Thinking back: Character Combos

JohnnyStacks
JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
I always like the various "remember when..." posts that pop up once in a while, and I'm sure there's been something like this before, but I'm not scouring 600+ pages of discussion.  So, as a 5* player, it's fun to think back about teams you were super excited about reaching functionality and carried you through at times, but now are largely irrelevant.

For me, my first combo I was excited about was 2* BW and 2* Wolverine.  Back before "burst heal".  I could finally climb somewhere in PVP.

For 3*, my first excitement was DD and Patch.  Strikes, Radar Sense = Dead.  (I wasn't quick enough for Sentry bombing).

I missed out on pre-nerf 4* Wolverine, so my first 4* hitter was Thoress w/3* IM.  Never "hulkbusted" much..

Oh!  And remember way way back when 5* Gambolt was killer? 

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    FistBuster 
    JeanBuster 
    those were some of my favorites.  So much fun during that time. 

• Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Fist, switch and mags was my go to for most of 3*
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    In 3 star land I consistently got my season sim score with Kamala, psylocke, and hood. Hood could hide in back all the time if he was lower level. Psylocke had cheap spammy powers to keep Kamala healing. And Kamala had good aoe.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 3* team was IM40, Magn3to, and Black Widow GS. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    CageFist, PantherFist, XForce/XFool, all good.

My personal favourite troll climbing team slightly more recently was OML/XFool - could take down nigh-on any team back in the day.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have always consistently been behind on the meta. I got a decent Ragnarok about 2 versions after his monsterous form. I struggled to get Sentry covers and only managed it after he'd been nerfed, so couldn't enjoy Sentry Hood. When things started moving to 4* land it was about a year before I got Hulkbuster and months after that before I stopped getting the wrong covers for Jean.

Only meta I've managed to be a part of was Gambit, but even then my Black Bolt is still stuck at 12 covers. I do have Thor though.

Now in the post Gambit era, I'm hoping to get the last JJ cover I need.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    3* Magneto and Punisher back when environment tiles were still a thing and Mags blue only cost 5 AP. 
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    For the old final node of the Deadpool Daily with four waves, I always used to use IF/3* BP/3* Bullseye. You knew you were having a good day when Contract Killer activated, and you could finish the final node off in one go with BP's black.
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Kamala, im40 and vision
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    2-star Magneto with Mystique was a fun winfinite team.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Patch, Daken, Loki
    Turn Patchs enemy strikes to protects. With that and their true healing you end up taking no damage
    3* Cyclops, 2* Magneto, 3* Daredevil
    Make all the red to keep matching DDs trap tile.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    FistBuster 
    JeanBuster 

What's JeanBuster?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    2* stormneto + 2* Hawkeye post-rework.

Back when I was a 2* player I could take that team at level 94 and reliably beat any opponent up to level 250 or so.  Very useful in the 2:24 refresh/universal scaling/rubberbanding pve days.

Fistbuster was the first time I had the meta team up and running while it was still the meta team.  That was some fun, at least until jg came out and ruined the fun.

Edit:jeanbuster = jean grey + hulkbuster. It was the meta team from ~July 2015 through about October 2015 (when 4* cyc and rulk came out. Both were then quickly eclipsed by oml when people started getting him well covered).

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first team combo back in 2013 was 2*Thor + 2*Widow + 1*Storm.  That team could take down some big enemies.  This is when 1*storm had a cheap red attack to clear environment tiles.  So, you would clear the env tiles, activate Thor's yellow to add green tiles, get green cascades, fire off Storm's green AP generator, steal AP with Widow's purple, then start all over again.  In the desert environment (back in the day) I could usually win on the 2nd turn because the env power was to add green to the board. 

The next great team combo I had was 3*Thor + 3*Spidey + Hood.  Steal AP, get protect tiles and Thor takes them down.  Spidey would stun threats until Thor downed them.  It was good on PVP defense too.

When I first saw Fistbuster, I thought to myself, "one day, I'll have that team".  When I finally got it, I was like, Meh. 

Most of my old teams are still viable.  IM40 + 3*Mags + GSBW was good, but Kamala is a better choice now.  But GSBW is essential to the ProfX Winfinite with Switch. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    IM40, Iceman, and Peggy. What a power house team when offensive abilities were a thing.

Used to just annihilation Hulk with permastun in his pve.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018

2-Star

OBW/Daken/Wolvie - The point is obviously OBW + Strike tiles. However this required specific leveling, and wouldn't work if Daken tanked everything over OBW. At the same time, I felt like just OBW + Wolvie was too slow in terms of getting strikes out. Very, very fun team though when it worked as intended. 

Mags/Hawkeye/Storm - Headliner here is Mags purple + Hawkeye passive. Match doesn't last long after that, but you've usually fueled Storm's blue, or Mags/Hawkeye red along the way to finish the match. 

I can't call these completely irrelevant, as I'm still forced to run them daily in DDQ  :/

3-Star

IM40/Blue user/Green user - This team took so many forms, but IM40 was at the center of it all for obvious reasons. He was my very first 3-star champ, and definitely fits the description of "carrying" me through this tier. Oh man, back in the day when I still used the Unibeam power! IM40/Magneto/KK, IM40/Cap/KK, IM40/Cap/Thor, I could go on for days, Tony was the glue that held my roster together. Even when my 3-star roster got pretty deep, most teams still involved this guy in one way or another. Imagine my shock after my roster had developed to a point where I didn't need this guy. 

Iron Fist/Luke Cage/SWitch - I champed SWitch relatively late in the development of my 3-star roster, so I didn't get to experience this team in its glory for too long before I got starry-eyed for the 4-star tier. It works remarkably well, some of the best synergy at that tier period.  

Patch + Daken/Bullseye, Blade, Falcon or DD - Patch and Daken were among my first 10 3-star champs, but it was quite a while before I champed someone who could really play off of their strengths in a devastating way. DD eliminates the draw back of Patch's green in rather painful fashion. Sam Wilson was the only tile strengthener we had in the game for a while I believe. While Blade was somewhat limiting in that matching Red was bad for him, the attack tiles he could make based on Patch & Daken's strikes were insane. Bullseye flooded the board with strikes as long as he got to deal the finishing blow. 

Strange/Iron Fist/Daken - This was my original goonbuster team, and boy did it work beautifully. Not having an active red wasn't a drawback at all, as both Daken and IF put their strikes on red tiles. The strikes helped both Danny's attack tile, as well as Strange's passive. 

3-4 Star Transition

"Icy40" - As I'm sure most people could tell you, IM40's usefulness didn't stop just become I'd champed some 4s now. IM40 + IceMan got me through sooooooooo many PVPs before I had a decent 4-star lineup it's not even funny. I realized this team was fodder for any legitimate 4-star roster, but boy was I happy to have it regardless. 

IM40/Peggy/Moon Knight, RHulk, or X-23 - Continuing IM40's awesomeness, imagine that awesomeness even further when Peggy Carter hit the game. Her plus Tony as a battery was a no-brainer, and again PVP was essentially revolutionized for me. I was finding myself able to hold my own even against some of the boosted guys. Most of my earliest 4-star champs had a kit that was enhanced with a battery like IM40, but once Peggy came along I was desperate to bring a 3rd teammate along who didn't get in Peggy's way. All 3 of these guys worked beautifully. X-23 played off of Peggy fueling her red, but didn't fight her for it. RHulk tanked Red for my Peggy while also providing AP manipulation and AOE. MK was my first single-target green nuke of that magnitude. Invisible Woman and X-23 hit kinda hard, but Moonsilver Blades was on another level. 
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Charlie's Angels
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    The first time I ever completed the Gauntlet, I absolutely lived and died by Hulk-Bombing the hell out of every remotely difficult node, yet today that's never a team I see in any advice threads whatsoever.  It's not that it wouldn't necessarily work now-days, but there's just so many new ways to deal with special tiles that it's not as foolproof as it once seemed.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to love Classic Mags and patch when Mags had both a cheap red and blue at 3 and 5.
    Get out those patch strike tiles and go to town with mags. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    FistBuster 
    JeanBuster 

What's JeanBuster?
    4* Jean Grey with Hulkbuster.
    Pretty much got a rainbow there. Two AoEs and a red nuke on different colours, plus special tiles, plus match-5 defence, plus self generating red.

It was a pretty meaty team for a while.