Team Covers?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm not posting this in the Suggestions & Feedback forum because I'm not even sure it's a neat idea, so instead I'll try and jog some discussion.

What do you think of having 'team covers' as well as lone characters? There is a certain precedent for this set by the two Rocket & Groot duos as well as Cloak & Dagger. For example, there could be a playable 'Fantastic Four' cover which has 3 colors/abilities and set match damage just like any other character.

This is probably a silly idea, given that we're still missing characters like Namor, Cable, and Kitty who should be a priority to get in the game. It would also really complicate who you could bring into a fight - like, could Reed Richards be teamed with the FF?

I would love a 'Wrecking Crew' character/cover, personally. While none of the Wrecking Crew interests me as a solo character, I love them as a team.

Comments

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    I like it, but perhaps only if none of the individual members of the team were allowed to be playable single characters in MPQ

Wrecking Crew is a good example.

How about:
    Serpent Society
    Starjammers
    X-Babies  - I'm still trying to get them in MPQ somehow ;-)
    Shi'Ar
    Alpha Flight
    Reavers
    Acolytes

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be down for more pairs. I kinda want to see Colleen Wing and Misty Knight, and I wanted an Ant-Man & The Wasp (Scott/Hope or Hank/Janet) combo for the longest time. And I think Luke Cage & Iron Fist could make an interesting pair. 

But I think running all four Fantastic Four members together would be a little odd. Like, it would be nice to get to use them all at the same time, but you're looking at three powers to represent the entire team, and the general oddity of only being able to replace them with a single other character (like, you could run the F4, Surfer, and Doom, but as soon as you take the F4 off you can only replace them with one character, it just starts to feel  more "off" the bigger the single teams get)

I'd be down for the Wrecking Crew as well, but I'd want them villain only, so it wouldn't matter if they're all one "cover" or not.

Though in general, I'd rather have more single characters and the occasional special pairing. Like, take Alpha Flight for example. They haven't been popular enough to get a single character into the game so far, releasing them as a group would be taking a fraction of each individuals popularity and abilities and trying to hodgepodge them together, just doesn't feel right. I realize that's a little arbitrary, but it's what "groups" make me think. I'd rather pick one and release others as supports, and if we get to it eventually you can release more as characters (since Ice said in the Hulkling thread that being a support doesn't prohibit them being available as a character). If anything, "fixing" supports and fully releasing them could fix such problems. Instead of needing the F4 as a single "character" so they can be played together, you release all four as supports, then you can cherry pick which ones you want as front-facing characters and which ones are support. And you'd be free to, say, take the Human Torch support and equip it to Spider-Man instead.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,762 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought of something like this to be the 6* tier: each cover is a team/group. Characters from lower tiers can be attached to the 6* earning you better rewards.
    When the game starts, you can choose 3 of the attached characters to play with and maybe they can tag team: f.ex start with R&G4 to get Strike tiles out, then replace with R&G3 after turn 1.

Pretty sure this would be unworkable, so alternatively each group cover counts as 1 character, but every power is a different member of the team with maybe one power being a sort of dial where you choose which member is active.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    I think it's a great idea!

Also like Wrecking Crew & Serpent Society, Warriors Three, Howling Commandos, Damage Control, Power Pack
    Dark Avengers - You can combine your 1/2* covers to become one 5* Group?

I think the interface is kinda already there: 'Sploits has a 3x3 grid with badges that correspond with certain abilities. So you could pick 4 (sue,Greyhulk,spidey, shulk) and run the team with that grouping of powers. I think there would have to be a lot of overlap of powers, Like every Serpent Society pairing has the same stun, but constrictor with princess python would have stun,damage and ap theft, swap in Bmamba and you have stun,aptheft and strikes.
    Similar to "sploits there would just be a default set, so unless you unlocked a special pairing(wolv/GR/GHulk/SPidey) you would just get the regular old FF4 kit that does boring mild stuff.

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    My take on it would be that the team cover was your full team. So this way it would be like playing a solo character, just that the character was a team. I have said before the 6* tier should not work like the other tiers (and should never happen). This would let the 6* feel different and thematically more powerful. Want to make Thor feel stronger than 5*? 6* Avengers cover. How about 5* Daredevil? 6* Defenders.

As is, I think we know what team covers are... supports. Or they could have more powers that call in their teammates like Lockjaw, Fury, or 5* Cap. 

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Back in the days of cardboard non-digital CCGs I played Marvel Overpower, and my single favorite "character" was the team card for the X-Babies. Each of their attacks was one character in the team, with a slightly scaled down of the adult version's mega-attack.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    Sim Mayor said:
    Back in the days of cardboard non-digital CCGs I played Marvel Overpower, and my single favorite "character" was the team card for the X-Babies. Each of their attacks was one character in the team, with a slightly scaled down of the adult version's mega-attack.
    That's exactly where I went to get my team recommendations. I LOVED Overpower and still have my extensive collection. I play it with my 3 sons now.
    X-Babies ruled!
  • MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Would like more pairings and suprised we never got antman and wasp for the movie tie. Maybe a cage/fist team might be a future possibility. As for teams I’m for if it suits the characters like fantastic 4, maybe that could be their 5* variant
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur said:
    Warriors Three
    Warriors Three would be perfect for this idea. With a Sif support.  :)