Putting Together an MPQ 'Action' Playlist....

TDejaAuthor
TDejaAuthor Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
Now that I've got Spotify linked up to my tablet, I'm able to finally boot that  repetitive background music to the game, and I want to put together a playlist for Match-3-ing....something composed of up-tempo, upbeat tunes....any suggestions?

Please note--I'm not a metal fan at all.  I'm much more into power pop/indie/ska.....

Comments

• badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    I like a nice mighty mighty bosstones - Catch 22 - reel big fish - less than jake - mix when I'm feeling 3rd wave ska, but my favorite MPQ music is a Seattle geek rock band called Kirby Krackle. Songs about video games, comic books, etc.
  • TDejaAuthor
    badsaj said:
    I like a nice mighty mighty bosstones - Catch 22 - reel big fish - less than jake - mix when I'm feeling 3rd wave ska, but my favorite MPQ music is a Seattle geek rock band called Kirby Krackle. Songs about video games, comic books, etc.
    I was thinking of some mid-period 'tones as part of the list....

I'm familiar with Kirby Krackle, but not that big a fan.  I do like geek rapper Adam Warrock a lot; I think he guested on one of their songs?
  • badsaj
      I do like geek rapper Adam Warrock a lot; I think he guested on one of their songs?
    Yeah, a song called "booty do math".
  • badsaj
    I was thinking of some mid-period 'tones as part of the list..

I can listen to the album "let's face it" all day.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I play the Avengers theme by Alan Silvestri from the movies on loop, lol. Every once in a while it lines up perfectly with something that happens in game!
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Get yourself a Tony Hawk Pro Skateboarder soundtrack or two, many a happy hour was spent pulling off gravity defying tricks to the punky offerings of number 2
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    CT1888 said:
    Get yourself a Tony Hawk Pro Skateboarder soundtrack or two, many a happy hour was spent pulling off gravity defying tricks to the punky offerings of number 2
    HERE I AM, GETTING OOOOLDER ALL THE TIME... man that soundtrack was great!

I think my top MPQ-soundtrack choice would be 90s Indie OGs Stereolab--a good mix of fast and punky + cool and jazzy, usually with a driving beat to fuel your taps and swipes. Spotify has a pretty complete discography for them, but you could also use this handy playlist I made for all 16 hours of Motorik Mayhem...
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    To all the ska suggestions, might I add MU330 - "Captain"
    A fun and silly song about Captain America.

Also, The Impossibles were dang fun.
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Anything by the Beat, The Specials (first album), Madness (one step beyond album), and Bad Manners

Yep, I like Ska.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero"
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would not have guessed a ska/MPQ crossover, but I am here for it.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    badsaj said:
    I probably wore out both of the reel big fish CD's i had...
  • TDejaAuthor

Yep, I like Ska.
    Who doesn't like ska?

Thanos.  That's who doesn't like ska.....
  • TDejaAuthor
    badsaj said:
    I can listen to the album "let's face it" all day.
    The song that was in my head for this was 'Jacknife to a Swain'....

Truth be told, that stretch from DON'T KNOW HOW TO PARTY through JACKNIFE TO A SWAIN is as good as it gets for the 'tones.
  • TDejaAuthor
    jackstar0 said:
    First song on the list right now, along with some Gaslight Anthem, Offspring, Hives, Foo Fighters, Alien Ant Farm.....

...and 'Jacknife to A Swain'.  May add 'I Want My City Back' later.

This is a work in progress.  Keep the suggestions coming!
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    jackstar0 said:
    First song on the list right now, along with some Gaslight Anthem, Offspring, Hives, Foo Fighters, Alien Ant Farm.....

I love the "Song that got renamed on every EP" by the Bosstones.  It was "Drunks and Children" on  Devil's Night Out then "Drugs and Kittens" on Don't Know How To Party (it is a live double shot with "I'll Drink to That") then it was called "Dogs and Chaplains" on Question the Answers.  Great ska-punk song with variations on the same intro (slow blues to hardcore punk).

But, if you are wanting some newer ska to listen to, check out the following on YouTube:
    - The Holophonics: Ska band that does some seriously tight music and great comedic stage/video performance.  They are known for their covers of pop tunes from the '60s thru current, but have originals as well.  They are the spiritual successors to the Aquabats.
    - Skameleon: German ska troupe that just loves what they do, and it shows in their music and videos.
    - Melbourne Ska Orchestra: Big-band ska from down under.  Do a lot of big band tunes from the 1920's-1960's in a ska format.
    - Party Like It's...: Washington D.C. based Ska band.  Their covers of Taylor Swift and Pitbull actually make the songs sond good.

I'd also recommend "nerd-rap".  Someone earlier mentioned Adam War-rock.  He has a bunch of good stuff on BandCamp.  Checkout his album You Dare to Call That Thing Human?.  He's got several Marvel based songs on there like "MLF (Mutant Liberation Front)" and "616".  In addition try out some of MC Lars "Uncanny (X-man TAS Theme feat. Beefy)", or MC Frontalot's "I'll Form the Head (voltron parody) feat. Zealous1 and Dr. Awkward".

Speaking of Dr. Awkward, his collaboration with StD (Schaffer the Darklord) on "Now Hiring" is about using Craig's List to find an arch-villain to his superhero persona.

And speaking of Schaffer the Darklord, his parody of Sabbath's Iron man, "I am the Tin Man" is phenomenal and his song "Supervillain" is a good mood piece when playing the PvE's where you fight heroes.

As for general cartoon/comic songs, try MC Chris's "Cartoons (w/ Dr. Awkward)" and Z-Trip's "Breakfast Club (feat. Murs and Supernatural)" are both about Saturday morning cartoons, which included X-man TAS, Spiderman and his Superfriends, etc...
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Anything by the Beat, The Specials (first album), Madness (one step beyond album), and Bad Manners

Yep, I like Ska.
    That's some mighty fine 2nd wave Ska choices.

CSB: I was a roadie/security for the Toasters a few years back on their east coast tour as it came through PA.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    abmoraz said:
    jackstar0 said:

I love the "Song that got renamed on every EP" by the Bosstones.  It was "Drunks and Children" on  Devil's Night Out then "Drugs and Kittens" on Don't Know How To Party (it is a live double shot with "I'll Drink to That") then it was called "Dogs and Chaplains" on Question the Answers.  Great ska-punk song with variations on the same intro (slow blues to hardcore punk).

But, if you are wanting some newer ska to listen to, check out the following on YouTube:
    - The Holophonics: Ska band that does some seriously tight music and great comedic stage/video performance.  They are known for their covers of pop tunes from the '60s thru current, but have originals as well.  They are the spiritual successors to the Aquabats.
    - Skameleon: German ska troupe that just loves what they do, and it shows in their music and videos.
    - Melbourne Ska Orchestra: Big-band ska from down under.  Do a lot of big band tunes from the 1920's-1960's in a ska format.
    - Party Like It's...: Washington D.C. based Ska band.  Their covers of Taylor Swift and Pitbull actually make the songs sond good.

I'd also recommend "nerd-rap".  Someone earlier mentioned Adam War-rock.  He has a bunch of good stuff on BandCamp.  Checkout his album You Dare to Call That Thing Human?.  He's got several Marvel based songs on there like "MLF (Mutant Liberation Front)" and "616".  In addition try out some of MC Lars "Uncanny (X-man TAS Theme feat. Beefy)", or MC Frontalot's "I'll Form the Head (voltron parody) feat. Zealous1 and Dr. Awkward".

Speaking of Dr. Awkward, his collaboration with StD (Schaffer the Darklord) on "Now Hiring" is about using Craig's List to find an arch-villain to his superhero persona.

And speaking of Schaffer the Darklord, his parody of Sabbath's Iron man, "I am the Tin Man" is phenomenal and his song "Supervillain" is a good mood piece when playing the PvE's where you fight heroes.

As for general cartoon/comic songs, try MC Chris's "Cartoons (w/ Dr. Awkward)" and Z-Trip's "Breakfast Club (feat. Murs and Supernatural)" are both about Saturday morning cartoons, which included X-man TAS, Spiderman and his Superfriends, etc...
    StD is so awesome as a live performer, i loved the tour he did recently with Lars, frontalot and mega ran
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Petitioning a mod to rename this thread "I Heart Ska And So Should You."
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2018
    Jarvind said:
    Petitioning a mod to rename this thread "I Heart Ska And So Should You."
    I see what you did there.