5*s got accellerated. Any hope of a Jessica Jones feeder?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
We got two new 5*s much quicker than normal, this pushed out Ghost Rider and threatens to push out Jessica Jones faster than many (particularly me) can cover them.

Are there any plans in place to help us out with this, since she seems to have been in the tokens a lot less time than 5*s normally are.

Or...maybe I'm completely wrong and it just *feels* like less time.

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I’m pretty sure we’ll have a 4 next.  

You are correct that everyone before Okoye is getting 2 less weeks in tokens, although the Ant Man movie is a week after the regularly scheduled release date.  That would mitigate the shortfall a little.

Frustration:  this week was supposed to be a feeder week.  Instead we got Megadilution.

Time will tell when the next 5 is released.
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    It wouldn’t be too surprising to me if we got 4Cage feeding JJ around the time of Luke Cage S2 in lieu of a new character release for the show. 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    When the next MCU movie coming out? With any luck it won't be until we get a 5star Ant-Man, Wasp, Ghost or Enlarged Hello Kitty Pez Dispenser.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    Enlarged Hello Kitty Pez Dispenser.
    Please let this be a thing. 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Daiches said:
    It will be a support.  It will gets it's own release in a 500 item vault that has 499 2* tokens in it.  Still excited?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:

It'll be a support 83
  • bluewolf
    edited June 2018
    Btw, Luke Cage S2 is a couple weeks away, and they won’t make anyone a feeder of a Latest character since those are the primary whale targets. Maybe after JJ heads off to Classic jail, Luke will become a feeder.

Luke is coming up in the relatively near future as an essential (probably 4-5 months away) so maybe it’ll happen then.
  • craig88
    craig88 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    There is still the chance that, instead of having gone 5-4-4-5-4-4 as expected, they will go 5-4-5-4-4-4. This will give JJ the same amount of time as usual.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still think we are in for 5-5-4 as the new normal, and we will start seeing more feeders now that any one 4* is harder to get
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    bluewolf said:
    Btw, Luke Cage S2 is a couple weeks away, and they won’t make anyone a feeder of a Latest character since those are the primary whale targets. Maybe after JJ heads off to Classic jail, Luke will become a feeder.

Luke is coming up in the relatively near future as an essential (probably 4-5 months away) so maybe it’ll happen then.
    Yeah, good point. With the vaulting being completely done away with now I wouldn’t be surprised to see new 4’s released as 5* feeders from day one though. 
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Daiches said:
    When the next MCU movie coming out? With any luck it won't be until we get a 5star Ant-Man, Wasp, Ghost or Enlarged Hello Kitty Pez Dispenser.
    I hope they don't do another variant of Ant-man and Wasp but instead take this opportunity to introduce classic characters like Hank Pym or Goliath.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bzhai said:
    Daiches said:
    I hope they don't do another variant of Ant-man and Wasp but instead take this opportunity to introduce classic characters like Hank Pym or Goliath.
    Lol.  This game is built on variants, so yea, there will be more and more coming. 
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Daiches said:
    After Ant-Man and the Wasp, not until Captain Marvel next spring.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,792 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still think we are in for 5-5-4 as the new normal, and we will start seeing more feeders now that any one 4* is harder to get
    I'm hoping that's the case, the time is right. I'm not a spender on the game, I buy the min purchase for intercepts as a disclaimer for every one thinking I'm whaling new releases. I play PVE to progression and pvp to 900. Yet with current CP rates these days if I choose I can cover every latest 5. Many in my alliance do the same.

I don't feel personally that is how 5* should be covered, it's easier than the 4* tier currently. Game play such as mine with no spending should be a balancing act of choosing which ones you want to target to max cover or almost cover them and finish them off with feeders. People now think they have a right to 13 cover every latest without spending, they should have addressed that before we got to where we are. Now if they increase the 5* rate to start to balance up the tiers, this place melts down. The reality though is 5*s have to be increased and 4*s slowed down, the four star tier has been destroyed through dilution for new players and 99% ignored for 5* players.

Or they could just leave the 5* rate the same and slow down on the fours to give more breathing space but that's highly unlikely.

Reduce 4*s, increase the 5*s and double down on feeders. As much as we might not like it, that needs to happen with 25x5* and approaching 70*? So we are not far off 3x the fours stars.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they're going to speed up 5* releases, they need to increase the amount of CP/LTs and the rates players can get them. Right now, the current rate is just about enough to cover a latest 5*, assuming that 5* is in Latests for 18 weeks. It's also possible to do so in 16 weeks, as in the case of Ghost Rider. But a 5-4-5-4 release schedule means a 5* will be in Latests for at most 12 weeks.
  • bluewolf
    @Tony_Foot
    You make a solid argument that it is fairly easy for high end players to cover a 5 in Latest.  However, I am in the same range as you and don't finish everyone.  The ones I do finish are often just barely getting covered.  Ghost Rider and Gambit are two that I came close on in the past 6-8 months but didn't complete.  So it's not a 100% done deal.  (On the other hand, my Thor is 458 and JJ is 454, so obviously some covers went elsewhere and it's just randomness at work.)

From the developer's point of view, I think that the people who aren't paying much but succeed by playing a lot is kind of a good thing.  There are a lot of players who fit that profile, and hearing that just sticking it out can get you to high end 5* play can be motivating.  High playing players with 5's are also good because they give the whales someone to dominate.

Doubling the rate of 5 releases would be somewhat acceptable for hoarders, who could still get a group of 5's, but would miss out on more of them along the way.  However, the play and pull crowd would suddenly have a bunch of half-covered 5's since you never know which covers you'd get and you'd have less time to complete them, and they'd probably just start giving up.  Honestly, I probably would.  (Just like I am worried the 4* players are looking at the new megadilution era we are entering.)

The majority of players are in the 3* or lower tier, and a lot of players are in the 4 tier.  Keeping the 4* hamster wheel spinning is a huge part of the "keep playing" model.  The 4's are interesting for those players, so that is where most of the development lies.  And someone who's playing will sometimes become someone who's paying.

The other portion of the $ made is the whales (most assume the majority of $) who of course chase 5's and ignore 4's (spending wise) by and large at this point, especially post-Gambit.  I think that the devs are leery of pushing them too hard with spending pressure because (at least some of) those whales probably have a budget, and doubling the rate of 5 releases would probably turn some of them off the game entirely. Their past spending level would no longer allow them to keep up with 5's and some (more than now) would likely look to find new games they could dominate or enjoy.

Does the current number of characters feel too large?  Unwieldy?  Yes, under current conditions.  But there's probably a different solution, or there isn't one and the game will just collapse eventually.  As many have predicted, but sometimes I wonder if we are now starting to get close with stories of players leaving for various reasons (new games to play that offer better team mechanics, Gambit's eternal domination, Supports being largely uninteresting for top end players).

A final thought:  A 5 is supposed to be a special thing and I assume the design work is reflected in that to some degree (at least what's put in).  Increasing that release schedule might result in more Doc Ock-level 5's, which would not be good for the game either.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    As long as you can get them to 7 covers at a reasonable distribution a feeder will can finish them off eventually.  Since neither are ground breaking it shouldn't hurt to bad.  It always stinks when they make unexpected changes that hurt your planning.  My least favorite aspect of the game.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've already come to the conclusion I will never be able to cover a current 5 before they are moved to classic obscurity 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I've already come to the conclusion I will never be able to cover a current 5 before they are moved to classic obscurity 
    Hoard. Sorry, but this is clearly how they want the game played considering availability and frequency.