Simple PVP fix

Khanwulf
Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
Surely this has come up before:

Why not set the progression requirements to an OR? Each tier rewards at either the point value OR the number of wins? Track both. 

Then people can play with the style they are able to muster to the progression they want to put the time in for.

Ranking remains point-based.

Easy--new tech, but easy.

--Khanwulf

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Yes it's come up.  It was one of the most common sense fixes suggested to Wins Based PvP.  Along with it was the idea of taking making it all points based, but progression never goes down.  

My guess is that'a lot of extra coding work to make either of those happen and rather than take another risk on that working they abandoned it.  I hope it's still on their backlog for something to try someday, but I'm not holding my breath either.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    What's your suggestion for defensive loss? Do you receive both point and win loss?

MMR includes your point as well. So, how would your suggestion affects MMR? There are 4 possible combinations:

High no of wins, high no of points
    High no of wins, low no of points
    Low no of wins, high no of points
    Low no of wins, Low no of points
  • Khanwulf
    Wins is an independent threshold for advancing progression only, and as such does not decrease on a loss, though points would. Nor would wins factor into MMR--only points do so. 

Essentially there would be two means of play: for points, which generally take fewer plays than the win target to achieve a given progression tier, or for wins, which is slower and probably won't place a player at the same MMR rating (because you snipe easy teams, not easy teams+high point targets).

I'm glad something came up along these lines before, but yes it would involve some back-end tech changes to OR gate rewards, and that's obviously an investment decision.

My own experience, by the way, was that playing to 40 wins tended to push MMR points at least as high as with points, however the points got shaved down by retaliation and hits--but not as much as you might suppose since the participation pool increased markedly. Another un-addressed issue with win-based that simply not decreasing points would have as well is that it removes any incentive for shields, a major HP sink and thus incentive to purchase.

Offering players the ability to tune their preferred PVP focus at least retains that sink for those playing to points (including ranking).

Am looking forward to their next attempt at a fix, at least.

--Khanwulf 

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have a winner.
  • Khanwulf
    Hahah! The idea was not solely mine (as Broll points out), but I'll sleep with a smile dreaming that it could have made a difference!
  • greenglove
    greenglove Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    The only way to fix pvp is to have no lost points on a lost match that you weren’t even playing. I refuse to play pvp until they fix that. In addition they need to fix the matchups. It is not remotely fair for 420 and 435 lvl teams to be faced with exclusively champed teams.