Strange Sights Placement

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Someone needs to explain to me how I can place Top 3 in all the Strange Sights subs but end up as 11th overall. That's just wrong. I mean, I work my tinykitty off all weekend to get Top 10 and then miss it by one. I get that different people are doing different subs on different days but in the end we're all doing the same three subs. Are different subs worth different points on different days? And if that is the case why in the tinykitty is that the case??? Seriously, I can't wrap my head around it, so if someone can spell it out for me that would be greatly appreciated.

I ain't even mad, it's just one cover for a so-so new release that I'll never use unless she's required, but this is the second time I've been burned for top 10 in Strange Sights during a new character release and I want to understand.

But it ain't all about me. How'd y'all do?

Comments

• Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    Someone needs to explain to me how I can place Top 3 in all the Strange Sights subs but end up as 11th overall.
    Say there's 1000 people in the bracket.  997 of them do door 1, 2 then 3.  But you and two others do door 3, then 1 then 2.  You would obviously be in the top 3 each day but it's conceivable that there were 10 more among the other 997 who got a net higher score than you.

Sorry for your luck.  Not to rub it in but I managed 8th.  Didn't realize until today that top 10 gets you an LT during a release event.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean, you basically describe it yourself. Your points were enough to get you 3rd in your subs but 11th in your main event bracket. They're entirely different groups of people, sub placement doesn't interact with main event placement, and you got less competitive subs than your main event bracket.

My split was even greater by comparison (final finish a lazy 90th or so, I forget, but I was t10 in at least two of the subs, because I waited to join and got much less competitive subs this time around).
  • Dormammu
    Say there's 1000 people in the bracket.  997 of them do door 1, 2 then 3.  But you and two others do door 3, then 1 then 2.  You would obviously be in the top 3 each day but it's conceivable that there were 10 more among the other 997 who got a net higher score than you.
    But if I'm hitting each sub with perfectly optimal timing (which you have to do to get Top 3) how are they getting that many more points than me by just doing them in a different order? Maybe I'm just dumb but I don't get it.

(Congrats on 8th BTW!)
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Dormammu said:
    But if I'm hitting each sub with perfectly optimal timing (which you have to do to get Top 3) how are they getting that many more points than me by just doing them in a different order? Maybe I'm just dumb but I don't get it.

(Congrats on 8th BTW!)
    Your optimal may just not be as fast as someone else's optimal. It's perfectly likely that 8 people who clear faster than you were in the other doors. Did you track your overall placement after each sub? That's a better indicator of where you'll end up rather than individual sub placement.
  • Rockwell75
    edited August 2018
    Dormammu said:

(Congrats on 8th BTW!)
    The order doesn't matter.  What was the point differential in the top 10 of your bracket?  In mine there was less than a 200 point difference betwee the person in first and the one in 10th.  Also who are you playing with? Do you have Okoye champed?  That alone would have shaved about 20-30 minutes of time off your clears each day-- which could easily account for a few hundred points at the end of an event.   People with the right characters-- Thanos, Thor, Okoye, champed essential-- can do their clears in less time, and therefore get more points--  than those without them.  My half life Thor and JJ served me well but I couldn't compete with people who had a champed and boosted Okoye, and therefore I didn't stand a chance at top 5.
  • Space Dwarf
    Space Dwarf Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    It’s still based on how quickly you do your 1st four clears. Plus there are varying levels of difficulty for each door. It’s quicker & easier to finish the clears in door 3 than any other. Door 2 is the hardest with door 1 the next hardest. All of that is taken into account. Even though you’re running different doors, it’s all one big giant glorified sub. Then you run your optimal grind. Again that’s going to be different for each door but it all balances out in the end. Unfortunately for the OP, that means 10 other players in your bracket played more optimally. 
  • Dormammu
    I suppose that makes sense, someone(s) doing the subs in a different order that I can't see clearing them that much faster. I do have Okoye champed but I'm forced to use 3-star Thanos due to a lack of covers on my 5-star version. I didn't think it'd be that much of a difference though because with Okoye's boost my 3-star Thanos was wiping them out with no problem.

I checked out the point differential. Like you said, first place only had 200 more points than me. And how's this for a kick in the teeth... I missed top 10 by one point.  :/
  • Rockwell75
    Dormammu said:
    I missed top 10 by one point.  :/
    Ouch.  I've been there and it stings.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I suppose that makes sense, someone(s) doing the subs in a different order that I can't see clearing them that much faster. I do have Okoye champed but I'm forced to use 3-star Thanos due to a lack of covers on my 5-star version. I didn't think it'd be that much of a difference though because with Okoye's boost my 3-star Thanos was wiping them out with no problem.

I checked out the point differential. Like you said, first place only had 200 more points than me. And how's this for a kick in the teeth... I missed top 10 by one point.  :/

With Okoye boosted 3-star Thanos can be quite effective as her black can boost his Court Death damage. Fivestar Thanos stuns Okoye, so he doesn't get the damage boost.

But yeah, Strange Sights is tricky to get right. I had one of my worst finishes ever this time...

• WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    This is why I preferred Alliance's events for new releases  :)
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Ultimately the difference in scores is based on how long the points are left to recharge.

if someone clears faster than you and grinds fully later than you, they will score more points. If they’re in a different sub you just won’t see them.

You'd be amazed how proficient some ppl are, not to mention how much roster size impacts clear/grind times.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,762 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Someone needs to explain to me how I can place Top 3 in all the Strange Sights subs but end up as 11th overall. That's just wrong. I mean, I work my tinykitty off all weekend to get Top 10 and then miss it by one. I get that different people are doing different subs on different days but in the end we're all doing the same three subs. Are different subs worth different points on different days? And if that is the case why in the tinykitty is that the case??? Seriously, I can't wrap my head around it, so if someone can spell it out for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Top 10 in first and third sub, top 20 in second: 29th in the event.
    Looking at this discrepancy reminds me why I don't bother with placement too much: life's too short ;)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alfje17 said:
    Dormammu said:

Top 10 in first and third sub, top 20 in second: 29th in the event.
    Looking at this discrepancy reminds me why I don't bother with placement too much: life's too short ;)

T10 of 333 people = T30 overall.
    T10 of 333 people = T30 overall.
    T20 of 333 people = T60 overall.

What discrepancy? If anything, 29th is too high.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure if this was clear, but as with any pve, the subs are worth more points as the event progresses. So in Strange Sights, if you are slower on sub 3 and whichever door you chose, that impacts your overall placement, if others are able to more optimally clear the doors they chose for sub 3.
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    I've been wondering why I was Top 5 in all three subs of Strange Sights but 14th overall.  Now I know.  
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I often question what’s going on in this event. I’m 100% convinced that it is legit and fair, so I’m not crying about anything. I get the overall idea, but it is very weird overall. I finished t25 in every sub but didn’t crack t100 overall. Once I saw that there was no chance at t100 I gave up. Like I said, I’m certain it’s all normal, but it puzzles me nonetheless 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sorry, the same thing happens to me every time I play Strange Sights too.  My placement in each sub is ALWAYS better than my placement overall.  It doesn't make sense to me either. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is this hard?

Its like your in a 30 kid class.  The teacher splits you all into 10 kid sections.

You can be the smartest kid in your section, and still be dumber than every other kid in the other 2 sections.

The groups don't have to be evenly mixed or split

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    1000/3.
    Math. It's kinda hard, yo.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    The other thing to keep in mind is that there aren't that many players trying hard overall in the event.  I can consistently enter PVE's in the 600's (not my general goal, but it happens when I decide to not care much) and finish in the top 50 or even 20 sometimes.  Last night I entered a PVP at 461, played 1 match - about 37 points - and moved up 100 places.  By the time I was at 900 I was in the top 18, I think.

So you being one of the best in your sub doesn't equate at all with being best overall.  It basically means you are in a subgroup of the people trying hard, which again isn't that many.  I finished #1 in the second  sub for Strange Sights and ultimately ended 15th.  Which was still really good, and I'm not complaining.