Post Gambit Nerf - New 5* Teams

Steve111
Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
Since the Gambit nerf gave us our rosters back, does anyone have a favourite 5* combo they wish to share?  Personally I am enjoying Hawkeye, Goblin and OML. I use a lot of Okoye/JJ/Thor too. 

Comments

• Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Still rocking 5*Gambit with OML & 4*Carol
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    DD, CW Cap, and Valkyrie has become my go to team. 2 colors to stun, DDs healing and strike tiles, DDs passive to capitalize on the stuns, passive AP generation and destruction, and Valkyrie passive strike tiles help DD heal more. Plus, if target is stunned, Valkyrie’s red pentuple (I don’t think that’s a word) dips on DDs extra damage. Caps yellow is a beast with the AOE, protect tiles and attack tiles and is fueled by Valk’s bounties. You get down to one enemy and the fight is over, as they are usually stun locked.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I seem to be one of the few without Thor. Running JJ with Okoye and getting lots of hits on my climb to 900. An alliance member suggested I should switch out JJ with PP. That way I can deny Thor's green and even with 3 hits, PP's green may be even to take down the opposing team.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Best I can muster with my current crew is Parker/Daredevil. It's not ideal, but getting off Parker's green when DD has strikes out does stooooopid damage.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    Best I can muster with my current crew is Parker/Daredevil. It's not ideal, but getting off Parker's green when DD has strikes out does stooooopid damage.
    PP/DD might not be the dominant meta,  but Its a very nice robust backup option.  5/6 colors with stuns and specials.  Its a strong combo
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    The meta seems to be some combination of jj, okoye, and half-thor.

Half-thor is clearly the best character now, but cannot be fully leveraged without someone like okoye to tank for him and heal ad infinitum.

Okoye is awesome on offense as her powers are very exportable by a smart player, and true healing + a good passive is generally a good combo, even if she is slow.  But she is not threatening on D.

JJ is not reliable enough to dominate, but is very solid all around and bad board luck against her gets painful fast.

Plenty of other fun/interesting options, but nothing that seems to challenge these 3.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    For Emma PVP I ran DD, Thanos.  It’s 1/2 health Thor I have used JJ, AA, and GR.  For hopping I have used Panthos.  The sad thing is 4* PVP was really going to open up the possibilities for 5* combos and now 4* PVP is looking shut down.  
    ‘In PVE I have used 5eye with Coulson, and Vulture and PP, and when Phoenix was buffed I iso ran a little switch Phoenix action.

overall strongest PVP is JJ Thor but when I finish Okoye she will replace JJ for climbing.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

JJ is not reliable enough to dominate, but is very solid all around and bad board luck against her gets painful fast.

I dunno what other people's experience has been, but I don't think I've gotten through a match yet against JJ where she didn't hit me with Damning Evidence at least once. It's uncanny. Hell, on more than one occasion she's nailed two in the same move.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same I absolutely loathe playing against her and Thor. Without gambit to reliably finish off thor too, ive has a cascade on my turn nudge Thor below half health which has utterly destroyed me. Without gambit you can see how utterly **** his AP generation is. Way too much for self generation.

I find JJ and Thor way too much of a dice throw.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    I'm still pretty limited in my options at 5* level but I've mostly been using DD/JJ/Thor in PvE, and DD/Thor or JJ/Thor in PvP. Daredevil might not be the most powerful in the tier but he can but a nice shield with the way he heals himself once at 50% (it takes some pretty powerful hits to kill him off before he heals right back up), and that stun can come in handy too (helps get rid of, say, Thor without him getting his passive off at all, without having to do it in one big hit). Probably not the scariest of defensive teams to leave up, but useful for the climb itself or saving any health pack usage.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Richyyy said:
    I'm still pretty limited in my options at 5* level but I've mostly been using DD/JJ/Thor in PvE, and DD/Thor or JJ/Thor in PvP. Daredevil might not be the most powerful in the tier but he can but a nice shield with the way he heals himself once at 50% (it takes some pretty powerful hits to kill him off before he heals right back up), and that stun can come in handy too (helps get rid of, say, Thor without him getting his passive off at all, without having to do it in one big hit). Probably not the scariest of defensive teams to leave up, but useful for the climb itself or saving any health pack usage.
    Interestingly enough, DD does seem to be a strong counter to JJ. With his strike tile, passive heal, you can actually ignore her Damning Evidence trap tiles for the most part. If they do manage to go off, it just means more strike tiles.  And his purple Sonar Strike is a good counter-measure against Thor's passive. You just have to keep an eye on the enemy AP to make sure you don't get Body Check'd when your DD is low on health.

DD/Thor is probably not the fastest nor most defensively intimidating team but they are a strong, reliable and fun combo.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    DD can also steal JJ and Thor's special tiles.  If it weren't for Gambit's AP stealing and purple overwriting, DD would have been a much more relevant character during the last 9 months. 

Even before Gambit's nerf, there were some 5* essential fights in scl9 pve where I preferred to bring in DD/Gamora instead of Gambit/Thor or Gambolt. 
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Seems every team I face in PVP has Thor in it.  Is it because it's the fastest or everyone brings in a Thor because everyone else is bringing a Thor...
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because he's fast. Also, the best way to avoid health pack issues is to never get hit with big time powers. Which means I want the match over fast. Which means 50Thor. 
  • x_imperialism
    x_imperialism Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    thor / okoye for pvp climb and big pve matches

thor / jj to get better defense near end of climbs and for hopping on grills. panthos is still the grill hop speed champ though. jj / thanos is great for defense and decently fast on hops, but relies on some luck. thanos can set off traps while jj is stunned so it has some synergy to it.

dd / thanos for smaller pve teams

thor / okoye / beardcap for sim. halfthor wears down the front opponent and collects r/g/y, match tus and let okoye tank and heal herself. fire cap red to cut the health of the back 2 opponents, thor green to finish. if okoye goes down, cap can revive, also if you get purple he can deny enemy powers.

beardcap also has a place on any boss event

that's 7 characters i regularly use now that gambit is nerfed. most i might still use even if he wasn't though.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 said:
    Seems every team I face in PVP has Thor in it.  Is it because it's the fastest or everyone brings in a Thor because everyone else is bringing a Thor...
    I’ve been playing Thor at level 255 in PVP and walking to 900 and recently even 1000. I know it seems crazy because his health is utter trash with no iso invested (like 5-6k at half health). But he fuels my boosted/champed 4* enough that I can win matches super fast and I can shield right before the hits come pouring in.  It’s definately due to speed, IMO. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    1/2Thor is fast. Nothing else matches it.

My Okoye isn't completed, so JJ is getting the work done for me and because I am either getting a weird amount of blue early and then slapping people around with my evidence, or I don't and I'm getting anything else which I then use to slap them around... it goes quickly against just about anyone.

And for me at least, JJ's evidence generates Green, so I wind up slapping the whole team around with Thor who then hides behind JJ again.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    I like Surfer / Thanos. Fun synergy between the 2 and SS true heal makes it sustainable for longer pve runs/climbs.

I also like Green goblin and Surfer just a fun team, neither are great on D but fun damage and goblin bomb play.

If Phx and BSS got a quality of life upgrade I’d love to get them back in my rotation they are just too underpowered currently for pvp and pve.