No Black Support Destruction or Disable?

Options
Boogeyman
Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
Hello!

For mono black PW's, I ran into a problem.  I keep facing Darigaaz Reincarnated, who has haste and does 8 damage.  Of course, when you kill him, he just comes back with haste, once his support is buffed enough. 

I tried to put support destruction in my deck, but there is none available now.  I also tried to put disable cards in my deck, but there is none. 

Any suggestions? 

Comments

• Elektrophorus
    Elektrophorus Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Black has maybe two cards to destroy supports. One is a masterpiece and the other is a rare from M19. The best bet here is to exile Darigaaz, but that’s not usually something we maindeck. Supports just happen to be Black’s weakness, just like Enchantments and Artifacts are in paper MTG.

The last time I faced Darigaaz as Ob Nixilis, I just pumped kill spells into him every time he came back.
  • Boogeyman
    Options
    I didn't find any support destruction for colorless or black.  What cards were you thinking of?
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is not new, and it's true in paper magic as well. Traditionally, the answer is "make them discard it before it hits the board".
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    could try mastermind's acquisition and hope to get
    lucky. alternatively there are black exile creatures
    both from battlefield and opponents graveyard. a
    lucky grab with the eldest reborn would work too.

HH
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Try running exile instead of kill (or have at least 1 exile card in the deck).  There are less since HOU rotated, but Vraska's Contempt or that M19 rare will do the trick.  Or run some gem conversion and try to match the supports away.  Won't always work, but it could help
  • Boogeyman
    Options
    Great points, I forgot about exile.  Will that work with Darigaaz Reincarnated?  Will give it a shot I guess. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boogeyman said:
    Great points, I forgot about exile.  Will that work with Darigaaz Reincarnated?  Will give it a shot I guess. 
    It will.  He can't reanimate from exile.  It also works on Squee, Bone Dragon, the HOU gods, and anything with Embalm/Eternalize.  

Also doesn't count for "Kill X or less/more" objectives, and prevents the creature from coming back with graveyard shenanigans like Journey to Eternity, Dark Petition, Macabre Waltz...ect
  • Elektrophorus
    Elektrophorus Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Boogeyman said:
    I didn't find any support destruction for colorless or black.  What cards were you thinking of?
    Pernicious Deed and Meteor Golem @Boogeyman
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Boogeyman said:
    I was just gonna say, meteor golem may help (especially if you can bounce or reanimate it).
  • Boogeyman
    Options
    Boogeyman said:
    Nice finds, but alas, I may never get that masterpiece. Woah is me.  haha.  The rare Golem is more attainable though.  Thanks for the recommendations. 
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Boogeyman said:
    Boogeyman said:
    Nice finds, but alas, I may never get that masterpiece. Woah is me.  haha.  The rare Golem is more attainable though.  Thanks for the recommendations. 
    I hear ya. you might also run more gem-changing lands? they mostly got buffed in the update, and the more you alter the gem landscape, the easier it is to hit supports. especially if you're worried about white supports, run isolated chapel and caves of koilos.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Boogeyman said:
    Pernicious Deed is the most useless card in the game. Yet it is a masterpiece. It comes out with 3 shields. If you hit that activated gem, it destroys supports with 3 or more shields. Could there have been a worst card design??...

But that Meteor Golem rocks!!

There is also Field of Ruin for support destruction. ;)
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Meteor Golem is going to be one of the most important M19 cards for this exact reason.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Black has maybe two cards to destroy supports. One is a masterpiece and the other is a rare from M19. The best bet here is to exile Darigaaz, but that’s not usually something we maindeck. 

Interesting. I don't go into a battle without exile effects if my planeswalkers can cast them. At least one of my kill spells needs to be able to deal with recursion. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Froggy said:
    Pernicious Deed is the most useless card in the game.
    Solemnity.

That is all.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't kill him at all. Race.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Matthew said:
    Froggy said:
    Solemnity.

That is all.
    Was going to say that, but I saw a post here once where Solemnity was used as a troll card against people who cycle. So I think it was more valuable, even if just for the chuckle it gave me. 😝😝
  • TheExaminer
    TheExaminer Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    Matthew said:
    Froggy said:
    Solemnity.

That is all.
    What about Dispossess tho? Solemnity at least does 'something' ><

NinjaE said:
    This is not new, and it's true in paper magic as well. Traditionally, the answer is "make them discard it before it hits the board".
    Also: you may exile it from the deck before they draw it. With Dispossess.

See? Dispossess is your answer for every mtgpq related issue/question!
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Froggy said:

Was going to say that, but I saw a post here once where Solemnity was used as a troll card against people who cycle. So I think it was more valuable, even if just for the chuckle it gave me. 😝😝
    Reasons why Solemnity is worse than Pernicious Deed:
    • Due to the way matchmaking works, you can't guarantee Solemnity will have any effect; Deed, on the other hand, will always do something, and furthermore, you can actually exercise some degree of control over what it does.
    • You will never even know if Solemnity has had an effect, except on the very slim chance that one of your friends runs into your deck and then tells you about it. You will always see the effects of Deed.
    • Solemnity does literally nothing to help you win a match. Nothing at all. If anything, it wastes a spot in your deck that could be used by something that will actually synergize with whatever strategy you're trying to use.
    All that logic is a bit moot though if you're only playing this game for "teh lolz." If that's the case, then carry on ignoring me.

What about Dispossess tho? Solemnity at least does 'something' ><
    I can't tell if you're being serious here... Anyway, I actually got some minor use out of Dispossess when it was still in Standard. I kept track of people I ran into who were using Omni. Any time I was matched up against them while I was using a black PW and they were using blue, I would consider using it, and even did a few times. For black, it's not a completely terrible card. You just never see what happened to the cards you removed because we don't have access to the Exile pile.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Don't kill him at all. Race.
    This right here is the answer. You don't need to kill everything. Just enough to avoid getting ded. Ded is the enemy. I just ignore him unless he's really becoming a problem. A couple, two , tree whacks is usually fine .