Thank You For Sending Out A More Meaningful Survey

professorplum9
professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
A while ago I complained about answering the same survey question over and over again and I started this one and my first thought was "Here we go again"...but to my great surprise there was more. I liked how they gave you the option to take an expanded survey. I also appreciate the effort to get feedback on some possible features. I also recognize the efforts they took to keep the survey short and sweet to hopefully not scare off important input. I'd like to offer this topic as a place where people who would like could offer longer responses than the survey format allowed

Comments

• professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I liked the question about a feature that would allow you to not hit people in your alliance. What I wish I could have said is...

That would be great if...

1. You could turn the alliance filter on or off. Honestly, I'd rather hit a friend who's shielded than a stranger who isn't. There is value in having a queue that you know will be worth the points advertised when making a hop and your own alliance is a great source of them.

2. You could expand it to account for multiple alliances (I'm currently part of an expanded alliance that unfortunately don't even all share a similar name and I think there are quite a few in this boat). While I'm pretty familiar with the people in my own alliance and could recognize their name and skip accordingly. That is not the case with those in the other alliances in the family. It would be great if I could enter a list of alliance names that it could selectively filter. I changed alliances recently (and currently am having to check every opponent I hit) and it would be great if I didn't need to

3. If there was some way to just put the alliance name when you selected a node and didn't require a second click it would go along ways

I appreciate that they are asking this question. Friendly fire is lousy and unfortunately is more common than it should be.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Support came out and players requested for it.  :D 

In the last question, I wonder what's the different between new story and new event? 

Most of the additional questions centered around PvP.  It asked about not fighting alliance, choosing between a small set of team with various level of difficulty (scl based scaling?), retaliation nodes etc.Choose to answer additional questions and put your vote in the survey if changing PvP MMR is important to you.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I felt bad with the expanded mmr question. I know many high 5* rosters want expanded mmr but as someone in 4* champ land, I really don’t want “wider assortment of enemies.” I’ve worked hard to keep all my 4* champs around the same level and have ignored 5* since I don’t want to be forced to use the same handful of heroes. I can use whoever is champed that is good and I like having choices. Suddenly having champed 5* attacking me doesn’t sound like fun. I already face off against champed 3* so how much “weaker” opponents am I going to get? Chances are anyone weaker isn’t in SCL7/8 where I am playing.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Support came out and players requested for it.  :D 

In the last question, I wonder what's the different between new story and new event? 

Most of the additional questions centered around PvP.  It asked about not fighting alliance, choosing between a small set of team with various level of difficulty (scl based scaling?), retaliation nodes etc.Choose to answer additional questions and put your vote in the survey if changing PvP MMR is important to you.
    New story is like we normally have right?

And new events are thing like shield training, boss events, etc?

That’s what I took them to mean

i ultimately voted character rebalances since that’s a 2 in 1 vote. Weak characters will get buffs and we get the event that gives us an extra cover at the end. Win-win.
  • HoundofShadow
    That makes sense. I chose new event in the end.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i didn't see the 'all of the above' option. did you have to scroll down to find it?
  • HoundofShadow
    There isn't any all the above. Because they can't roll out all the changes simultaneously, but they can prioritize them based on majority votes.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would really have liked to be able to rank those options. If half of the players prefer A and the other half prefer B, but 80% of them would rank C as their second choice, C is the one that would benefit the most players to work on, you know?

Ultimately I chose new event, because I had already rambled in one of the comment boxes that we could use something that benefits broad rosters, so progressing through a tier is more meaningful (champing your 20th character in a tier actually gives more options in a month-long gauntlet or something, instead of being one more character you have ready for Essential nodes and PVP events)
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose new event meaning new game modes. Not just a Boss event, which would be new story.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

3. If there was some way to just put the alliance name when you selected a node and didn't require a second click it would go along ways
    This. I think most players already avoid hitting alliance mates, but it is hard to remember everyone's name on your alliance (especially when you are part of a big multi-alliance group) and you might not have time to check alliance during a shield hop scramble. Should take care of most of the problem without having to change how matchmaking is done.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope when they dive into the data they recognize the difference between 'why did you give it a ___?" and "what do you want to see added?"

The two answers were not the same for me; the first reflected my dissatisfaction with the ongoing Steam UI stuff and reticence to recommend the game to a new player who'd be on Steam, and the second was more about me going "okay, the UI choice probably doesn't reflect Steam specifically, so given that I'm apt to be disappointed either way with that option, which of the OTHER possibilities would I, personally, most like to see?"
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    many of those proposed changes would kill pvp for me.  these suggestions seem to particularly target team pvp, which would be financial suicide.

1 no hitting teammates
    2 no skips
    3 wider mmr

2 of 3 would kill team pvp, which is what keeps this game interesting for me.  Meeting rocket and groot every other week isn't cutting it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Twysta said:
    Last time they ran a different survey absolutely nothing came of it.
    I'm still waiting for Alliance vs Alliance events and being able to send out characters on your roster to do missions or whatever so that they actually do something rather than just having a large roster where the majority just gather dust.
    Kraven anyone? 

Maybe nothing came of it because the majority of people said "No thank"?

I mean...I have a hard time believing that, but it might be the case =/
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    It wouldn't let me finish the survey because I can't answer one of the questions truthfully, so I left it blank.  When they asked "would you rather have a bigger pool or a smaller pool of PvP opponents?" there was no neutral answer of "PvP doesn't interest me in the slightest and I'm not going to care in any significant way."

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Twysta said:
    Last time they ran a different survey absolutely nothing came of it.
    I'm still waiting for Alliance vs Alliance events and being able to send out characters on your roster to do missions or whatever so that they actually do something rather than just having a large roster where the majority just gather dust.
    Kraven anyone? 

Maybe nothing came of it because the majority of people said "No thank"?

I mean...I have a hard time believing that, but it might be the case =/
    Is it  that hard to believe?  Based on @The rockett 's "Soul Season Recap" post, there are just under 60,000 players in SCL brackets 7, 8, & 9 combined.  I don't think it's too far off to estimate that brackets 1 thru 6 are smaller each, so let's say not quite 40,000 players in them total for a rough estimate of an active player-base of about 100,000 people.

With that knowledge, the sample of opinions we get here on the forums is not representative of the over-all feelings of most of the players.  There are what, a couple hundred active forum users?  Even if there are 1000 of us, that's still only 1% of the active player base.  The most vocal people are here in the forums, but the vast majority aren't.  The most competitive of us are generally more passionate about the games and are in here letting our feelings be known. 

That being said, it would not surprise me of the majority of the players that respond to the surveys didn't want more competitive events.  The VAAAAAST majority of the players of MPQ play it as a casual game.  They don't want more reasons to not care.  Forming opinions about the entire group from the small skewed sample space of the forums (or top competitive alliances) just leads to confirmation-bias.

This discrepancy is why the surveys they put out in game often do not reflect what we see here in the forums.  Sometimes we just have to sit back, take pause, and realize "we're the outliers in this game, not the average players."
  • MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    abmoraz said:

That being said, it would not surprise me of the majority of the players that respond to the surveys didn't want more competitive events.  The VAAAAAST majority of the players of MPQ play it as a casual game.  They don't want more reasons to not care.  

This is me. I stopped playing PvP completely last year and I'm totally waning on PvE lately. With that, I actually do still respond to every survey request because I REALLY want these devs to put more time and effort into the casual game that's not just extra boss battles or one new story event a year (that they end up pulling because it's broken).

The last question was hard because I want them to work on damn near all of those choices but I ended up going with "new story". JHawk hit it on the head. They should've let us rank the choices in order of importance.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    I picked new enemies, because I'm tinykiity tired of beating up on the Dark Avengers and Juggernaut all the time.