5* Too Soon Dilemma

Options
2»

Comments

• dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I too wish there was some communication whether or not this will be the new normal. I have no 5* champs but Ghost Rider recently became my 7th 5* at 13 covers. I have been waiting until I was reasonably finished with the 4* tier to start champing 5*s. I am now very close to being there but needing Iso for rebuilding 3*s is throwing a monkey wrench into my Iso plans.

I have five unchamped 4*s left right now. Only Deadpool (my last unchamped classic) is at 13 covers. When I pulled a mini hoard when Archangel left Latest tokens it took about 80 pulls to get the 5 covers I needed to get 13 for Ghost Rider, in those 80 pulls 4* Black Panther went from 11 covers to 12. 

I have been able to cover with increasing ease the latest 5*s while they were in the pool since Daredevil. Jessica Jones has 10 and LumberCap has 6 so I'm on my way with them as well but if the 5* releases are sped up I don't know if I'll be able to cover new ones before they enter horrible classic dilution.

If they do intend to speed the introduction of 5*s they need to increase the odds of getting the covers to compensate. They also need to increase Iso gain to make up for the 5*s being so expensive to champ.

I would love some communication on this.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JSP869 said:

And then...they'll nerf him. I'll finally have my first 5* and it will be Gambit, and they'll nerf him. Don't worry, I'll let you all know when that happens ;)
    I feel ya.  I've been playing this game forever, and I remember finally covering and champing XF Wolvie, and then they nerfed him... ugh, I am trying to stay out of 5* as long as I can.  
  • Nonpoint87
    Nonpoint87 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Surely the more frequent 5* releases would mean more then 3 latest, maybe make it 4 or 5 so they stop in longer, or just go ahead and make it half of what the 4* latest is 
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Surely the more frequent 5* releases would mean more then 3 latest, maybe make it 4 or 5 so they stop in longer, or just go ahead and make it half of what the 4* latest is 
    please no.  Less dilution is the reason Latests are good
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    please no.  Less dilution is the reason Latests are good
    They could be generous and keep each 5* at 5% and up the overall % to cater for more 5* in latest token. 25% with 5 would be nice. Would also help classics if they up the overall % to match too. Maybe bump up the price slightly, 30/25cp
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don’t mind a quicker 5* release schedule, because 4*s are useless and there’s way too many of them. But then you have to make it easier to cover them before the rotate out of Latest.  I think they have to increase the rate to 25%. You know they’ve been thinking about it, since we got 2 different tokens with bugged 25% chances.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Orion said:
    I don’t mind a quicker 5* release schedule, because 4*s are useless and there’s way too many of them. But then you have to make it easier to cover them before the rotate out of Latest.  I think they have to increase the rate to 25%. You know they’ve been thinking about it, since we got 2 different tokens with bugged 25% chances.
    I disagree with your claim that 4* characters are useless. It's a fun level to play at, with lots of good team combinations. What do you get at 5* level? A million Gambits.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I feel it is worth pointing out that the pattern we all accept - 4/4/5 - has never - not once - been stated as the developer’s plan or in any way acknowledged.  It is simply what we the players have observed over these many years of following that pattern.

The devs do what they want in terms of releases.  Sometimes we skip a release in a two week window (it’s happened).  Sometimes a release is a week off due to a movie release, etc.

So no one should expect a communication about an accelerated or altered release pattern, if it is indeed changing long term and not just a changed pattern in the short term.

Considering that BP was the most successful single hero Marvel movie, the lack of a 5* seemed odd to begin with.  So adding one around the blu ray release makes a lot of sense.

I would guess that if the Blu ray had released on 5/29, Okoye would have been a new 5* on 5/31 and no one would be even thinking the pattern is being permanently changed after one bumped up 5.  (Thanks, Marvel Studios!)

As has been pointed out before, it is entirely possible we have 3 4’s in a row after this.  The next movie, Ant Man and Wasp, releases 7/5 and is the LAST Marvel movie of 2018.  There are already 4* versions of both Ant-Man and Wasp.  A 5* seems very likely.  I think we can assume the developers are obligated to release a new character around all the movies, so something is coming.

So, we have Okoye on May 17.  Iron Spider on May 31 (thanks to Hollywood Reporter, this is known).

The next two dates (on the two week cycle) are 6/14 and 6/28, and one week later is Ant-Man and Wasp in theaters on July 5.

I don’t know what to do precisely with the fact that Luke Cage season 2 is June 22, but maybe they bump up a 4* to 6/21 and then we have a 5 two weeks later.

And perhaps we get a 5* Luke Cage, but we all screamed for JJ for a long time before finally getting her.  Releasing two 5’s a week apart would probably break the forum anyway.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I noticed that some players are jittery or reactive when what they didn't expect to happen, happens. I believe 80-90% of the playerbase are able to do well without depending on insider news or needing to know what happens weeks in advance. This is something that amazes me in this forum. Many are trying to predict patterns whereas most of the players simply play the game.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I noticed that some players are jittery or reactive when what they didn't expect to happen, happens. I believe 80-90% of the playerbase are able to do well without depending on insider news or needing to know what happens weeks in advance. This is something that amazes me in this forum. Many are trying to predict patterns whereas most of the players simply play the game.
    Having advanced knowledge might effect some portion of hoarders. But 5* characters rotating out from Legendary Latest tokens faster than usual, with or without knowing ahead of time, effects everyone trying to get 5* characters.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    “Most” of the players don’t pay attention to 5* rotation cycles.  And that same group of players probably doesn’t have 5’s and won’t be covering future 5’s.  You either have to hoard for a long time or play obsessively to cover 5’s.  Those people care.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm not going to assume we have shifted to 4/5/4/5 as the pattern unless we see a 5* in four weeks. But something I realized is that if they have indeed changed the pattern, they need to increase the feeder update schedule as well or it will never gain ground on 5*s without a feeder. (Which they may have already done based on 4/5 Black Panther.)

Either way, I guess we will see early next week if there is an extra feeder like 4BP was last season.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Something you may want to keep in mind is that 5* GR will be featured again in a 5* character debut legendary store at some point in the future.

And then of course there is the potential 5* feeder.

Depending on what your current build is, it may be more advantageous to wait for those future opportunities.
    I don't know what his GR cover spread was, but there is a huge caveat for that: They only allow swaps on LLs, so if he gets stuck with a color at 5, he'd need to break the bank to get the other colors to champ it then and there, or let it go to waste
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Spoit said:
    Something you may want to keep in mind is that 5* GR will be featured again in a 5* character debut legendary store at some point in the future.

And then of course there is the potential 5* feeder.

Depending on what your current build is, it may be more advantageous to wait for those future opportunities.
    I don't know what his GR cover spread was, but there is a huge caveat for that: They only allow swaps on LLs, so if he gets stuck with a color at 5, he'd need to break the bank to get the other colors to champ it then and there, or let it go to waste
    True! Ideally a player wants a relative even distribution so 4/4/4 or 4/3/4 or 4/4/3 or 3/4/4 are all ideal. For

However, if they continue with the current 5* feeder pattern then you can also assume that a 3/3/5 or 3/4/5 or 4/3/5 or 2/4/4/ or 4/4/2 build will be safe as well.

If you have the patience for it : 2/3/3 or 1/3/3 or 3/4/2 or 3/3/2 or 3/3/1 are all good builds for feeders.

But you are right, a player has to consider carefully if they want to take the risk or play it safe while swaps are still available to them.