Are any of the 4s released in the last few months worth chasing?

2»

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    tiomono said:
    But the power creep is real, right.... Right?
    I think the devs like to keep us guessing so we do not get settled into strict patterns. 

Plenty of the older characters have downsides too that if they had a support tailor made for them you could make the same argument.

Imagine some supports for older guys in the 4* area

Falcon or Sandman getting a percentage chance at free protects on matches.

Lockjaw getting extra charged tiles

X23 having a chance at generating red on green matches.

The list could go on. The newer characters are fine.

But red iso is so scarce that it takes forever to even level up one support. Plus supports don't even work in pvp so you'd be using them in pve. Let's say that Elektra or Banner got a character specific support that made them pretty decent. Who would even want to put in the time to get the support leveled up just so that they could play with them? I'd rather see more character reworks. I mean imagine if Banner got a rework that made him into an absolute 5* powerhouse. Not to the point that he's blatantly OP but where people would seriously think about skipping the fight. That's what I'd like to see and not just "oh sweet this support gives me a 12% chance of generating two purple ap whenever I do a match 5."
    I too would love to see more reworks. I was just pointing out that there are plenty of older characters that are not super strong either. Nobody is making the claim that they were weaker on purpose so the devs could try and make money off of supports made specifically for them. People would just call it power creep.

Now we have several characters that are not top of the class if you are already established in 4* land but are pretty good if they are your entry into the tier. So having a broad range of usefulness for the tier will be great for players coming into it.

The new characters are fine. They are just not seen that way to people that are deeper into the 4* tier.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:

Now we have several characters that are not top of the class if you are already established in 4* land but are pretty good if they are your entry into the tier. So having a broad range of usefulness for the tier will be great for players coming into it.

The new characters are fine. They are just not seen that way to people that are deeper into the 4* tier.
    Alot of things just depend on where exactly you are in the roster lifecycle.  Imagine if AC was your first and only 4* champ.  That would actually suck horribly cause you'd never have the benefit of her hiding behind massive 5*.  So alot of value comes from if that char is meant to be a lead in front.  Support for 5* etc...

The last 8 are a great starter set if your in that 3*-4* transition.  Not so much value if your high 4* or well established in 5* land.

But it can definitely be fun to set up alot of those "next gen" chars.  I'm Shure Ghost will hit like a tank once she tanks most colors ahead of valky nico etc...

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    tiomono said:

Alot of things just depend on where exactly you are in the roster lifecycle.  Imagine if AC was your first and only 4* champ.  That would actually suck horribly cause you'd never have the benefit of her hiding behind massive 5*.  So alot of value comes from if that char is meant to be a lead in front.  Support for 5* etc...

The last 8 are a great starter set if your in that 3*-4* transition.  Not so much value if your high 4* or well established in 5* land.

But it can definitely be fun to set up alot of those "next gen" chars.  I'm Shure Ghost will hit like a tank once she tanks most colors ahead of valky nico etc...

AC could be a great first. You would capitalize on her red as she would be tanking her 3 colors over the 3 stars.

That's exactly what I am saying. The newer characters can be good to great (or a dud) depending on where in the tier you are. Or they could just be a dud anyway lol.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you just want to use them for fun, I like Iron Spider and Shuri A LOT. 

Playing in 5* land, do I use them? No. But if I'm just playing...
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    I think you are greatly undervaluing Chavez's red when she's not the weakest character on the team.  To a 5* player like you, that power might seem like an afterthought, but when she is tanking all her colours that match damage multiplier is really noticeable (and increases each time you make a match).
    While she might be a useful support to 5* players, don't assume she's useless to those of us in the 4* tier.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    In think the supports started with Black Panther, so...

Black Panther (King of Wakanda)- Solid mid tier character. High fun factor. Needs the right teammates to shine. Unfortunately has a lot of cover overlap with solid teammate options. 

Shuri (Master Engineer)- Top tier.  Has a niche no one else does (fortified tiles) and as such you can’t just plug in another character that does what she does. Boosted she gets nice match damage from fortifieds but you mainly play her for the AP cost manipulation.

Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior)- Top tier. Ironically, like the man she feeds, she is better at lower levels. High fun factor, mainly played as an AP generator. But her red boosted is beyond brutal as well and an overall cool mechanic.

Jubilee (Uncanny X-Men)- Trash tier. Her powers are too expensive and honestly don’t do much even booosted.

Black Widow (Infinity War)- Solid mid-tier like T’Challa. She’s a jack of all trades master of none character. A bunch of cool tricks but does nothing particularly elite. Play when boosted. 

Spider-Man (Infinity War)- I’m in the minority but as a 4* player I LOVE him. He is mid-tier with Panther and Widow, perhaps even low tier, but with his Spider pals he actually leaps over everyone on this list into elite tier. His web generation with Miles AP creation and Gwen’s healing make an all around self-sustaining meta team where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. People say “oh he has to be high levels to tank”, but he can make more than enough webs tanking blue/green naturally. As mentioned he’s also fun.

Wiccan (Billy Kaplan)- Trash tier. The Demiurge is a cute gimmick that takes way too much setup for minimal payoff. He needs to tank to get said payoff and will take tons of damage when not tanking. His green is expensive and niche (mainly a rocket counter but rocket will kill him before he gets enough AP to cast it), and his yellow while interesting is in a long line of “who cares” defensive powers like Elektra and Spider-Woman. 

Ghost (Quantum Thief)- Top tier. The elite match damage and tasty red nuke make her worth it. What stops her from being elite tier (which no one on this list is) is the high cost of her purple (necessary to set things in motion) and needing said purple in order to make red worth it. 

Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men)- I haven’t really looked at her but many are saying super trash.

Nebula (Infinity War)- I would say she’s just below mid tier in the low tier. Maybe Elektra level? Not utter trash and has uses boosted. Her main issue is the color scheme. There are SO MANY 4* with those exact colors who do everything better. So she’s really going to be riding the bench a lot. 

TLDR:

No one is elite tier.

Shuri, Valkyrie and Ghost are top tier.

Widow, Panther, and Spidey are mid-tier and worth playing either boosted or with the right teammmates. 

Nebula is low tier. 

Wiccan, Jubilee, and Emma are trash tier.

But really, six of the ten are feeders and worth chasing for that alone haha. 

• kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    I think that Ghost is the best of the bunch. And more valuable if you are not a 5 tier player.

Emma (Stone? Frost? Who knows!) and Black Widow are really bad. I've got 'em and already sold they for better 4*
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards

Spider-Man - Another victim of the dilution problem, as you get the most mileage out of him when he tanks his colors. His green is useless about 9 times out of 10, his blue as mentioned requires tanking, and the strength of his red is based on how much you've gotten out of his green and blue up until that point. Perhaps he can still be decent on the right Spider-Team, but not currently with Gwen's & P5rker's red being so much better. 

You’re looking at him wrong. Green and blue are his best attributes, so an uninspiring red doesn’t matter.

On a Miles/Gwen/Iron team his role is to create ‘free’ web tiles for Miles to convert to AP and Gwen to healing.

He’s diminished against Medusa because her countdown will destroy web tiles every time he is hit, but beyond that he’s an amazing accelerator.

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    kk3thess said:
    I think that Ghost is the best of the bunch. And more valuable if you are not a 5 tier player.

Emma (Stone? Frost? Who knows!) and Black Widow are really bad. I've got 'em and already sold they for better 4*
    I wouldn't say Black Widow is really bad, she does adequately as a support character. But in the 5* tier, BW is better as a Team-Up than a teammate.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the logic of "this character at baby champ is trash tier because the rest of my roster is in the mid-300+ range" is a hilariously narrow view of character design. To speak to the "who has Carnage where" convo from earlier, I'm on day 939 and my Carnage is 5/5/1 with 2 saved, and even that is because I decided to bonus hero him a while back to get him over 10 covers. RNG is gonna RNG, right? 

From someone who isn't really having the "I'm a 5* player" problem with no 4*s above 286, my perspective on these characters is:

Shuri - I champed her early because i liked her AP games, but she also adds some good damage from her fortification match damage as well as enemy special removal by casting red at 5 covers

Valkyrie - I think her primary utility is in that AP gain, but she brings some (dragon) fangs to the table as well. High value for sure

Ghost - seems good, mine isn't leveled to really test. I've fought some impressive ones in PVP though

Widow - I don't see the value at all. She doesn't do anything that I wouldn't rather have Shuri doing. I similarly never saw the value in 2* Widow, though I found 3* widow to be a killer that I used a lot. Other support characters or batteries have teeth of their own, but this one is just real bad, with sub-par animations at that.

Panther - I like P4nther a ton, his defense tile match damage starts to stack quickly, and when paired with Shuri's fortification match damage, the math on it almost seems like it's a bug. Like if you match 3 fortified defense tiles, I've had that do 40k damage spread across a couple damage pools; I guess it's the strike tiles that come out from his repeater boosting it up. Definitely a solid mid-to-good tier character for my roster, but he's not going to get you those last few points in a PVP event since he takes too long to get moving

Spider-Man - I didn't like him at release because I had an awful miles and a terrible gwen, but I've turned the corner on him recently. But chasing this guy means chasing the rest of the spider-fam, because they play best together in my experience

Nebula - I want to like her more than i do. I'd probably bring Ghost Rider in instead of her if I wanted attack spam on those colors. If she had the Guardians affiliation I'd consider running her with 4ocket, but she doesn't. I prefer Yondu's nuke and heal to hers. She seems like she could play really will with P4nther since he is a great special spammer, but they share too many colors - particularly as a third for Shuri/P4nther

Wiccan - I have mine at 13, but not leveled or champed - seems like he'd be good with the right team. I have suspicion he plays well with charge tile generators like Jubillee, Lockjaw, or L4dy Thor, so you can gather multicolored AP faster if you want to chase Demiurge

Jubilee - this one is trash tier for sure; kind of doing Gambit Stuff in a lame way (overwriting specials, creating charge tiles)

Emma - Low tier - everything she does is done better by others. One of the most egregious specific support releases (Stepford Cuckoos needs to be a passive on Diamond Form)