Saved covers are hurting my 2* farm

On paper, the ability to save extra covers on the way to champing them is a great addition to MPQ from the player's perspective. In practice, however, I still have 4*s dying on the vine because of a shortage of ISO and it's continuing cost prohibitiveness (if that's even a word). I want to buy ISO; I really do. C'mon.

Wah wah wah, I know, anyway...

The problem I've experienced with the way the ability to save covers has been implemented is that I just wasted five 2*Hawkeye covers because when looking at that character, the UI appeared the same way it does when you can add a specifically-colored cover to a character the same way we always do. I thought, "Huh, I must have missed pulling that purple cover," but upon tapping the screen to add that cover, the five saved covers were consumed in its place. This isn't a huge deal, obviously, but it was annoying. 2*s drop regularly enough that it's not much of a setback, but I've already pulled a few covers that would have finished off the character in question.

Inventory clutter is a bit of a time suck and I'd been using saved covers as method of tidying up the old inbox. Lesson learned.

Has anybody else experienced a similar cover waste?

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hm. I haven't done that, but I can see why it would be inconvenient, if not totally misleading. I'm surprised the game doesn't offer a confirmation popup when converting 5 saved covers into a new cover level, more or less the same way they do when you're buying one for CP. The saved covers are in some sense a 'currency', so a confirmation to spend said currency would be a nice courtesy.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    The real question is whether the system prioritizes a vine cover for adding a color - assuming you have it - over converting 5.  I assume it does.... but I have yet to save a cover.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I haven't had that happen to me yet, but I can confirm that the saved covers do get added as Champ rewards. It adds the saved covers first and then the ones on the vine.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    The real question is whether the system prioritizes a vine cover for adding a color - assuming you have it - over converting 5.  I assume it does.... but I have yet to save a cover.
    It doesn't currently, it prioritizes the saved covers. But that's maybe not an intended feature, as per Brigby.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I'd say the title is misleading, but yes I've seen others mentioning this happening.  It would be really great if there was some sort of indicator that shows you are about to use saved covers vs a cover you actually have in queue.  It's only a matter of time before someone does this with a 5*.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    In general you could avoid it by always training it from the queue instead of the training page. The OP would have avoided it too, since there was no cover to apply.
    But then it gets messed up with a max champ and a uncovered dupe. Sometimes it asks what power you want to retrain when applying a cover instead of applying it to the dupe. If that dupe also had 5 saved covers, you are really rolling the dice on if the programming gets it right.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    An option would be to allow your queue to get cluttered for 14 days until that cover is about to expire. If you had not pulled the necessary 13th cover yet at that point, then you go ahead and save it. But as you said above, with 2*s, you'll probably end up with that needed cover way before you'll need to hit that save button.

Prior to the save feature, I would create another clone in order to avoid the cover waste you mentioned. So my roster would look something like this: lvl 144 max champed 2* daken, level 15 5/2/5 daken, then if I had expiring daken covers in queue, I'd make another dupe: x/0/x level 15 daken. When I got that 13th black daken cover, I'll sell the max champ, recycle the iso into the now fully covered dupe daken and champ it. in a month or so, that will be max champed and I'll be building up the x/0/x daken dupe next. Farming over and over for champ rewards or cannibalizing to build 3*s, 4*s, and 5*s.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did exactly the same thing with Moonstone! My Moonstone was stuck at 1/4/5 with 5 saved up. It then shows I can add a cover to purple or red and it confused me into thinking I must have those on the vine. I selected the red and was then going to select the purple afterwards. Obviously then realised it had used my saved covers and now left me sat with a 1/5/5 Moonstone. Far from ideal. 

A popup confirming you want to use your saved covers would be ideal.