PvP Focus #1- For PvP events, are you focusing on Points or Wins?

Options
2»

Comments

• BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Points (Classic)
    broll said:
    Phumade said:
    The crazy part is you guys could have had all the 900 tier reward  from day 1.  Its your engagement  that drives shard points.  not fear of hits or snipers, bakers blah blah.

Yes over 1200, how points get made who makes is important blah blah blah,

but under 1200, its not about snipers, bakers, front runers blah blah.  The "Peleton" pack can generate the momentum to get everyone to 900 once they decide that they actually want the 900 reward.

This is straight up tinykitty.  I’ve been highly engaged since day 1 and pre 5* land 900 was nearly impossible unless you join a battle chat (possibly not even then, I didn’t join one till I was in 5* land).  It takes a lot more than just engagement. It takes:
    1. Detailed knowledge of how the someone obtuse and not explained anywhere in game mechanics work. 
    2. The ability and willingness to spend a lot of HP. 
    3.  Higher rosters (or certain ‘scarecrow’ characters) certainly help dramatically. 

The major benifit of wins wins is that unlike points engagement is truly the largest driver and any roster can theoretically get to any number.  
    Hmm..I kind of agree with you but my experience definitely hasn’t been the same as what you’re describing.

I champed my first two 4*’s in January of this year (Gamora & CD). I have yet to miss a 900 since then and in fact it has gotten extremely easy now that I have close to 30 champed. I play slice 1, definitely don’t use battle chat, and I don’t think I spend an exorbitant amount on shields.

In most events I only shield once and that’s to finish the event for placement.

For me it was more about finding my float point and the best time to move up. It took a while and I won’t say it wasn’t frustrating but it wasn’t impossible by any means.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Phumade said:
    The crazy part is you guys could have had all the 900 tier reward  from day 1.  Its your engagement  that drives shard points.  not fear of hits or snipers, bakers blah blah.

but under 1200, its not about snipers, bakers, front runers blah blah.  The "Peleton" pack can generate the momentum to get everyone to 900 once they decide that they actually want the 900 reward.

This is straight up tinykitty.  I’ve been highly engaged since day 1 and pre 5* land 900 was nearly impossible unless you join a battle chat (possibly not even then, I didn’t join one till I was in 5* land).  It takes a lot more than just engagement. It takes:
    1. Detailed knowledge of how the someone obtuse and not explained anywhere in game mechanics work. 
    3.  Higher rosters (or certain ‘scarecrow’ characters) certainly help dramatically. 

The major benifit of wins wins is that unlike points engagement is truly the largest driver and any roster can theoretically get to any number.  
    I have shared a link more than a few times going back years showing that getting prog, 1300 then, can be done without check rooms.  I did for a long time and so did others.  

Yes Wins now means that you can get full rewards if you want them but it seems by some comments that they are still not.  We will see what the data shows at the end of the season again on how many players we had. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Phumade said:

Don't take my word for it.  Listen to the actual experiences of people who are playing and posted their ACTUAL experiences

Did your roster get immediately more powerful today than yesterday? No. 
    Did other player roster get nerfed? No.
    Was the points formula changed?  No
    Was match making  changed?  No
    Did players become exceptionally astute at reading scores, tactics and strategies?  No

Literally,  What is the difference from today and last week?  The number of matches.that people are willing to play.  Please note, I'm not going to bother discussing a new strategy or tactic.  Because, there isn't any new magical insight that are being with held from you.  There is no secret clearing order to max score.  No secret scoring faq were written and distributed with out your knowledge

The only difference is that you now believe points are unimportant to your goals and that volume #wins matter.

God Bless you for that fact!!!  Engaging in volume #wins guarantees more points in the shard and higher overall scores.

You talk about high levels of engagement.  At the end of the day, the only engagement that matters is.

Are you playing more matches today than yesterday?  That is more engagement.
    Are you playing less matches today than yesterday?  That is LESS engagement.

broll said:

That is your perceived benefit, and I am super happy that your enjoying it. That actual benefit for everyone else is that more matches are being generated, which enables more players to reach higher scores.

In fact, the comp players would actually prefer it more players ignored the points and consistently went for 40 and 75 wins and stopped.  It guarantees a nice base of high value matches,  and signals an unwillingness to compete for the actual T5 prizes.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Points (Classic)
    I usually hit my points target of 575 before 16 wins. Advancing beyond that in any event is just on my whims. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I go into an event with an open mind, happy to use either system for whatever my goal is for that event (normally driven by real life time available). I have yet to need Wins based to achieve my target, even when I was having a rough time with Valkyrie. I find I can hit 900 with more regularity now than in the past - possibly my roster is stronger but I do feel that reaching 900 now seems to have gotten easier (but can still be a struggle). I went as far as 1000 points in a couple of the PvP's just because I could.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Points (Classic)
    Wins are to time consuming. Devs know that