Bracket events to end 24 X hours after entrance

Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
Since it can take a long time to get awards now, may as well be fair to the european and asian players.

Let's say an event is has runtime of 6 days. Bump the timeframe of the event up to 7 days.

Now then ... when a person enters, they'll be in a bracket that expires in exactly 6 days. More precisely, 5 days, 23 hours, and some minutes. Their ending time will be the same as their start time, rounded to the hour.

If someone enters late, say 3 days after the event start, then they'd be put into the nearest bracket with available room. Really late entrants would likely all go into the same bracket.

On the last day of the event, personal scores would roll in all day, and the alliance scores would be in the final tally.

As a side benefit, this would greatly ease server stress. And would also make event timing much more convenient for everyone.

Comments

• viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5965#p110550
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6564&start=20#p125462

Just saying. icon_e_smile.gif

I agree with you 100%. Someone proposed a pretty good counter argument to this idea: those who sign up the latest have it easiest as many of their competitors would have already dropped out of the race by the last day. So there would be fewer people at the high end who would be able to retaliate. Conversely, there would also be fewer people at the deep end of the pool which would make progression to the top tiers more difficult as well (so perhaps it would make things more difficult).
  • Alliances throw a wrench in any variably timed event endings

I thought it would be really cool to have 3 bracketed nodes for each event which have different start and end times, but you can only pick one. You are only competing with those in your bracket which may be only 1/3 of the global population.

Would cause some crazy meta probably, but would give people options. People like options, or so I hear.

Can start right as the first bracket opens along with everyone else get your standard midnight or noon EST end times
    Second bracket starts 4 hours later and will end at 4am or 4 pm EST
    Third bracket 4 hours after that for an 8 am or 8 pm ending

Breaks could be 6 or even 8 hours apart but a choice of 3 end times has to be much easier on our European players and open up new layers of strategy to everyone.

Is the 4pm bracket going to be easier than the noon one?
    Would I rather stay up late or wake up early?
    Which one lets me time my final shields better?
    Which one has the least SHIELD members?
    Does finishing late give alliances and advantage since they know the benchmark score 2/3 of their opponents have locked in already?
  • I don't think alliances alter the equation much. If anything, it puts a larger burden on those who end later. They'll have the most pressure to get extra points, and the fewest number of targets to get points from (assuming that everyone who has already finished the event stops getting queued and/or is treated as shielded for retaliation points).
  • Riggy wrote:
    I don't think alliances alter the equation much. If anything, it puts a larger burden on those who end later. They'll have the most pressure to get extra points, and the fewest number of targets to get points from (assuming that everyone who has already finished the event stops getting queued and/or is treated as shielded for retaliation points).

This is why i think to do something like this would require different brackets, and separate pools per bracket so everyone's pool is maybe not even, but consistent across a whole event

P.S. note to devs different end times should even out server load problems if only a third of your players are trying to get in last minute points at any given time instead of all of them. icon_e_wink.gif