Dilution , Fix Incoming or Working as Intended?

MirrorKnight
MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker
Dilution.
It's a bad word around these parts but it needs to be talked about. 
With the recent (a month?) changes to pack odds, we're back to 1:1 odds on pulling new champs versus old; no more latest legends for 4stars. 
This makes it considerably harder to get new champs up and running.

So, any ideas if this is the intended status quo?
Can any devs share some insight? 
How long is the intended length of time for champing a new character?
How many pulls is the average?
Is the game hitting these numbers right now or is there another change incoming?

Thanks!

Comments

• Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    I can’t imagine they would have returned to it, after trying two different mechanisms for addressing it, if it weren’t their intended status quo. It’s not like they didn’t know what they were going back to.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    I wouldnt mind increased odds on latest 12 4* in latest legendary token and just equal odds for any 4* in every other token but either way it's not much of a difference for me.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah it feels like they are ignoring the issue. The worst part of dilution isn't so much the 4 stars, it's when a 5 star becomes classic. Once that happens it's gone forever. 
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe we need to look at it from Demi/D3 standpoint (eg "money").

If they now release some really good 4*'s (like, I dunno, Ghost?). now users have to spend considerably more resources to cover the new shiny in a timely fashion.

This leads those who "must" have the new 4* to spend more to get said 4* champed.

For the rest of us (eg the other 99%), it just means we will cover the latest 4*  SIGNIFICANTLY more slowly, which for me kind of takes some of the excitement out of the game and makes me shift my time to other mobile games that are not so incredibly stingy with new character acquisition.   

Part of the fun of this game is acquiring and playing with new characters - I am not one who has to have the newest 4* champed in the first week of release, but having the option to reasonably accelerate the new ones that I really like (and no, BH is not the answer) would be a very worthwhile option (kind of like, gee, better odds on latest 12 ...).
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards

I posted a very similar question about a month ago - hopefully at some point we'll get an answer.  I'm hoping they did away with vaulting to prepare for a different solution to vaulting, but who knows?  The fact that nothing has happened doesn't mean it won't - they frequently take a long time to implement a new system.

I can see several ways they can mitigate dilution in ways other than vaulting.

- Increasing the Bonus % - this will give players a lot more control over their rosters, though it will "add covers" to the game.

- Another thought I had was what if they added a second "feeder target" to 3* characters?  You know, how 4*s feed 6, rather than 3, 5* covers?  They could have every 3* feed two 4*s instead of 6 covers for 1 4*.

• UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
     The previous system was working fine.    this was a solution in search of a problem.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Yeah it feels like they are ignoring the issue. The worst part of dilution isn't so much the 4 stars, it's when a 5 star becomes classic. Once that happens it's gone forever. 
    Agreed. With so many of the good 5s in classics, I stare at my unfinished black bolt, thanos, panther, etc and I weep... especially since I have lumber cap at 13 Covers. Whoopie 
  • DyingLegend
    MgoBlue51 said:
    Agreed. With so many of the good 5s in classics, I stare at my unfinished black bolt, thanos, panther, etc and I weep... especially since I have lumber cap at 13 Covers. Whoopie 

It's incredibly depressing. I think it's time for a 5 star only token at a reasonable CP price.
  • DyingLegend
    GrimSkald said:

I posted a very similar question about a month ago - hopefully at some point we'll get an answer.  I'm hoping they did away with vaulting to prepare for a different solution to vaulting, but who knows?  The fact that nothing has happened doesn't mean it won't - they frequently take a long time to implement a new system.

- Increasing the Bonus % - this will give players a lot more control over their rosters, though it will "add covers" to the game.

- Another thought I had was what if they added a second "feeder target" to 3* characters?  You know, how 4*s feed 6, rather than 3, 5* covers?  They could have every 3* feed two 4*s instead of 6 covers for 1 4*.

More inline Feeders and an increase in bonus hero percents would be fantastics. I think every 5 star should have a feeder by now. 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:

More inline Feeders and an increase in bonus hero percents would be fantastics. I think every 5 star should have a feeder by now. 
    Heh, the only drawback of speeding up the 5* feeders is that it probably means that a 6* tier is coming...
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:
    GrimSkald said:

Heh, the only drawback of speeding up the 5* feeders is that it probably means that a 6* tier is coming...
    Don't see why, 5s are becoming just as a bloated tier has 3s & 4s. With dilution back in full force for 4s, even if every character was given a feeder. Progress for most getting those fees covers would be a snail's pace of earning them thru rewards.