Point Value Display

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
edited July 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Ha you thought I was talking about pvp.  I mean pve, 48 hour subs specifically.  I think many of us have lost 1 point here and there due to the timer expiring prematurely.  Most of the time if you clear the node after the timer goes away you get full points, but on occasion you lose 1.  Why is there an inconsistency and what the heck happened in Luck Be A Lady?  There are people in my bracket who lost 7 points.  I lost 3 myself and only 3 people have a perfect score.  Before you say -7 points isn't a big deal, it is in a big boy bracket.  Those 7 points become -28 or more after a grind and that's enough to quickly boot you out of t5/t10.

But Ruin, why not just wait longer?  Well I could.  I could also make a spread sheet, keep a journal, mark it on my calendar, invest in the best stopwatch in the world, but why should I have to if an in game timer is provided?  It should simply work.  It's just a timer.  Ancient technology.  There's no other timer out there ever that jumps from 4 minutes left to expired except in MPQ.  This game is how old?  Can we strive for a little bit more polish here?

//Removed Profanity -Brigby

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    This sub has been broken I think since it was released, which others can confirm. Not sure why this still isn’t fixed.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it affects you, I suppose it also affects other players or all the rest of the players as well? Since everyone is affected, then maybe that's why they haven't fixed it yet compared to bugs that affect certain group of players.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is a way to get full points for this sub and if you don’t know what to do you will lose points and rank.  
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    What’s the way? Lol
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    If it affects you, I suppose it also affects other players or all the rest of the players as well? Since everyone is affected, then maybe that's why they haven't fixed it yet compared to bugs that affect certain group of players.

This is amazing reasoning! I say we do this for server outages as well! Just let the servers go out whenever--it affects everyone and no need to fix!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

This is amazing reasoning! I say we do this for server outages as well! Just let the servers go out whenever--it affects everyone and no need to fix!
    Why fix anything, ever?
    Either it affects everyone, or it affects such a tiny group of players that it's not worth fixing!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I meant was since everyone is on the same level playing field, assuming that it affects everyone, then the it's not very high on the priority list. I remember that Strange Sight finally got fixed because it affected certain group of players.  It did take them some time to figure out what's wrong with the code that caused the bug in Strange Sight. 
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Really disappointed with this issue :'( . Not a big fan of 48hr subs to begin with. It feels like the closest thing to watching paint dry the game has to offer. Sure it's nice to take a little break from having to do an initial 4x clear of the next sub, but 7-8 minutes of playing time getting dragged out to 20-25 minutes as you wait for nodes to refresh and then this.

I too am in a tight SCL9 bracket. I was really happy after a not so great open on sub1 I managed to come in 3rd on the start of the second one, and thought it would let me close the gap on those in front of me. Unfortunately, how fast you clear your initial 4x on a 48hr sub is only of secondary importance with respect to setting you up for success for your final grind with the real key being how timely you are able to do your 5th clear at the 24hr mark. After doing what I thought was an optimal 5th clear based on what I saw in game it is disappointing to find yourself 6pts back of those that managed to truly get all the points (21453 vs 21447).

In my bracket last night spots 1-16 were taken up by folks who had over cleared. Spots 17-26 were filled by people with the optimal 21453. Spots 27-32 were filled by people who had scores between 21453 and 21447. Spots 33-43 (which was as far as I could see) had 21447. The difference between t5 and t10 after the first sub was 9pts. Early brackets often have razor thin margins and this type of bug is unacceptable. Can we please get some confirmation from @Brigby that this is/will be looked into by the developers?

I know in this situation it may be easy to dismiss this as something that affects everyone and therefore the playing field is level. However, this is not the case. Some players either through good luck or past experience circumvented the issue and other players either through bad luck or ignorance of potential work-arounds (right now I'm assuming restarting the game before doing any node to make sure the correct full points value is displayed prior to completing it). For the record I never recall having this issue before on past 48hr subs and even when I've seen incorrect node point values show up prior to doing a node as long as the counter has disappeared and it shows full points the correct points have been awarded after the match.

When there is an issue like this that affects the competitive integrity of the game it should be a very high priority to get fixed. There also should be recourse for those whose placement was/will be affected (but given MPQ track record I'm not holding my breath). Given how long it took to get the Door 1 fiasco of the Strange Sights event on the developer radar and subsequently fixed, it has me a bit worried. It would be very reassuring to the player base to know that this issue is be actively looked into.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    For Luck Be... I exited and restarted the game for each node to confirm the timer was gone and still ended up 6 points under the ideal score.