Steam - changing machine - how to transfer game data [Solved]

Options
Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
Having a shiny new PC, I'm transferring all functionality over to it, but I'm keeping the old one as a download server because reasons.
Running Steam, it's recognised my account and all my games.  I start up MPQ.  It's at the very beginning.  I've played through the introduction, good grief it does go on, waiting for the point where I'm prompted to restore my game, but nothing.
As much fun as it is to start again from the beginning (zero) with 300 ISO and 39975 HP, I'd much rather keep my Wolveroach account.
How can I do that?

//Edited Title. Closing per OP's request -Brigby

Comments

• mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have no idea why this is happening - I run MPQ on two different machines, and as soon as I installed it on the second one it logged me in as, y'know, me.  As far as I know, the way I've been experiencing it is the way it's supposed to work.

I would email customer service directly about this.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Maybe you're using Steam Cloud to save your games.
    I've done some checking on the Steam website, and it's suggested that I copy the contents of the My Games folder in my Documents.  Which I'll try when I get home tonight.
    Doubtless there's some validation that what I have in my save files matches what's on the game's servers.  Wouldn't want the copy to accidentally grant me a level 550 Gambit.
    Edit #94: copying game saves didn't work, there aren't any, but exiting Steam on New, opening Steam on Old, enabling Steam Cloud, playing a few games, seeing it sync, exiting Steam, opening Steam on New, checking using Steam Cloud was still set, crossing fingers and starting MPQ, getting the option to save my current game to the cloud (NO!!!) or download from the cloud, oh yes please, and it's all fine.
    Why not use Steam Cloud from the beginning?  Because I distrust the cloud (aka just someone else's computer) and completely forgot about it until something reminded me of it.  In this case, I didn't really have much choice.
    Problem solved, thread can be closed.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Closing thread per OP's request
This discussion has been closed.