Gambit nerf question

Rockwell75
Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
My understanding is that those with a champed Gambit (level 450 say) will be able to sell him for 13 5* tokens.  Is this accurate?  Is anyone planning on doing this? I'm thinking of champing him later this season just to sell him later...13 covers would be a nice push towards a 5* transition.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    It seems like they might be making changes to Gambit again. So, I think everyone is still waiting for another update.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s not entirely clear how much you need him champed vs covered to get the 13 5’s.  It may be a one for one swap situation in terms of covers. (I’m pretty sure that’s what happened when he was rebalanced before.)

Pouring iso into him is guaranteed to be an iso loss after sellback.

Also, I’d be hesitant to roll the dice on 13 known covers vs 13/25 covers.  I suppose it depends on how your other 5’s are covered.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    What I have to say is very similar to what @bluewolf has already pointed out but I think it's worth repeating (I'm biased).

So far the latest I've heard is they will be giving you back roughly 370K ISO for a level 450 Gambit. It takes roughly 554K ISO to level a 5* to 450 so you are looking at a 184K ISO loss right from the get go. Not a good deal!

In my mind there is value to having a fully covered 5* even if they aren't considered top tier. Trying to get a 5* to that point once they've entered classics is a monumental task and hard to imagine it happening without taking a long time and "wasting" some covers in the process (even with the ability to save covers). At least with 13 covers you'll have the option to level them as high as your ISO stores will allow. This can be useful when they are essential in PVE, boosted for various events, or you happen to get additional covers for them.

On the other hand, a 5* with less than 13 covers is often not very useful at all. Sure every cover means more levels which can make it easier to suffer through PVEs when they are essential. More often than not (at least in my case) you're stuck with a sub-optimal build. There powers have always underwhelmed in my opinion at low levels and are even worse when you don't have 5 covers in a character's premier powers. There match damage is nice, but most of the time it seems my boosted 4s could do more damage from a power perspective until my 5s were leveled pretty high (aka 400+).

I don't know what your roster looks like, but chances are if you sell back your Gambit for covers you'll get 1 cover for 13 different 5*. From your other post I know your Thor is close and sure it's conceivable you might get the last 2 covers you need to finish him off but it's a longshot. Those covers will come soon enough on their own (perhaps through a feeder perhaps from Bonus Hero, perhaps even from a Classic Token) and then you could find yourself with 3 Champed 5* instead of just 2. Or another way to look at it is if I just pulled Classic Tokens for the next 1-2 months I could easily get 13 5* covers distributed randomly across the 5* currently in there. If I wanted to try to build up a Gambit (or any other character from that matter) from nothing I don't see me doing that in less than a year.

Do I think the Gambit nerf went too far? Yes. If they gave the option to sell back some champ levels but still keep him at 450+ would I? Most likely. However, even if they nerfed him to Doc Ock levels I'd still want to keep mine around for when he's a PVE essential and also because at this point the main sense of progress I have in the game is the number of champed 5s in my roster.

I'm still hoping they scale back the nerf a bit (either on his red or removing the power lockout restriction). To me their is still the opportunity for them to satisfy their stated objective of making him no longer so overpowered that you have to have him and use him to be competitive in PVP vs making him not very useful at all in that arena.

Bottom line. His sale back offer is much better than OML was, but still you are sacrificing quite a bit and if RNG doesn't break your way stand to gain very little that is helpful in exchange. Even if RNG does break your way what you stand to get back isn't worth what you sacrifice IMO.