Reprints

gogol666
gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
I know the topic has been debated a few times already and I'm also sure people asked about it in the monthly q&a, but I cannot find if there is an official position from d3/oktagon about reprints.
With core19 coming a lot of cards in origins and other sets are going to be reprinted in paper. This allows for a certain continuity among standard and helps new player building the core for their decks.
I believe reprints can be beneficial for mtgpq too, but I have no clue whether they will be implemented and, if so, how.
My first question is: "is there already an official position about it?"
Since I guess the answer is no, my proposal is to discuss how would you players would like to have reprints implemented in mtgpq. Then before the actual paper release we can have a poll voting among the proposals that make more sense to give d3/oktagon our take before the set is out.

Comments

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the past they have just been ignored. 
    I believe the database has a "set" entry for each card and it can only be in one set but they can adjust this with only a bit of a bother, it was just never cost-effective before.

Going forward, if they are doing every paper set, then reprints are just going to be necessary. So _now_ is the time to put the work into making that change possible for the future.
    And since Oktagon have been doing a few things that seem to be planning for the future I suspect they already have it underway... (And if they haven't they can start now and pretend they did!)

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    A good chunk of cards are not translated from paper magic to MTGPQ even if they are new. The same will happen with M19 if it is released here. Reprints are good candidates for cards that won't make the cut.
  • gogol666
    While most of the reprints I don't care about, there is also the elephant in the room: omniscience. I have it, I love it and I prefer a game where it is legal even if nerfed.
    To me the subject of reprints becomes important when we can still play rare/mythic cards we already have without having to pull them or craft them again. Obviously if I have to pull disperse another time it isn't a big deal, but omniscience is.
  • khurram
    Omniscience, The Masterpiece should fade to legacy as it is, where it belongs.

If they decide to include it in M19 it ought to be an entirely new card, at mythic rarity and balanced.
  • gogol666
    khurram said:

If they decide to include it in M19 it ought to be an entirely new card, at mythic rarity and balanced.
    I completely disagree with you: the omniscience reprinted in m19 is exactly the same omniscience of HOU. That's why it is called a reprint
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    I have a feeling omni will just be quietly ignored, and instead focus on the elder dragons and friends ;)
  • khurram
    gogol666 said:
    khurram said:

I completely disagree with you: the omniscience reprinted in m19 is exactly the same omniscience of HOU. That's why it is called a reprint
    Of course you do  :)

They are just going to ignore the M19 reprint anyway. Which is fine really.

• GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    I agree, let Omniscience fade away. We don't need that card in the meta. 
    Disclaimer: I own Omniscience.
  • gogol666
    I don't know if ignoring reprints is fine, since you don't give much of an argument to your opinion. However, core sets in the paper mtg always had a group of cards in common among the different editions and that, in my opinion, helped to build some continuity while jumping through the different planes. Origins had that function for mtgpq so far and going towards m19 origins is the set that is going to be replaced (together with hou). Thus, ignoring reprints sounds much worse (to me) if origins is being rotated with m19, because we are losing a lot of the continuity offered by it.
    Of course I'm missing a lot some official information about m19 and d3/oktagon's view about it
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    gogol666 said:
    I don't know if ignoring reprints is fine, since you don't give much of an argument to your opinion. However, core sets in the paper mtg always had a group of cards in common among the different editions and that, in my opinion, helped to build some continuity while jumping through the different planes. Origins had that function for mtgpq so far and going towards m19 origins is the set that is going to be replaced (together with hou). Thus, ignoring reprints sounds much worse (to me) if origins is being rotated with m19, because we are losing a lot of the continuity offered by it.
    Of course I'm missing a lot some official information about m19 and d3/oktagon's view about it
    How about this arguement.... there are 269 cards in Dominaria. Oktagon only pushed 192 into MTGPQ for reasons of duplication, mechanic of card(s) being problematic for PQ, and that is the agreed number of cards in a set that they try to meet for PQ. 

• khurram
    edited June 2018
    I repeat. Cards that are not even reprints don't make the cut from paper to PQ (and there are always cuts). Adding the same stuff again does not seem interesting when they could add the cards that will be entirely new to PQ.

PS: I should also put a disclaimer that I too own Omniscience. I do love that card. And i even got a duplicate of it from a TotP booster.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    Nobody cares about "reprints".  They care about Omniscience.

It should either be Nerfed and downshifted to a Mythic, or it should be Nerfed and remain a Masterpiece, or it should be Nerfed and deleted from the Puzzle Quest catalog.

Also, Etali shouldn't have haste.  At least, not until I can get my hands on one.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    The full set is revealed and of all the cards, there are only 32 reprints that already exist in PQ. Omni is the only one that anyone would even remotely care about since the rest are mostly just filler fluff cards anyway. Given the constant uproar on the forums about Omni, I expect they skip it in M19 and just leave the current MP version to waste away, as-is, in Legacy (it will rotate with M19).
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    EDHdad said:
    Nobody cares about "reprints".  They care about Omniscience.

It should either be Nerfed and downshifted to a Mythic, or it should be Nerfed and remain a Masterpiece, or it should be Nerfed and deleted from the Puzzle Quest catalog.

Also, Etali shouldn't have haste.  At least, not until I can get my hands on one.
    I said the same thing about Etali. I have it now and I generally don't use it. My cards are usually better than the opponent cards. Why would I want to cast their crummy creature or support that doesn't go along with my deck in any meaningful way? I usually got the free card and then pitched it.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Based on all of the whining that omni elicited as an mp, I think it would be a terrible idea to include it ,even if they do roll with reprints. I understand that you want to play with it ,but that card could legit run off the player base if they included it in another set . I can't think of any card more divisive. In fact, if it was a mythic , I might actually walk away . As is, half of platinum has it. I really don't want to face omni bolas 75% of the time. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    From what I can see, there are 25 cards in Core 2019 that currently exist in Puzzle Quest, and of those 25 several are reprints from sets currently legal in standard. The few that aren't never got reprinted in the past when they were introduced into sets that were in standard after the format was introduced. Tormenting Voice is a good example as it was in Shadows over Innistrad and Amonkhet, and it will be printed again in Core 2019.

It's not impossible that they will decide to readdress how reprints are translated into the game, personally I'd like to see the art updated to the current version, and the card removed from the old set and tagged as being part of the new one while just updating the card in the inventory of anyone who already has it. But what's more likely, at least for now, is maintaining the same practice that was already in place, just ignore the reprints and focus on what's new.
  • gogol666
    I like last proposal (updating card for whom already owns then) and I guess I will be able to come to terms to the loss of omniscience ;-)
    They will be putting some broken craziness to replace it
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think ignoring reprints is "more likely" at all. I see them deliberately planning ahead and I think _this_ is the watershed moment for dealing with reprints to make them ready for the future. I very much doubt they will be ignored.

• HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    I think I'm going to expect them to follow the precedent until they say otherwise. We still know absolutely nothing about m19 in regards to mtgpq. I don't see any reason it wouldn't hit the game, as it's a standard legal set , but we still don't have any sort of confirmation 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    EDHdad said:

I know how you feel ;)