MEHulk - To green, or not to green

Options
froggerjohn
froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
Thanks to the 10th anniversary sale, I have the three MEH covers.

The thing is, MEH is the only character I absolutely hated to play, because of the annoying green power. (I had only the one green cover at the time). I sold it awhile back, and told myself that next time, I wouldn't redeem the green ones.

That was quite some time ago however, and my roster and goals have changed a lot since then. I have all but 13 of the 4*s now (none champed yet, and the best have 9 covers). Most of the 3*s are champed.
https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/froggerjohn/revisions/112

Obviously I eventually want to finish the character, so I should just bite the bullet and redeem the green. (I'll probably wait until after this next essential event).

So it occurs to me, that what I really want to find, is a way to play MEH where the green isn't so frustrating. Reduce the reliance on planning and setup, and ideally take advantage of random board shake. Options would be most welcome.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He works really well with America Chavez. Then add in someone who covers blue/black to round it out. Vulture, Gamora, Mordo, etc.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I love MEH.  As TPF Alexis says, he works well with America Chavez.  My current favorite team includes these two with Gladitor Thor (especially when he's below 50% health) for all the board shake shenanigans.  Triggering MEH's purple is always good for mega damage (and more shake shake shake).

Embrace the shake, I say!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Main Event Hulk/Shuri/Bl4ck p4nther (King of Waknda) is a dope team. MEH at 5/5/3. In this situation, you maximize his Grand Entrance because you want all the incidental matches you can get. Shuri and P4nther keep fortified specials on the board, and all those random matches result in mega-bonus match damage until you're able to fire off a much cheaper than normal Gamma Powerbomb where the criticals are most likely going to land in fortified tiles to fire off twice.

Chavez/Mockingbird/Main Event is also great. let enemies match-4 if you can, and the minimal active powers available to this team are either going to be Gamma Powerbomb (ideal), Crowd Goes Wild (less ideal, but not awful), Bombshell (Ideal) or Opportunist (not awesome, but whatever I guess). You'll be surprised how well Opportunist works.

Main Event/Red Hulk/Hulkbuster - no meaningful synergy, but this may be the largest team you can field in terms of character art.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Um, I'm not sure how to better say this but... his green is awesome. It is a unique power because it's passive; other characters have to meet conditions to do anything similar. Like you, I used to think MEHulk was a dud. I was wrong. You can utilize his green for a number of strategies, the most common of which is fueling Chavez.

It's a power (along with his purple) that allows him to remain relevant into the 5-star tier, because everyone can benefit from free AP and tiles 5-stars in particular get that sweet, sweet match damage. Now, you might say 'I don't care about 5-stars right now' but someday you might, and just like IM40 and Doc Strange remain relevant to the 4-star player, MEH holds his value.

Plus, you know what I say... just champ them all.
  • froggerjohn
    Options
    Thanks for the notes, and good to see some support for him. This all makes sense, because match damage for me so far has been of no consequence, other than easy nodes and lightning rounds. But some day that will change. My America is 3/1/1, and Ghost 2/2/3, so still a bit to wait, but I can see the potential.

So I'll redeem the green after this next event is over. It's likely that by the time he rolls around again, I'll have some characters I can better team him with.

BTW, in one of my early fights with MEH, I watched him teleport one of my Recharge tiles in between the other two -- matching all three of them. Almost funny, if it hadn't been at a critical point in a tough battle. My one and only "rage-sell" in MPQ.

• TPF Alexis
    Options
    Yeah, you really want him on a team where any special tiles you care about are going to be fortified, and ideally have a way to get re-fortified when necessary. Or you just don't have any special tiles that aren't expendable.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    For me, I like to build a team around board shake that's different from a team built around having specials on the board - those two situations tend to be mutually exclusive with a few exceptions. Medusa likes when specials get matched, and the previously mentioned team consisting of Shuri and P4nther create un-owned specials and specials you want to match, so it's helpful to maximize your chances of doing that. But other teams that bank on specials want them to persist on the board, so the answer there is to just not bring Main Event with you.
  • froggerjohn
    Options
    Understood, although my only experiences with MEH are in the 4e node, and that's likely to be the case for quite some time until I get further into the 4* tier. So it's really more a matter of "who to bring with him". Since I typically run the 4e node (with a low-cover 4*) with IM40 + Strange, therein lies the problem.

Eventually, America would be one of the obvious choices, and she's been my 4BH so it's likely that she'll be suitable when the following MEH event comes up..
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    You could try Hood/SWitch if you need to use 3* characters. That way you can make Hood reduce the time on Switch's countdown, which will give you purple for Gamma Powerbomb. Alternatively you could run Patch/Hawk3y3, that way you have an active green. Hawkeye will create blue and purple whenever you match an enemy special, which can help you get the AP you need for powerbomb.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't know why his green would be rage-inducing...I never see it match anything...

...ever.

Which is kind of rage-inducing all on its own.
  • froggerjohn
    Options
    Powerbomb is great when MEH gets a bit more developed, but at low covers, it doesn't yet have its 'power' -- 1334 plus 3 crits isn't as good as the team damage I already get from Switch's purple.

Worked great in the "join forces" node though, where he's given full covers. But that node also reminded me of the other reason I didn't enjoy playing the character. The random switch slows down the response time on every turn, because you have to wait until it's done before you can really evaluate the best move. And when trying to push for speed, it was much more likely for me to miss optimal moves as a result.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've just champed MEH Hulk and am looking forward to using him in his PvP, so will be looking out to try using these teams.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You have to embrace the randomness with Main Event lol. Put him with somebody that does more with crits than he does, like a 5*. For #MaximumNonsense, I highly recommend putting him with Chavez and Nightcrawler. Just use Bamf! any time, you don't need to fixate on Bamfinite. You just want to keep the board going crazy, generating AP for Chavez and just generally accruing AP for everybody. I find that i'll get #OrganicBamfinite scenarios pretty regularly anyway, and perhaps counterintuitively you can spend purple AP to gather purple AP to use Gamma Powerbomb that way. It's pretty spectacular; I used an unboosted Chavez/Nightcrawler with my boosted Main Event in his PVP against a team of champed JJ, DD5, and a MEH with 70k hp, and was able to kill both the 5*s before they finally got me. It was a real 1 Fast, 1 Furious moment lol "Almost had you!"

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @ThaRoadWarrior I really like MEH with other board shakers, too.

When I first champed him I had a ball putting him with XFW and 3Magneto (Hulk basically replaces Loki on a classic team from yesteryear). You have absolute chaos with this team as pretty much everything they do causes board destruction and cascades, and their colors cover each other well.

These days I'll put him with Chavez and Jessica. Between Hulk's tile swapping every turn, and Chavez' criticals every turn, Jessica's camera is working overtime because Damning Evidence is triggering about twice as often as it normally does.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You're definitely working at cross purposes with a board shaker generally if you're trying to use somebody that wants anything to persist on the board, and that's a recipe for frustration for sure. My JJ isn't too great, but I really think she goes awesome with a board shake team. Seems like JJ/Okoye/Main Event could really be something too. Get Crowd Goes Wild out on the board for bonus OkoyeStuff.

I don't have 5* Loki yet, but I kind of want to do Main Event/Loki/Nightcrawler and see how many of those black countdowns I can get on the board.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well MEH Hulk was pretty entertaining with America Chavez. It wasn't uncommon that after hitting someone with powerbomb, the crits finished off the next character if there was a cascade.
  • TPF Alexis
    edited August 2018
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Well MEH Hulk was pretty entertaining with America Chavez. It wasn't uncommon that after hitting someone with powerbomb, the crits finished off the next character if there was a cascade.
    My fave is when all the crits generate enough match-4+s that it sets off Ticket to the Multiverse as well :D
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ultimately you can’t really use him without green as he’ll be too low lvl-wise. I found his green was useful at the start, very much mixed from then on.

It’s all about purple for him though, I one-shot downed a lvl 550 Daredevil with it - absolutely outstanding.

• DigitHAL9000
    DigitHAL9000 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    It really works good to me with America Chavez.
    I also add Quake but consider them as a team against Strange, or Starlord or Cage 4*.
  • froggerjohn
    Options
    Currently-boosted America passive is really high damage if you can maintain the AP advantage. America/Hood/MEHulk essentially ensures it in all but the most obscure cases.