PvP - Opponents Choices

Options
Punter1
Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
Outside of the retaliation matches - how does the game decide who to offer you as opponents in the PvP matches?

Just found these forums trying to understand the points system offered for wins and I understand the points are calculated based on your relative position to the opponent in the rankings.

I seem to be stuck getting offered 20ish point or less matches, with the odd one getting close to 25, it's rare to see anything much above this. From what I understand this means at best I'm playing people with a similar points total, but generally playing against those with less. I could understand this if I was top 10 or better as obviously there wouldn't be many people above me, but when I'm generally placed somewhere 50-100 I'd hope to get more point return from my matches.

For example in the simulator I'm rank 7300ish, so lots of room above, but my 3 non-retaliation options right now are worth 21, 21 & 18. It also hurts that these matches are against people with similar or better rosters, so it means even if I win, I offer an easier retaliation for more points for them since I'm above them in the ranking with a weaker team, and conversely the retaliation back for me is worth less - it's a vicious circle!

I'd much rather be risking my team playing a higher pointed stronger team for say 30 points, than looking at only a 20 point gain.

I know shields would play a part somewhat in that as the events near the end there is less players above you available, but again playing in the middle of the pack should still in theory offer plenty of options above to attack.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    They're called 'MMR bubbles'. Where as you progress up the ladder, you reach a point where MMR can't find any opponents 100-200 points above where you are. Either they are all shielded or they are further up the ladder than MMR allows you to reach. So, you will be faced with a bunch of opponents that are of similar or lesser point totals (granting you 19-25 points for a victory).

You have two options: 1) wait it out (shield) and hope that people progress past you and then you can attack them to pull yourself up to their level 2) Grind out 20 point victories in an attempt to get you to that 'next tier' of point totals where you may find new opponents that have 100-200 points more than you, so you can start grinding through 30-35 point wins.