time of a CL8 or 9 PvE event.

I'd understand if this was pure PvP, but the boss events are as PvE as this game gets, so holding back our 5*s doesn't aid in anything.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can only guess that they're not ready to (re?) introduce truly boosted 5*s into roster-based scaling.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    So that 5* players don't complain the Boss is too easy and they don't have anything to play on the weekend. The really strong 5* players already complain every time an easier Boss comes by, about them finishing it too fast. Imagine if they had Boosted 5*'s. 

I also found it weird when I first saw it, but I find some un boosted and/or boosted 4*'s powers more useful in Boss battles anyway.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Shintok17 said:
    So that 5* players don't complain the Boss is too easy and they don't have anything to play on the weekend. The really strong 5* players already complain every time an easier Boss comes by, about them finishing it too fast. Imagine if they had Boosted 5*'s. 

I also found it weird when I first saw it, but I find some un boosted and/or boosted 4*'s powers more useful in Boss battles anyway.
    Interesting, my alliance normally celebrates some time off.
    Complaints I see are usually revolving around reduced rewards tied to these events,  not that we finish too quickly.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Shintok17 said:

Meanwhile I *do* complain at having to chew through level 450+ enemies to get to the boss.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    If you are not mowing through these nodes even at CL 9 with a championed 5 boosted you are doing something wrong.  If it was higher the events would be a joke.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can only guess that they're not ready to (re?) introduce truly boosted 5*s into roster-based scaling.
    Roster based scaling for boss events needs to go away and be replaced by SCLs.  Should have happened a long time ago.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    If you are not mowing through these nodes even at CL 9 with a championed 5 boosted you are doing something wrong.  If it was higher the events would be a joke.
    There's not really much mowing going on when you have only just champed the character. Not when you're chewing through 50k HP per character, or more. Gotta love fighting Moonstone.

Unless your idea of mowing through counts as an hour+, I really don't see how it is as easy as you say.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's not really much mowing going on when you have only just champed the character. Not when you're chewing through 50k HP per character, or more. Gotta love fighting Moonstone.

Unless your idea of mowing through counts as an hour+, I really don't see how it is as easy as you say.
    If you have Okoye and/or Thor, the grass gets mowed on the weekend.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shintok17 said:

I have already reached max progression and my alliance will be done with round 8 in the third refresh.  I personally will enjoy not having to play PVE for a couple of days
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps the question is slightly backwards.  Why are 5's given massive boosts in normal PVE?  I would guess it is due to the fact that 5's are essential for some very hard nodes.  The devs realize that players have a lot of 5's in a undercovered and/or underleveled state, and that changing that is far easier said than done.

You could go to the store and spend your way to a champed 4*; best of luck doing that for a Classic 5.  So they make the 5's massively boosted to help reduce the anchor effect.  That is, you are forced to take someone that might only have 1 cover, so they boost them a lot to make the matches fairer.

The boss boost for 5's is the same as the normal PVP boost, which we see in some off-season events when 5's are boosted.  So it's not that surprising to see them boosted to the same level.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    If they're boosted so little, why are they boosted at all?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    If a 5-star is boosted, but you don't have it on roster, is it really boosted at all? :open_mouth:
    Something to think about.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    If a 5-star is boosted, but you don't have it on roster, is it really boosted at all? :open_mouth:
    This is a bit like taking a character into PvP with a Support attached...
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    This is why I only use Bag-man, Howard, Yeleena, and Devil Dinosaur in events.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    boss events are easy enough as it is
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

The main reason is there's a big difference between the boost when a single 5* is the "featured character" (the required character for the 5* node,) and when they're "on the boosted list" normally.  It's a more stark contrast as there are no weekly boosted 5*s, but we see the same mild boost when 5*s are featured in PVPs such as "Divine Champions," "Women of Marvel," or "Nefarious Foes."

It's fair, I think.  The 5* node is a lot tougher, and if you have an under-covered version of the character it gives you a chance, at least.  Meanwhile when you have a choice, it's much more reasonable to give a mild boost since 5*s are already quite a bit more powerful than 4*s innately.