Saved Covers - Bug, User Error, or Developer Oversight?

firethorne
firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
Okay, so I have an Ant-Man dying on the vine, and I see no way to put it into "saved" covers.

And, I'm thinking it may be due to this line from the explanation @Brigby posted:
Covers can be saved on non-Champion characters, who have less than 13 total covers.

That isn't the case for my Ant-Man.  I have 13 covers.  My problem here isn't that it is unusable due to cover color, it is unusable due to me not having enough ISO to champion characters before the cover expires.  Ant-Man isn't the only one I've had in this situation.  So, am I just missing how to do this, or does this new system not cover what seems to be a very common cause of cover waste for me?  

Comments

• chrisH
    chrisH Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    No this is working as intended. If you have 13 covers the extra is not unusable due to you not having the ISO. You could always buy more ISO from them.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once you have a total of 13 covers you cannot save anything.  It doesn’t matter about the color break down. You are 13/13 so you have to champ him or sell it.  That’s it.  
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looking more, Mr F is the only one that you could
    save covers for.  No other ones.  
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Right, the intent is to not lose covers because you aren't getting the right covers to get to 13. Like if you got a blue Mr. F and couldn't use it because you already have 5 of that one but are otherwise unable to champ him because of 12 covers.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Cover save is stop waste of covers when you’re at 5 of a specific power but below 13 covers, not to be meant as a simple storage locker for when you have chosen not to champ a certain toon.

I don’t see a big issue making it so that it could act as a storage locker as well but I assume the 2 week countdown to drive more play/possible spend is more desirable for the devs.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You have 3 days to get the iso to save that cover,  what's the problem? 
  • McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Has anyone else seen that it is not just the “below 13 covers” threshold that needs to be considered? I had an OBW at 5/3/4 earlier today with 3 black and one blue cover on the vine and 2 saved covers in the bank. I was not able to save any of the covers on the vine. It was as if because I had the blue cover to make her a 13/13 character, I was not permitted to save any more covers. Is this working as intended?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, that's quite disappointing.  Thanks for the responses, though. 

I had mostly lost interest in MPQ, in no small part due to wasted rewards.  While this is better than before, (but token dilution worse again?  Why!?)  it still seems to be a half measure, especially when there are some other games I'm playing now with no such waste. Won't mention them since the mods will redact the post anyways, but know they're out there.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    You can only save covers that you already have 5 in that color.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Has anyone else seen that it is not just the “below 13 covers” threshold that needs to be considered? I had an OBW at 5/3/4 earlier today with 3 black and one blue cover on the vine and 2 saved covers in the bank. I was not able to save any of the covers on the vine. It was as if because I had the blue cover to make her a 13/13 character, I was not permitted to save any more covers. Is this working as intended?

Yes, because the two earlier covers were in the full purple slot. The blacks and the blue could be applied and did not need to be saved. It is designed as a 'saving' mechanism, most though are reading it as a 'banking' mechanism. If you could champion (at 13) or with the covers you have then you are not 'saving' them. Lack of iso does not count as in a position to lose them as you can always buy iso.

For the same reason having no slots available to roster the newest 4* or 5* doesn't make it available to save - you can always buy HP.
  • McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    I understand that the intention of the devs to "save" covers as opposed to "banking" them to delay champing or getting more time to gather iso. It just comes across to me as a half measure to prevent waste as others have pointed out and highlights one of the bigger problems of progressing/enjoying this game: lack of iso. The iso crunch is real (in the 4-5* tier especially) and it forces you to grind until it's not fun anymore. Coupled with the ridiculous real money cost of iso which they seem to want to push us towards, I can see why ppl are burning out and walking away. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Working as intended. Wasted covers come from three scenarios:

1) imperfect distribution. For example: 7/5/1 10/8/0 etc.

2) Lack of Iso-8 to champion character

3) Lack of Roster Slot

This Saved Cover was designed at solving only scenario 1. Nothing half-hearted about it. If you want to turn it into a banking feature, you might as well ask the dev to scrap Saved Covers and simply remove the 14 days timer on covers in the vine. Wouldn't it solve 1, 2 and 3?