Roster Slot Costs for Newbies

Options
CT1888
CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
So I consistently score the game low on the polls on whether of recommend the game to a friend or not based on how expensive roster slots are and how many characters there are now to collect. 
One way to improve this would be to reduce the early stage costs again, shift the ramp further away from early players who get easily swamped. 

Another way would be to give a roster slot each shield rank up to say rank 50, just take the pressure off a little bit, but there would still be a driver to get hp (since undoubtedly is one of the things that post the bills) due to the sheer number of characters. Sure, some people would expect to get those 50 slots if they were past the stage, so maybe if you are rank 51-75 you get 20 slots and 76-100 you get 10, over that you get none (are under 50 you get half of your rank in free slots maybe). This isn't about being unfair to vets, it's about creating a place where people are more likely to stay, rather than be put off by the number of characters. 

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Considering that roster slot contributes to a majority of their HP revenues, which is about 60 to 70%, giving away a total of 50 roster slots cut away a lot of their revenues. The 5th to 54th roster slots cost a total of 18275 HP, which is almost equivalent to giving away each new player 2 Stark Salary (~200 USD). The loss of revenue will increase significantly for those players in the higher Shield Ranking.

By giving away roster slots freely to new players, they don't have the urge to spent. There is no "pain" factor that makes them want to spend.

This is a noble idea, but does it make business sense? To me, it doesn't. 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,563 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't recommend this game for the exact same reason and the only times I spent money on this game was to buy slots in the first few months.

Giving away free slots will never happen, but maybe they could implement a permanent slot sale based on SCL or time played? The "800HP for a slot" sale a while back was definitely popular!
  • Rhadamanthus23
    Rhadamanthus23 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Or, at minimum, maybe they could add "1 Free Roster Slot" to the Taco Vault?

Edit: Or any vault. Plus, they could give 2 away in the VIP cycle for a month.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There already is a 1000 HP item in the Taco vault, that's a roster spot right there - more if you are still building your roster.
  • Rhadamanthus23
    Rhadamanthus23 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Quebbster said:

There already is a 1000 HP item in the Taco vault, that's a roster spot right there - more if you are still building your roster.
    Good point! What i was thinking was that, in the Taco Vault, the 1000 HP is a 4* item, like the 10,000 ISO. But, 5000 ISO is a 3* item. Since a Roster Slot is very valuable, but not as versatile as 1000 HP, they could add a new item of Roster Slot as a 3*? That would give you more than one chance at it. The only real concern would be that it would be too high-valued for people just starting out, when Roster Slots are cheaper.