Updating 3*-->4* feeders

Sm0keyJ0e
Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
In light of other recent changes I think this warrants discussion again. We were previously told that they did not want to update 3* feeders for 4*'s because of "pulling the rug" out from those who have been working toward something. Seems like benevolent reasoning, but there have been plenty of instances where the rug was pulled out anyway and without warning. The recent changes to 4*'s is a very good example: what about all those players who were counting on the increased latest odds to finish off their recent 4* additions? Isn't that basically the same thing?

I understand it's now impossible to have all 4*'s fed by a 3* as there are far more 4*'s than 3*'s now. But some 4*'s have more than one 3* feeder (4* Elektra, for example). This is just silly.

Seems like a great way to help with 4* dilution would be to update the 3* feeders at this point. And to actually cover all 4*'s, maybe one 3* could spit out two different 4* covers.

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    The argument against this has been not wanting to pull the wool out from under someone about to hit one of those rewards they’ve potentially been working towards.  Which I can understand, but at this point, I think they need to be addressed again.  Especially in light of full 4* dilution.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have had the rug pulled out from under us many times in this game, this just seems like a dumb thing not to do.  There are 4-3* that feed the same 4*.  How easy would it be for them just update this during an offseason or heck anytime.  

With the update to tokens, we really need something like this updated. 

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's a lousy PR reply to excuse the lack of updates...same as pretty much any other reason for making simple changes. I just can't imagine that they feel the entire player base would be upset at losing a double feeder than getting an updated feeder that could cover a latest release over a dull meta-passed character.

If this was such a concern at the 3 star level, then they rationally should have applied this to 5 star feeder...or the initial changes to feeder originally...or Hawkeye when they changed his rewards.

The PR "don't want to upset everybody" is qrose for them than just telling us that they're too lazy or focused on other aspects to make those changes.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    My opinion is, yeah, update those 3's.....But this might be a little tricker than I thought.

Who is double fed?

XForce Wolverine (Colossus and Patch)
    4Star Lord (Gamora and 3SL)
    Jean Grey (Beast and Angel)
    X-23 (Daken and Ragnarok)
    Elektra (3lektra and Daredevil)

Of these, probably 4SL has best maintained a place in the meta.  The rest either never were that good, or have been nerfed, or just outclassed by newer 4's.  So let's find some new 4's to feed, right?

The devs have shown an inclination to (usually) make a strong canon or story connection from the feeder to the fed, so to speak.

From that perspective, there's a bit of a problem in some of these cases. 

Some of these seem pretty obvious: like point Gamora to Gamora.

Two of the Xmen are still in Latest, but you could point Colossus to Nightcrawler and Beast to Jubilee.  After them you don't have any currently unfed X-Men.

EDIT:  There is no longer such a thing as "who is in Latest".  There is no Latest anymore!  Flip the switch on Nightcrawler and Jubilee post haste.  

Daredevil/Elektra?  Who to point one of these to?  There aren't a lot of good options in the 4 tier unless you double feed someone else or find some random 4 to feed from them.  Maybe Daredevil could feed Cloak and Dagger?  It's a big stretch but I could make an argument for "street-level" affinity.

Ragnarok should probably point to a villain; maybe Mordo?  Kraven?  There are so few villains in the 4 tier.  Maybe he could feed Valkyrie at some point.

Side note:  Can anyone explain why Thanos feeds Spider-Woman?  

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for other's thoughts on connections in a couple of these cases.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daredevil -> Kingpin. I feel there’s a slight connection there. You plus Fisk feeds 5* Daredevil. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Daredevil -> Kingpin. I feel there’s a slight connection there. You plus Fisk feeds 5* Daredevil. 
    Of course there’s a connection, but Bullseye feeds Kingpin, and then you still have two 3’s feeding a 4.

They could certainly at least address some of the easy ones, if nothing else.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Imagine a scenario using 4-star Star-Lord as an example. Gamora and 3-star Star-lord give him as champed reward. There are at most three group of players wanting to get St4r-Lord's covers through champed rewards.

Group 1: using Gamora.
    Group 2: Using 3-Star Star-Lord
    Group 3: Using both Gamora and 3-Star Star-Lord

Change the 4* covers rewards for either one of them, you'll see at least one group of players become unhappy. 

You could argue that they have made changes that made some of you unhappy, which is almost every changes. Therefore, it's okay to change the 3* feeder rewards even if other players will become unhappy.

The changes to the 4* odds in packs is different from 3* feeder reward changes. When you open a pack, you have to deal with RNG. When you leveled G3mora to 183, you will get a purple cover of St4r-Lord. You are not going to get a Wolverine or Deadpool cover because it's a guarantee that you will get St4r-Lord purple cover at level 183.

Given how easy it is to get 3* covers for veterans and only the veterans will enjoy the benefits of a 3* giving out 3 covers of two 4* each at the outset, it's highly unlikely the devs will implement this. Newer players in 4* land are going to see wasted champed rewards due to lack of roster slots.

Thanos giving Spider-Woman as champed reward is baffling though. Thanos could have given Drax at that point of time since G4mora and R4G was released after him. 

• Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Changing the double feeders is long overdue and their reason not to is flimsy but we'll work with it.

Most changes happen on 1 to 3 days notice. If they give us a months notice before changing the feeders it would gives players enough time to change plans accordingly.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Of course there’s a connection, but Bullseye feeds Kingpin, and then you still have two 3’s feeding a 4.

They could certainly at least address some of the easy ones, if nothing else.
    Doh! Redacted!
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    but they don't need to pull the rug out of anything.
    Just communicate with your player base. A heads up is all it would take:
    "On July 3rd the following feeders will be updated" + In-game banner = done
    update and freshen your content already

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    The ones that don't make sense need to be addressed asap:

3* Dr Strange > 4* Nova (should be Mordo)
    3* Thanos > Spider Woman (could be 4* Nova due to cosmic association)
    3* Angel > 4* Jean Grey (I get that they're both original Xmen but Beast is already covering her so why not Iceman)
    3* Mystique > 4* Iceman (Remove and introduce 4* Magneto or Sabretoothe. If they have to double feed the most logical one would be Rogue)
    3* Colossus > 4* Wolverine (makes sense due to Fastball Special association but currently double feeding with Patch so why not switch to Nightcrawler)
    3* Thor > 4* Red Hulk (uh, what? Switch to Jane Foster please)
    3* Storm > Jane Foster (I get the goddess and lightning association but since we're updating Thor why not make her feed Jubilee instead?)
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    My suggestion was that they add more champion levels to all 3* characters. To keep 3*s balanced with the 4* tier, no levels past 266 will increase their HP or stats, they will only give additional champion rewards. These champion rewards could include a second and even third set of 4* rewards featuring different characters.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

Side note:  Can anyone explain why Thanos feeds Spider-Woman? 
    I think it is because of the matching chins:

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I agree that 3* feeders is overdue.
    I also agree that it's more important to look at them again with the tinykitty change to 4* odds.

However, for me and many others the main problem from the change is going to be keeping up with the new 4*s.  Changing feeders will do little to fix that problem unless they update feeders every time a new 4* comes out which I can't see them doing and I could being largely unfavorable.

There's also still the growing problem of there being significantly more 4*s than 3*s so not all can have feeders in the current system.  While I'm not holding my breath I keep wonder if at some point there difference is significant enough to make every 3* have 2 4* tokens in their champ rewards.  That way all 4* characters can have at least 1 feeder and 26 would have double feeders.  This would also open the way for a system of updating feeders every time a new 4* comes out by slowing taking away the double feeders.

That being said another 1 time shake up of 3* > 4* feeders is long, long overdue.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,103 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing that I find strange is that 3 of the new 3* characters introduced in 2017 (Star-Lord, Elektra and Angel) all fed a 4* character who already had a feeder. Surely at least those three being re-assigned would not be gamebreaking. There is no logical reason why they didn't have their own distinct 4 in the first place.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    We have had the rug pulled out from under us many times in this game, this just seems like a dumb thing not to do.  There are 4-3* that feed the same 4*.  How easy would it be for them just update this during an offseason or heck anytime.  

With the update to tokens, we really need something like this updated. 

I think the proposal is not necessarily to change anything that players have been working toward, but to simply add a second 4* to the champ rewards of all 3*s.  This way all 4s are fed by at least one 3*, and some will be fed by two.  Dilution is making it harder and harder to cover 4*s and since they clearly aren't interested in increasing the number of 4* covers that drop by any significant amount the least they could do is give each 3* champ another three 4* drops.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    The thing that I find strange is that 3 of the new 3* characters introduced in 2017 (Star-Lord, Elektra and Angel) all fed a 4* character who already had a feeder. Surely at least those three being re-assigned would not be gamebreaking. There is no logical reason why they didn't have their own distinct 4 in the first place.
    Starlord & Electra mame sense since they had 4*s before they had 3*s. It's their original feeders that shoukd be reassigned. Gamora to Gamora is obvious. Where to point Daredevil and either Beast or Angel to is less obvious, but there are plenty of good options.