Gating 5* levelling

Options
2»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is a bummer that SCL in one mode is doing something that it fundamentally isn't in a different mode (controlling opponent difficulty). Over-loading concepts like that is a really poor user experience decision.

I've been wondering if gating characters out of SCLs by level (not star tier, but level) isn't a better method of establishing parity. This targets the roster, rather than the player, which is what happens with the current SCLs. So I could use my lvl 315 DareDevil (5/1/0) in SCL7 but not 6 (for instance), and similarly I wouldn't run the risk of seeing lvl 450 Daredevils either. Obviously the tuning of the specific windows needs to happen, but now you have people able to choose an SCL that works for their actual roster rather than one that they are stuck with because they've been say farming 1*s for XP to get rewards or whatever.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    On a side note, I wish D3 would explain how the MMR works.  They don't have to give away proprietary information, just some more details other than "it picks rosters with similarly leveled characters". 
    It's entirely possible they don't know how it works.  :o
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Options
    There are documented topics written by the devs in this forum on how MMR are finetuned over the years. I doubt there's anything secretive about MMR in MPQ.

MMR
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/42299/new-versus-matchmaking-in-nefarious-foes-and-beyond

What opponents you can see and vice versa
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/26827/changes-coming-in-season-xiii

Scoring in PvP
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/30142/changes-to-scoring-in-versus-events

Whose your Defensive Team in PvP
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/51456/season-xxxii-highlights-changes

I remember the previous survey before the latest one asked about MMR. They gave different options on what type of opponents players want to face in PvP. 

I suppose something is in the work for this to "fix" PvP.
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1) Those links lead to what are essentially vague "market-speak" descriptions of changes to matchmaking; they don't actually provide sufficient information for players to tailor their roster approach to minimize their MMR impact.

2) Those posts are 2+ years old, and my PvP concerns are based on my experience in the last few months, so clearly they have failed to solve the problem (IMO).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was actually responding to the posts about lack of info about MMR. While those posts are old, it is still relevant because this is how PvP pretty much work today. As for marketing speak, those explanation looks pretty straightforward to me. 

The new Matchmaking takes the player's character levels, power levels and current event score into account when determining an opponent.
    You’ll generally see opponents with a minimum difficulty of roughly one star level below you. (Players with maxed 3-star teams will see maxed 2-star teams and stronger, for example.) If there's a shortage of opponents worth a meaningful number of points in this band, you can be matched with easier teams than that. And if you climb high enough in the event, anyone can see you as an opponent, even if they’re much higher level.
    The upper bound on how difficult a team we match you with gradually increases as it becomes harder to find good matches for you, so you can still expect matches to get harder as you climb higher in an event.

I missed out the link about looking at the first page of your roster to figure out the average level.

Back in June this year, they sent out a survey with a focus on PvP and MMR. For example, they asked about being able to choose a small set of opponents with various levels of difficulty, wider MMR etc. I can't remember the exact questions. So, they could be working on how to change how PvP works.

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better I often get matched against opponents with up to lvl 500 5*s, so 30-40 levels higher than my biggest.

One thing worth remembering is that you’re fighting AI...you can naturally defeat teams much “stronger” than yours. Hell, I’ve beaten 550s with a fair wind and a decent board.

There’s also the skip button 🙂
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was actually responding to the posts about lack of info about MMR. While those posts are old, it is still relevant because this is how PvP pretty much work today. As for marketing speak, those explanation looks pretty straightforward to me. 

You’ll generally see opponents with a minimum difficulty of roughly one star level below you. (Players with maxed 3-star teams will see maxed 2-star teams and stronger, for example.) If there's a shortage of opponents worth a meaningful number of points in this band, you can be matched with easier teams than that. And if you climb high enough in the event, anyone can see you as an opponent, even if they’re much higher level

Yeah, that's clearly completely wrong.
    You won't see teams that are weaker than you until you break MMR.