Pack Odds Display Issue *Updated (8/16/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited August 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to your reports, we have confirmed that there is a display issue that affects Heroic Packs.

The actual odds for Heroic Packs are unchanged, however they are currently showing the 1x odds, instead of the 10x/40x odds. With tomorrow's data patch, we will be changing this to show the expected 10x/40x pack odds again.

Having said that though, we think that we can provide even more clarity with their pack odds. In order to make them less confusing moving forward, in the coming days, we'll be providing additional info buttons that display the odds for each specific pack above their purchase button. (Much like the Supports store)

Thanks for your continued support! The reports on this have been much appreciated!

Update: Players should now see individual Info buttons above each of the Heroic Pack's purchase options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    As I have said many times, the current token odds splash page is confusing at best and outright deceptive at worst. Some improvement had been desperately needed for more than a year, so this news is welcome.

I am cautiously optimistic, but reserve judgment until the change is live.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I too am glad that there is going to be an improvement to odds display. I can’t imagine they can make it worse than the display now. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hang on, that sounds even worse than an unannounced change to the odds.  There is nothing in game to indicate that the odds of receiving a 4* or 3* character depend on the type of pack bought, so why would I expect that it only applies to 10- and 40-packs?

This sounds like an admission that the game has been systematically overstating the odds of certain packs available for sale on the store for an unknown amount of time.  If that's not outright fraud, it seems awfully close.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Hang on, that sounds even worse than an unannounced change to the odds.  There is nothing in game to indicate that the odds of receiving a 4* or 3* character depend on the type of pack bought, so why would I expect that it only applies to 10- and 40-packs?

10 and 40 packs have increased odds of drawing 4* characters. This has been known for a long time. It's why Heroic 10 packs at the end of the season are highly desired (along with those that come via daily resupply).

KGB
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Personally I'd much rather they just showed us the damn percentages. I understand that they don't want to show the miniscule numbers that would result in, but tough ****. Give me the actual data, not some approximated fractions.
  • jamesh
    KGB said:
    jamesh said:

10 and 40 packs have increased odds of drawing 4* characters. This has been known for a long time. It's why Heroic 10 packs at the end of the season are highly desired (along with those that come via daily resupply).
    Based only on the information visible in the game, I would expect a higher chance of bonus heroes for the 10- and 40-packs, which I would expect to lead to more 3* and 4* covers over all.

What I wouldn't expect is that the only odds displayed in the game don't actually apply to the 1-pack tokens.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    jamesh said:

KGB
    Two that I have received from daily resupply had the worst results ever. All 2* covers. I think I've only ever gotten a handful this way. Where as the numerous season progress reward at 4k, I have only ever gotten all 2* covers once. Don't rank high enough to get the season placement 10-packs. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    KGB said:
    jamesh said:

KGB
    Two that I have received from daily resupply had the worst results ever. All 2* covers. I think I've only ever gotten a handful this way. Where as the numerous season progress reward at 4k, I have only ever gotten all 2* covers once. Don't rank high enough to get the season placement 10-packs. 
    Well, it is still random, of course.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    I too am glad that there is going to be an improvement to odds display. I can’t imagine they can make it worse than the display now. 
    Well it’s in game now. I may have been proven wrong...  All my problems with the old odds display are still there. Now you have to click a button, scroll around like 3-8 pages of pictures, then repeat on the next button in order to compare odds between 1x, 10x, 40x. Slow clap. 
  • Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Took you long enough to confirm there was an issue. It's been there since the odds came in place of the percentages.

Well done for putting a remedy in place
  • jamesh
    The new display is a big improvement.  I'm still concerned about the revelation that you were previously misrepresenting the odds for single cover tokens.

Random pull mechanics tied this closely to real money purchases can only be ethical if people know what they are getting into.  So overstating the odds (irrespective of whether it was intentional) is a really big deal.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    jamesh said:
    The new display is a big improvement.  I'm still concerned about the revelation that you were previously misrepresenting the odds for single cover tokens.

Random pull mechanics tied this closely to real money purchases can only be ethical if people know what they are getting into.  So overstating the odds (irrespective of whether it was intentional) is a really big deal.
    I think you’re confused about what the problem was. Single cover odds were correct and in fact  were the only odds shown for 10x/40x packs. 
  • Kojubat
    Kojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    jamesh said:

I think you’re confused about what the problem was. Single cover odds were correct and in fact  were the only odds shown for 10x/40x packs. 
    The concern arose because the system started showing single pack odds, instead of their intended 10x/40x. The explanation opened the can of worms of what was being advertised before that point.

The misrepresentation was during the previous period of undetermined length where all of the odds were being represented by a vague ratio, with the main screen advertising "Better Chance of *** & ***** Characters!"

It would be reasonable to expect that the stated ratio was for a single draw, and there was some "better" increase when multipacks were purchased. Instead, the company felt it was okay to advertise the "better" ratio, and leave the nebulous decrease unstated and invisible. That's the piece that seems shady.
  • jamesh
    jamesh said:

That's not what has happened.  People complained about an unannounced change to the pack odds (e.g. chance of 4* covers dropping from 1:14 to 1:16).  @Brigby comes in and says that the odds haven't actually changed, but the in-game display switched from showing 10/40-pack odds to 1-pack odds.  Now the game has updated to separately display odds for the two pack types, with the old odds displayed for 10- and 40-packs, and the "new" odds displayed for 1-packs.

If the actual odds haven't changed, then the old UI really was overstating the odds for 1-packs for an unknown amount of time (maybe since the introduction of bonus heroes?)