Lilana's Mediocre Contract

Options
FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
Just packed it.  Think it might have a use in legacy (Demon of Dark Schemes for 21 damage. mmm tasty).  But how much of a use does it really have in standard?  Demonlord Bozilek and a few Demon token generators maybe...but that's a tinykitty of a setup with no guaranteed follow-through, considering half your cards that generate demons don't count as demons themselves.

If only Arcane Adaptation included Demon in it's creature types...if only.

How useful do you think the card is?

Comments

• garycsl
    garycsl Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I ran Contract with the only 3 standard Demons, Rite and Priest to give born a Demon, and other 4 cards as draw engines.
    You just need to dump your hands every turn and draw a new hand. WIth OB's 1st ability and Archive and other engines you can draw like 10 cards a turn, which should pretty much include 1-2 Demons within.

In fact it could be a deck that makes Reliquary Tower looks useful (still, it's not).
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Using the demon planewalker with a demon deck.  I like the theme ;)
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There's also might be some demons in sets to come ... Maybe not that much in ravnica though ...
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Bil said:
    There's also might be some demons in sets to come ... Maybe not that much in ravnica though ...
    'them urban kind of demons.  Enjoys taking the subway and a morning latte.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bil said:
    *coughRakdoscough*
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    Bil said:
    *coughRakdoscough*
    httpsorig00deviantartnet941df200700338coffee_demon_by_draguunthorjpg
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rakdos was FURIOUS! When they closed his favorite little bookstore to put in a new Starbucks.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    Bil said:
    *coughRakdoscough*
       Wonder how broken he might be if he's back in the next set.
  • FindingHeart8
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Bil said:
    DumasAG said:
    Bil said:
    *coughRakdoscough*
       Wonder how broken he might be if he's back in the next set.
    Both prior versions of Rakdos were either really useful or dead weight.

Dropping a powerful Rakdos early game after hitting and being able to cast all your other creatures quicker?
    Great!

Not being able to deal damage and unable to cast him?
    Notsogreat...

Hitting your opponent and making them sacrifice half their permanents
    Great!

Losing half your permanents?
    Notsogreat...

I'm hoping, good or bad, his new abilities will at least continue the trend of being interesting :)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Just had my first match against a player using Liliana's Contract.

Groundbreaking news: The AI can't use it as well as we can.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Just had my first match against a player using Liliana's Contract.

• Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I broke ground on that before M19 was released! Put away the ribbons and confetti!
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    But I like ribbons and confetti!

:'(:'(:'(
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's a card that I see being more cute than useful . There aren't many demons in standard. There will probably be a couple on ravnica . At least that one guy with the rageahol problem. I'm of a mind that a card that makes you want to play junk cards is fun, but you'd probably be better off just playing good cards instead
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    It's a card that I see being more cute than useful . There aren't many demons in standard. There will probably be a couple on ravnica . At least that one guy with the rageahol problem. I'm of a mind that a card that makes you want to play junk cards is fun, but you'd probably be better off just playing good cards instead
    oh I do have a strong appreciation for cards like that (both in mtgpq and paper mtg).  I just hope they add a few more demons so it goes from junk, to a fun but also at least somewhat formidable playstyle.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I really like how paper magic plans "types" ahead of time. Things you think are Meh change as other sets are released.
    This especially happens with one set focussing on creature and then the next set focussing on class and it just flips everything around. Knights and goblins and wizards and stuff through the last few sets were great.

So I am 100% sure this is a setup for Rakdos in Ravnica and that there will almost certainly be common Demons again even. (Just like what M19 did with Dragons!)
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kinesia said:

I really like how paper magic plans "types" ahead of time. Things you think are Meh change as other sets are released.
    This especially happens with one set focussing on creature and then the next set focussing on class and it just flips everything around. Knights and goblins and wizards and stuff through the last few sets were great.

So I am 100% sure this is a setup for Rakdos in Ravnica and that there will almost certainly be common Demons again even. (Just like what M19 did with Dragons!)
    Considering that rakdos himself is a demon,  I'm thinking you're probably onto something