Rishadan Port Activate Gems not stacking and not reducing the right mana bonus [Investigating]

Options
span_argoman
span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
Rishadan Port (RP) is currently bugged in two ways.

First bug is that the Activate gems aren't mapped to the right colour. I destroyed two Black and one Blue RP Activate gems using Koth's first ability and the opponent got a -2 on Green instead. I could still see the two Green RP Activate gems on the board.

The second bug is that the RP Activate gems don't stack. Out of the 10 Activate gems, regardless of how many you trigger only the the first one will give -2 to the opponent's mana bonus in one of the colours.

This applies to all RP Activate gems triggered in the same turn, across triggers from gem conversion at the start of turn, Koth's ability, and matches from an extra turn.

The bug is easily reproducible by using Rishadan Port in Koth.

---
I have screenshots of the test case above but they include the opponent's name so I'm not posting them here. Let me know who I should be sending them to.

//Edited Title -Brigby
Tagged:

Comments

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The way this card is worded, that second one might be intentional. It might just set their bonus to -2 for the color hit. The wording should be made clearer either way, but I think setting their bonus to -2 is stronger overall.
    Also, if the wrong color issue showed up late in the match it could be because activated gems set to a certain color will go on another color if there aren't any open gems of their color. Not very likely to give the results you saw, but possible if this was a one-time thing.
  • span_argoman
    Options
    DBJones said:
    The way this card is worded, that second one might be intentional. It might just set their bonus to -2 for the color hit. The wording should be made clearer either way, but I think setting their bonus to -2 is stronger overall.
    Also, if the wrong color issue showed up late in the match it could be because activated gems set to a certain color will go on another color if there aren't any open gems of their color. Not very likely to give the results you saw, but possible if this was a one-time thing.
    It doesn't set the colour bonus to -2, it deducts 2 from the planeswalker's current bonus. +4 becomes +2,+1 becomes -1 etc. And Activating 1 or 10 gems will only trigger -2 to a single colour. Ie. If you have matched a single RP Activate gem, the remaining 9 Activate gems are blank for the rest of the turn.

As for the swapping of gem colours, that could be possible. I did a match where the first Activate gem destroyed was Red and it did reduce the Red mana bonus. But there were quite a few cases of it being a different bonus too.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I was thinking that this support was too (or at least extremely) powerful if the effect could trigger up to ten times in a turn. On the other hand it is really disapointing if it can only trigger once per turn.
       I suppose it should be able to trigger several times up to a certain limit. Up to 3 times would be decent.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Even with green gem conversion, triggering enough to be overpowered is unlikely. Gem conversion is the only way you could get more than a few in a turn anyway. Though I haven't actually seen this card in play, my eternalize Gather the Pack deck occasionally creates a similar amount of activated gems, and it takes a long time to hit them all.
  • Bil
    Options
    Hmm i wouldnt be so sure actually ... I'm not thinking about matching the gems but destroying them. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to activate half of them with keral keep abbot, star of extinction or fall of the thran.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DBJones said:
    Even with green gem conversion, triggering enough to be overpowered is unlikely. Gem conversion is the only way you could get more than a few in a turn anyway. Though I haven't actually seen this card in play, my eternalize Gather the Pack deck occasionally creates a similar amount of activated gems, and it takes a long time to hit them all.
    Thran
    . Activate everything!
  • span_argoman
    Options
    @DBJones @Bil @Laeuftbeidir
    It's easiest to consistently trigger multiple Activates using Koth. He just isn't that commonly used in Standard cause he is mono-Red and most of the interesting Activates are in other colours.
  • Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Came to describe the same thing.

The first "bug" actually makes sense, and I'd actually regard it (and hope for it to be) an error in the description instead (should read by, instead of to). Few planeswalkers have much more than 2 as mana bonus in anything but, perhaps, their main colour, so "reducing" bonuses to 2 would be hardly applicable in the majority of cases, and little more than a slight inconvenience except for Koth on red (Elspeth can make do with her +3 on G/U).

The second behaviour definitely is a bug, though, as the activate effect of every other card I can think of actually stacks (with the obvious exception of embalm/eternalize, for logical reasons). If this were a deliberate attempt to cripple the usefulness of the card, it should at least be explicitly mentioned. And come on, it's a bloody masterpiece; it should have some bite! At least let it affect each of the colours once.
  • Bil
    Options
    Each of the colors once could be a good compromise. But a total of -4  to each color could be abused too much ...  it can literally make some walkers unable to get any mana, as there are many ways to destroy a ton of gems each turn actually.
  • Dologan
    Options
    It's not that easy to consistently activate ALL activated gems, though, certainly not without popping the support itself anyway. 
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Any chance of an acknowledgement that this is busted and needs fixing?  It’s a masterpiece, would be nice if it worked.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby

Do we have any updates on this? I completely agree with Dologan. This card is a Masterpiece, so it should present a significant advantage to the player using it, and challenge to the player facing it. Perhaps we'll see it addressed in 2.7.1?
  • Dologan
    Options
    2.7.1 is here and the card is still broken and pretty much useless. And it is definitely bugged, because the battle log says it's "triggered" when it doesn't. If only a single activate were supposed to be active at a time, it should a) say so on the description and b) make the other activated gems vanish when triggered (embalm/eternalized style)
  • Dologan
    Options
    2.8 and card still broken and useless, with the same misleading description. The title of this thread says investigating, but it is not mentioned on https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/61987/bug-status-list-updated-7-31-18

• Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Dologan said:
    2.8 and card still broken and useless, with the same misleading description. The title of this thread says investigating, but it is not mentioned on https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/61987/bug-status-list-updated-7-31-18

I use it in my Land.dec, but it seems to do nothing. No mana boni got decreased.

@Brigby: Any update on this?
  • ManiiNames
    Options
    Still busted.  
  • Matthew
    Options
    I know this thread is old, but I have to resurrect it. There's apparently a patch coming that will address a lot of bugs, so maybe bumping this will get it some attention.

Rishadan Port is still either not functioning correctly, or the wording on it is incorrect.
  • ManiiNames
    Options
    It’s a masterpiece.  It should be great, not a pile of tiny kitty.
  • Matthew
    Options
    Bumping again.
  • ManiiNames
    Options
    I lost hope.