Android Pie (no longer in beta) [Fixed in R160]

Options
jackstar0
jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2018 in MPQ Bugs and Technical Issues
Just wanted to share that I opted in to the beta this time around on my Pixel XL and MPQ worked just fine. I'm now opting in with my P2XL and will report (hopefully) similar success.

I bought both of these used, so don't assume that my level of google weirdness extends to spending thousands of dollars on their phones. It does not.

And may all your cascades create crits.

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• jackstar0
    Options
    Works just fine on the 2XL as well, if anyone in interested.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    Following up here to say that since the latest push out of Android P beta the game works fine, but basically anytime it is not the focus of my phone's attention, it will need to be force quit and restarted.

Not sure where the breakdown is happening (game side or Android side) but it only started with the most recent update to the beta.
  • jackstar0
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm going to do more testing, but it looks like today was the day this got fixed... so that timing is interesting.

EDIT: And of course I spoke too soon. Crash followed shortly after posting this.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    I am updating to the PPP4 build right now. I'm hopeful this will bring back stability to the game. Will update as soon as I can test.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    So far, it seems like stability it back. If the game loses focus it will re-start itself rather than crashing. I might not know the full experience at this point, but so far, so good.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    I'd say it's about 75% stable. I'm getting an occasional crash, though they are far less frequent than they were.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    Yeah, it seems to be down a bit. Inching closer to 50% stability with more frequent crashes again.

I know there's a few months until P rolls out for real, but hopefully this helps you all be ready for it.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    Ugh. Got a mid-match crash when I needed to put down my phone for a moment to do actual work.

Latest patch has not stabilized things.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    Just following up as I'm on the "final" pre-release build and the game still crashes fairly consistently when it loses focus. Not sure if it has to do with the new gesture-based focus or what... but it's still frustrating to have to force quit and restart or wait for it to prompt the close app option.

Hopefully it is sorted by the time of the proper release of this version of the OS.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Just as an FYI, I wanted to let you know that the team is aware of this beta build, and I already passed along this thread for their reference. 

Thanks for testing out the game on the beta build!
  • jackstar0
    Options
    @Brigby
    Thanks for confirming. I believe this is now the live build for Pixel phones and some others, too, so hopefully these issues are sorted out (or only on my phone, but I'd find that really weird).

If the team has any requests of me, I'm happy to do some superficial QA work.
  • Wetzilla
    Wetzilla Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is also occurring for me on my Pixel 2 XL, and Android 9 Pie is no longer in beta. It has now been officially released for both Pixel phones and Essential phones.
  • jackstar0
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm both glad it's not just me, and also sad that it's not just me.
  • Wetzilla
    Options
    Lol, support closed my ticket claiming that my issue was just the phone killing the app when it gets low on resources. Great job guys. As a former mobile game QA engineer, making sure your app works on the latest versions of mobile OSes should be a top priority. Guess I won't be able to play MPQ regularly any time soon.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    I've noticed that since the formal rollout of Pie, my game has been a bit more stable, but not 100% yet.

Hopefully they continue to look around.

I can assure them that my flagship phone is not low on resources. I run only a small handful of apps as it is and most are much lower impact on my resources than MPQ.
  • Wetzilla
    Options
    Yeah, and these problems didn't appear until I updated my phone. It's definitely not low resources killing the app. Customer Service just doesn't want to deal with this issue.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    Just had it crash again on me.

I really hope they can devote a little time/effort to fixing this. Google plans to have 9 on a lot of phones soon...
  • generic_username_8
    generic_username_8 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Can confirm on repeated crashing upon leaving the app and returning pixel 2 (not xl) after updating to Android pie this morning. 
  • jackstar0
    Options
    @Brigby
    Can we get another update on this? It's not Beta now, it's the real Android 9 and we're still getting regular crashes.
  • Killa_Bees
    Killa_Bees Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I downloaded the Android Pie update, not as a beta, but when it was pushed out to my Pixel 2XL by google.  My MPQ experience has been horrid ever since.  I am still hanging whenever I lock my phone and then unlock it.  The only way that I've found to get around this is to go to the Settings and choose Help.  Then I'm taken to a help screen, and I am able to successfully come back to the game after unlocking my phone.

I entered a ticket and was told that this is a known issue.  I see this post goes back to June.  This seems like a pretty serious issue, yet it didn't make the "Current Known Issues" on the help page, and it's been well over a month since this issue was raised.

I'd really like to hear whether there is a fix on the horizon, or at least some status regarding the issue.