Time for the Power of Choice - Give players more control

Kevmcg
Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
I've been thinking of this for a while and the announcement today on PVP has thrown me over the edge to do some typing.

The game would garner a lot of goodwill if it was designed to let players pick how they want to play and which rewards. I know that the trade-off is programming and resources involved, but look what they were able to do with Supports - anything is possible.

Every event requires a player to choose the SCL/difficulty and the time slice. All players should also choose from these 3 options:

1) PVP - Point-based or Win-based for progression awards (not for placement) THIS IS NOW MOOT!
2) PVP and PVE - Instead of one set option for rewards, 2 sets of covers are shown to pick which you want (one can be vintage and one can be latest - Rulk or Valkyrie as an example.)
3) PVP and PVE - On event entry, you decide which set of resource rewards you are going after, Purple or Red ISO. Heavy up the option that is selected - all purple ISO rewards are now red if that path is chosen.

The main idea is to give choice to players.  Personally, I don't need more Purple ISO thanks to farming. I'd love to choose the covers that I am weakest in.  My Rulk is 370, but I could always use more of the recent Valkyrie.

Too many veterans have hit a level where the event/grind is meaningless because the rewards are no longer worth the chase - surplus of $5M+ purple ISO, max champed 5-star. Why not allow for a choice of other alternatives on entry to engage more players.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    From option 2 and 3 I would support option 3 more so than option one.  I think the game needs more red iso badly for supports to take off for vets.  Choosing which 4* cover you want could work but overall I think this is what bonus hero’s are for to get you more of the covers you want.  

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't disagree with the thesis. Additional limited, but meaningful choice for the player is generally a good thing.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't disagree with the thesis. Additional limited, but meaningful choice for the player is generally a good thing.
    I've always thought one "fix" to dilution would be to split tokens in half.

Like, Heroics come in Blue and Gold options (after the X-Men teams), each one has all the 2's, but half the 3's and 4's. Gives players a choice, makes it easier to chase specific characters.

But then you divvy them out some, so sometimes you get Blue Heroics, sometimes Gold Heroics, and only rarely do you get to pick between the two. The goal would be that players would acquire both, but maybe you put a few extra Gold in PVP, and a few extra Blue in PVE, so if you want one in particular there's a way to pursue them. (then you could do something crazy like switch them each season, so next season it's Blue in PVP and Gold in PVE, or maybe the characters in them change a few at a time).

Long term you don't want to make it too easy (if you can perpetually hoard Blue tokens until you roster and champ all of the Gold 3's, for example, it would make it easier to get through the entire 3* tier without being pressured to buy HP to roster missing covers, and that wouldn't be great for the game, but ideally at any given time you'd have a choice for which token to go after, giving the player some agency, you know?).

And you could repeat for Classic LTs, theoretically.

It's not really more than a drawing-board idea, really, but I agree that adding more choices like Latest vs Classic LTs, or which characters you select for Bonus Heroes, are good things to give the player more involvement in the process.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who wants red ISO?
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    bbigler said:
    Who wants red ISO?
    People who are over the iso hump and would rather have a resource they can use.  Personally Id rather have a conversion from iso to hp or cp...
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Kevmcg I agree.  As many vets have said here, this game is just at a grind mode.  We are just hoping for something more to come out so we can stay engaged.   
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    The game and every decision revolves around two things, money and keeping players. Anything that makes progression to fast or too easy will never be implemented. Once the grind is finished people quit.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    They could keep/gain more players if they introduced some new gamemodes! PvP and PvE are basically the same for the most part. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just think after a certain shield rank,  the game should shift to giving you more 3 and 4 stars  instead of 1 and 2 stars.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Twysta said:
    They could keep/gain more players if they introduced some new gamemodes! PvP and PvE are basically the same for the most part. 
    I know this wasn't OPs point, but this is the most important thing that can be done.  Most mobile games have at least four or five (or more) game modes.  MPQ basically has two.  Those two can become very, very repetitive and the way the game is set up, there is a LOT of downtime.