Seeking advice on 5* transition

Rockwell75
Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
Some time ago I got my first 5 to 13 covers (Gambit) and just yesterday my second (JJ).  The only other ones I have that are close are Spidey and Thor (at 9 and 11).  I have about half the 4s champed and many of the rest at 12 or 13.  My main goals are to make it to 900 in PVP and stick to SCL9 in PVE as much as possible.  What are the pros and cons to champing my two 5s (especially in light of the imminent Gambit nerf)?

Comments

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would consider waiting and set Thor as your one 5* bonus hero and invest in classics until he's finished. With him and JJ, post-Nerfbit you should be able to handle things.

Having Gambit now... well, you could go for it and probably do all right, but until you have Thor that 5* tier is going to cost you a lot more healthpacks in my experience.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah Thor is the next one I had in mind...I was debating whether to focus on classics for a bit or to continue with LLs in order to get Okoye.  Wasp seems forgettable.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Definitely bonus Thor.  He opens up a ton of options for you.  

I'd hold off on putting ISO into Gambit until you see what happens with the nerf and compensation.  Brigby already indicated that you won't get the full ISO investment from champing him back if you sell, so if you don't have a 14th cover expiring I'd keep your options open.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, to add to what I said, if your Thor isn't done the next time he comes around, get his 250 CP HfH cover if it aligns with your build. While it might seem pricey against 10-12 Legends, it really is worth it, especially if it will help you complete Thor.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow.. so many people saying Thor. Sounds like he'll be nerfed next if he's clearly that high above all other characters.

At least we have supports still.

(Get Thor, Thanos and Okoye)
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Champing 5* won't affect your PVE at all since the switch to SCL based scaling. Both JJ and Gambit (even nerfed) would still serve you well there. You may still find yourself using boosted 4* there for variety and/or speed as the case may be. Not sure what your placement/progression goals are in PVE but for me time spent vs rewards earned made SCL7 or SCL8 more appealing until I had more of my 5s up and running.

Champing 5* affect PVP a great deal. If your main goal is 900 I think JJ can get you there without too much trouble/shields (especially in the right slice [read 1, 3, or 4]). The main tradeoff (and it is a big one) you'll be making is variety (as you will find yourself needing to use the 5* you champ in pretty much every match).

As others have mentioned Thor should be a priority. He pairs well with JJ (and lots of other characters) and it's great that you've got him at 11 covers already.
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    I have JJ as my only champed 5* right now and she works very well as a first 5* champ. JJ/chavez with a crit tile boosting support works very well for pve. I typically stick to scl7 or 8 due to being EST and having to be up for work in the mornings so I can’t speak to how they fare in scl9 but I have been top10 on the regular in 7 & 8. In pvp I’ve finished 900+ all events since champing her, although i was doing that 9/10 times with 4 stars also. I think the biggest difference for you would be your amount of 4 star champs as you say you have half of them, while I have all but 9 champed, and therefore have more options/subs to pair with JJ in pvp; I’m not sure if that should be too much of a problem though, or a reason to skip playing around with a single champed 5*. Thor should be your next focus as gambit is not going to be a good pairing for her after this season. Long story short: JJ is a great first 5*, lots of damage and lots of fun.