God mode boosted 5*: Is this needed?

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
With every 5* once they get released, we have a time that they are boosted to almost a God mode level. They are boosted to 90 levels over their normal level. The question is, is this really needed?  Please post your thoughts below. 

God mode boosted 5*: Is this needed? 67 votes

Yes, please explain
29%
DormammuColognoisseurseshomaJexmanDartmaster01whitecat31mpqr7HendrossbeyonderbubLopan15Tony_FootCalnexinevade420supergarvbrollBubba3210purplemurPolly_P1Shintok17Bert2099 20 votes
No, please explain
67%
KolenceTwystaWonko33YasurusinnerjflrixmithBowgentlekillercoolxKOBALTxabmorazchris0001moss04MagicTiggidaneodukeswordfishdataUNC_SamuraiArctic_OneMoosePrimePolarPopBear 45 votes
Other
2%
alaethgranne 2 votes

Comments

• Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    No, please explain
    PvP is a frigging nightmare as it is
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    No, please explain
    Boosts are nice for new releases to encourage you to utilize them; but 100 levels on a 5* is crazy pants.  The normal pvp 5* boost of 12 levels or however much it is would be more than reasonable.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, please explain
    Boosts are nice for new releases to encourage you to utilize them; but 100 levels on a 5* is crazy pants.  The normal pvp 5* boost of 12 levels or however much it is would be more than reasonable.
    Useless, you mean.
    Make it 40 levels, and roll out 5* boosts in every PVP.

Maybe in another 4 years they'll consider it.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    No, please explain
    I'm never going to have a new 5* soon enough for the boost to help me.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    Yes, please explain
    With the decision to use the most recent 5* as an essential less than 72h after entering Latest tokens the boost makes the 5e a little less of a health pack drain.

I am also fine with those who cash in a hoard to have a couple weeks of god mode.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, please explain
    Just think it is crazy that a 460 is now a 550. Just insane for PVP.  I don’t mind if they are boosted some but 90 levels is just crazy for PVP. 
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    No, please explain
    Bowgentle said:
    Useless, you mean.
    Make it 40 levels, and roll out 5* boosts in every PVP.

Maybe in another 4 years they'll consider it.
    Came to say this - the 5* tier is large enough now to support boosting a couple every week.  Add 90 to the new one, fine - but give me 40 or 50 on a couple others to try and shake up the meta a bit.

edit:  Also, don't ever boost Gambit.  Seriously - whatever random method is used to pick boosted characters....fix it so that it never lands on Gambit.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, please explain
    Sure, why not? Promoting new characters is one of the major sources of revenue for this game and helps keep it going. I mean, unless everyone is opening their wallet for supports...  :#
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, please explain
    Yes. It encourages people throwing money at the game which keeps the game going. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    For PvE? Sure! Great way of having some real fun with the brand new 5* you just champed. You wanna see what that thing will be like in the future when you've got a bunch of covers for it, so why not have a glimpse early?

For PvP? OMG make it stop. The only fights worth a damn are 100,000HP Okoyes and it takes sooooo looooong.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    I’m running 540 Okoye and taken at least 20 losses to non Okoye teams.  A 4 star guy running Vulture took me down today.  Gambit was totally unreasonable at 540.  All the rest have been no big deal, even Thor.   Jmo. Ymmv.

*edit* Just wanted to add that when I put Gambit in the losses mostly stopped.  Got a whole bunch of D wins though.  GPQ still.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, please explain
    The Whaler was the name for the Burger King fish sandwich. Also the name of a Connecticut Hockey team. In reality: whalers were fierce. Read some Inuit accounts of warfare and hunting: what a tough life. So too with players that have to takedown the great whales(that had 550 Gambit before it was 2$, and those that actually do pay that much for a store/vault) They have a very hard time in the game. I feel for you(thoughts&prayers) and respect that you earn all due rewards for placement.
    buuuuuut MMR gonna MMR. We all know(mostly, mostly) the reasons you end up queuing 550's: you weren't out minding your own business and they dropped out of a tree. 1 boosted character is not the cause. That character isn't being boosted to 640. The same 550 that the rest of them are. So maybe Okoye is that good? hmm it's almost like they are trying to show us something........think of it as a spoiler.
    For anyone not hunting whaled new-new out the gate; getting a chance to experience a whoop 5* is fun!. That thing you used to have playing the game: FUN.
     The release boost happens once and I won't have her like this for years. Why take that away from everyone? 
    Who's against boosts anyway? (A:#teamnerf) What we need is more! we need 200% more boosts 200% more buffs 

Forum be like:
    1)"all you ever see is the same 3 teams". became: "I hate that I see someone different for a limited time!"
    2)"Pull your hordes: Okoye just entered tokens!" became: "I hate when the character I just hoarded for is boosted!"

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, please explain
    For most people, it's an incentive to try out the character.  For any given release, non-whale players are either going to bust a hoard to fully cover it, or open enough latest to try to cover essentials.  They're not necessarily going to have the resources to level them, or have any feel for how the character plays, so boosting it reduces the risk when trying out the unknown.  Average players can get a feel for it, and may make spend decisions (yea or nay) based on it.

No one's going to be impressed with the sub-300 lvl character, so unless you're the type who takes the public stats and runs simulations in their free time, the temporary boost provides a good indicator of whether it's worth investing in.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    No, please explain
    658_2 said:
    I’m running 540 Okoye and taken at least 20 losses to non Okoye teams.  A 4 star guy running Vulture took me down today.  Gambit was totally unreasonable at 540.  All the rest have been no big deal, even Thor.   Jmo. Ymmv.

*edit* Just wanted to add that when I put Gambit in the losses mostly stopped.  Got a whole bunch of D wins though.  GPQ still.
    I disagree.  Okoye might very well be the absolute worst 5* on defense, but with over 100k health she is just ridiculously annoying to fight.  Matches take forever - especially in the C&D event where it wasn't uncommon to run into a featured with 80k health as well.  It allows players to punch WELL above their weight, float higher, hop longer, etc.  It really is an imbalance to the PvP meta that IMO would be better by either adding a couple other boosted 5*s, or just removing altogether. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, please explain
    Yes, definitely needed. It takes me a minimum of 6 months of very hard work or many years of little work to get enough LTs and CP hoarded so that I can champion a new release 5* (well all three at once), so gosh darn it, I deserve a few weeks of god-mode and to be able to win some pvp matches for once!
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Yes, please explain

I have to say, it is like hazing. (A horrible thing by the way). You get punished by somebody who happens to pull the hoard to get the new character, but look forward to the day, where you too can do the same to them or others. 

For a MPQ point of view of getting a profit:

It is an incentive for people to earn and eventually to bust the hoard  of command points and legendary tokens possibly making MPQ a profit and sustaining the game.   

It also helped MPQ possibly make a profit, because I had to spend more than my normal amount of hero points to beat down level 500+ god mode five stars, due to boosting and health packs.  

It allows people to try out partially covered newer 5 stars and not fully get slaughtered while doing it. 

• Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Yes, please explain
    I agree with Whitecat, I think it's a marketing ploy to build excitement around new releases by providing a false/inflated sense power.  If cars test drove faster before purchase imagine how they would affect sales.  Al-be-it a little morally grey (and there's no return policy)
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Other
    Yes they should be boosted, but the boost should be deminishing returns.

I think the intent is to allow those that get the new character to be able to try it out competitively, without sinking half a million ISO into them.

If that is the case, start the scale at 90 levels, but taper it off until the final end is 15-25 levels of boost at (base level) 450+.

This would still allow that "try it before you buy it" (invest ISO), while not making those that fullying covered the newbie to be way overpowered.

Full Disclosure: I'm one of those walking around with a 550 Okoye... it's a bit much... seriously.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Yes, please explain
    Thinking about this a bit more,  beyond the excitement of a new character.  I feel very letdown in the transition from god mode to normal mode.  I think it's a real detriment to the character who's been plowing through matches to suddenly sit on the shelf.  

Maybe a decreasing buff over the god mode weeks would ease the transition and more gently modify play style. E.g -5% daily until you're "normal" again