Change a Variant?

JHawkInc
JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
The game has multiple variants of the same characters, letting them exist at multiple tiers (for game purposes) and to represent them across multiple points in their comic history. Different costumes (Storm, Cyclops), different identities (Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel), different equipment (Iron Man), different universes (the various MCU versions as compared to their comic counterparts), etc.

We talk time to time about adding new characters, as well as adding new variants of existing characters (while some people don't like seeing new variants, we still get regular requests for God Emporer Doom, as well).

But let's do something different, just for fun.

What if you could take a character in the game that already has multiple variants, and change one of them? Which one(s) would you drop, and what versions would you add in their place? Would you rather see Superior Iron Man instead of Model-40? A Hugh Jackman Wolverine instead of X-Force? Future Foundation Spider-Man instead of Bag-Man? Bonus: Would you drop a variant at one tier, in order to add one to another tier? (for example, dropping one of the 1*/2*/3* versions of Storm to add a 4*/5* version of her instead?)

Just kinda curious, hoping this would be a fun thing to talk about for a weekend, at least.

Comments

• Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    The obvious variant to drop is Bag-Man of course. FF Spider-Man has a neat costume but is otherwise just another Peter Parker. Then again I guess that’s the point.  I was going to suggest Scarlet Spider or Spider-Man 2099 but since they’re actually different people there would be no overlap. I’d like to see an actually good Bruce Banner/Hulk but that has to do less with variants than just not making bad characters. If I really had to choose to change just the variant I guess I’d want to swap 3* Angel for one of his more classic looks. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate the post-Black Vortex All-New X-Men Angel. I'd prefer either a classic Angel or a pre-Black Vortex All-New X-Men Angel.

Hobo Fist with absolutely any other version of Iron Fist, as Finn Jones is the most egregious casting choice in the MCU/Netflix Universe to date.

The Hulk (Totally Awesome) with Gray Hulk. 

Wolverine (Patch), as cool and stylish as he is, is less cool / original than Wolverine with bone claws.

And while I like the MCU version of Nick Fury, if we're only getting one Fury I'd like Fury MAX.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    I'd love a Hugh Jackman Wolverine, I can live with them reworking Xforce in order to do so. 
    I also want MCU Loki and they can kick that horrendous 3* version to the curb in order to do so, make Loki Hiddleston a 4*! 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,671 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Can I just change Iceman so he doesn't look like a naked minor?

If not, I will also say 3* Angel. I'm not totally familiar with the character, and if I just saw that art in a vacuum, I would probably guess it was a similar character from a different company. There's gotta be a more iconic/definitive version they could have chosen. 
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    For me it can only be Lady Loki. 
    The character had  potential for mischief on a massive scale but marvel ended it swiftly.

Thor getting Lady Loki pregnant would've been the mother of all crazy storylines.   :D

...and maybe Loki as the sorcerer supreme, he's just everywhere at marvel lately. Who'd a thought he'd be such a huge fan  favourite.   :)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me it can only be Lady Loki. 
    The character had huge potential for mischief on a massive scale but marvel ended it swiftly.

Thor getting Lady  Loki pregnant would have been the mother of all crazy storylines.   :D

...and maybe Loki as the sorcerer supreme, he's just everywhere at marvel lately. Who'd a thought he'd be such a huge fan  favourite.   :)
    Ugh, it really irked me that in that storyline Jane shows up to point out she wasn't buying the good guy act and he casually reveals he's able to see through illusions now, to the silent horror of Jane remembering that Stephen called her by name previously without having admitted to knowing who she was.

So it was well known that Loki was aware of Thor's secret identity.

And then they kill her off without doing anything with it.

Actually correction...they kill Thor off, the character I really liked. Jane's still around. Boo.
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    How about 5* Doc Ock being changed to Carnage Ock from the old Spiderman video game on PS1?

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,671 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about 5* Doc Ock being changed to Carnage Ock from the old Spiderman video game on PS1?

I think they called him Monster-Ock if I'm thinking of the same thing you are.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd replace one of the Spider-Men (not overly partial to any in particular) with one of Peter's alternate costumed identities from the Identity Crisis storyline - Hornet, Dusk, Ricochet or Prodigy. No particular reason other than I really liked that storyline and it would maybe open the door for Black Tarantula as a villain character.
  • Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    I would like to replace 3* thor with a 4* beta ray bill thor wielding storm breaker. Why, because 2 and 3* thor are the same exact card with stronger stats on 3*. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd change Black Suit Spider-Man.  I wouldn't make any changes to his powers: I'd just change the flavour text and maybe the comic cover to say it's actually Kraven wearing the costume.  That solves the problem of two mutually exclusive characters at the 5* tier.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,179 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd love to see more comic representations rather than MCU ones, although I know the latter are more well-known and thus have wider appeal.

5* Iron Man - Superior Iron Man
    5* Thor - Rune King Thor or Old King Thor
    5* BSSM - the actual Venom symbiote please. Not some rip-off replica suit
    5* Daredevil - Shadowland (the black suit)
    4* Iron Fist (white costume)
    4* X-23 - X-Force
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would elevate Lady Thor to 5* status because she's obviously the best Thor.
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    You gotta replace five star Thanos with Infinity War Thanos!  Give me Snap!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    1) Visually - any one of the Carols for classic Ms. Marvel (with the Moonstone costume).
    2) Let's just get rid of that useless 2-star Cap, shall we? Replace him with The Captain.
    3) 2-star Magneto. 5-star Magneto!
    4) I'd trade all three current Venoms for one good one.
    5) I'd trade all three current Banners for one good one.
    6) 2-star Johnny for 4-star Johnny makes more FF team combos.
    7) Do we really have 5 Black Widows now? I'm not even sure which one is definitive.
    8) I'm ready to trade back Iron Spider already... Peter Porker, anyone?
    9) Patch for classic Wolverine in his brown & yellows. Pick an Art Adams cover.
    10) 1-star Juggernaut for 5-star Juggernaut.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* Banner -> World War Hulk.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    As someone who likes comics more than the movies, there are quite a few.

Any Starlord - his Annihilation Conquest version.
    4* Iron Fist - classic 70's costume
    Teen Jean - 90's Jean
    4* Luke Cage - 70's Luke Cage
    Nova - Richard Rider OG or Annihilation 
    Ant-Man - Pym Ant-Man
    4* Iron Man or 3* Iron Man - classic red & gold or silver centurion
    Scarlet Witch - Really any costume that isn't that "homeless lady who feeds pigeons all day" look.

Not to mention little things like Quicksilver getting his old costume back. Black Suit Spidey actually having a symbiote and his powers reflecting that.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    I would like to see a 4* version of both Magneto and Storm. It's a shame that these two powerful mutants were locked up to the 3* tier... I would be very happy with an tier upgrade in the Classic ones, maybe improving both of their yellow skills.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,030 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Daken for 4* Sabretooth.
  • badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Drop 5* banner/hulk and replace him with the Maestro.