New Terms of Service

0_efx_0
0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
Did anybody read? Can someone explain for a lazy person?

Comments

• tchipley
    tchipley Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Go to your profile and update with your birthday to verify your age.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've just turned 18 this year.  It must be true, it's verified.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was wondering what GDPR is, since the acronym was never expanded in the announcement.  It seems to be the European General Data Protection Regulation:

https://www.eugdpr.org/

Among other things, it requires parental consent to process data about people under 16 years of age.  Breaches can result in fines for "4% of annual global turnover or €20 Million", so it is kind of a big deal for them to get this right if they want to do business in Europe.

They shouldn't need to know your full date of birth to be in compliance though: I'd think that having you assert that you are over the age where parental consent is required would be enough.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

This was mentioned on Slashdot, where all hip and groovy 18-year-olds who can correctly hyphenate hang out.  At least D3 aren't going this route:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/05/07/1056215/new-service-blocks-eu-users-so-companies-can-save-thousands-on-gdpr-compliance#comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    It's simply rules for all companies (all over the world) managing and using data of EU residents and the penalties for breaches or failure to comply with the regulation.
  • HoundofShadow
    What are the "more information" that you are referring to?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Our dates of birth, I assume.

It's quite all right to collect that data under GDPR as long as there is a clear purpose to the Collection, which there is in this case. It requires you to keep track of what data you collect, why you collect it, and where it is kept.

• HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    That?

The age of an individual is based on the date of birth, not the year of birth. So, if they go with asking for only year of birth, they are opening themselves up for many opportunities of lawsuits. So, it's understandable. 

Falsifying info by the user is another matter though.

Anyway, GDPR kicks in on 25th May. 
  • Quebbster
    That?

The age of an individual is based on the date of birth, not the year of birth. So, if they go with asking for only year of birth, they are opening themselves up for many opportunities of lawsuits. So, it's understandable. 

Falsifying info by the user is another matter though.

Anyway, GDPR kicks in on 25th May. 

I just tried to enter my year of birth only, it wasn't accepted. You need to enter the entire date of birth.

And yes, by May 25th Everything needs to be in order, so it's not strange they set the deadline Before then.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they relied upon year of birth only then someone who was born in that year but does not turn 18 until after their registration would fall foul of the regulations even though they were technically supplying accurate information.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    If we are going 18 and above here I no longer want to hear one syllable from the mods about cursing or adult language.
  • DAZ0273
    snlf25 said:
    If we are going 18 and above here I no longer want to hear one syllable from the mods about cursing or adult language.
    Just because Data Protection rules mean they have to confirm age doesn't mean they will take a different stance on language used on the official forum.
  • Quebbster
    edited May 2018
    snlf25 said:

I assume being 18 or older only applies if you want to post. Minors should still be able to read the forum without logging in. So yeah, don't hold your breath waiting for permission to curse up a storm.
  • jamesh
    Quebbster said:

It's quite all right to collect that data under GDPR as long as there is a clear purpose to the Collection, which there is in this case. It requires you to keep track of what data you collect, why you collect it, and where it is kept.

If they're willing to accept a user's date of birth without verification, then it offers no more assurance than directly asking whether the user is 18 years or older.  So why not ask the question directly?

If they don't have unnecessary information on file, then they can't misuse it.
  • DAZ0273
    Quebbster said:
    snlf25 said:

I assume being 18 or older only applies if you want to post. Minors should still be able to read the forum without logging in. So yeah, don't hold your breath waiting for permission to curse up a storm.
    A no swearing policy wouldn't just be tied into an age policy.

This is an official forum that D3 use to promote the game (some might say not as well as they could but that is another argument) and allowing uncensored language might be considered offputting to anyone potentially interested in the game. Not everyone has the same level of tolerance for such things, so safety first.
  • DAZ0273
    jamesh said:
    Quebbster said:

If they're willing to accept a user's date of birth without verification, then it offers no more assurance than directly asking whether the user is 18 years or older.  So why not ask the question directly?

Data Protection Laws require "Special" handling of data for minors but in reality on the internet, this is practically impossible to do. There are of course a gazillion ways around this but all D3Go have to demonstrate is that they are not knowingly processing data of an under 18 age user. As an under 18 user cannot give their own consent, if they willfully decieve D3Go then D3Go can say "Hey we don't allow under 18's to use our site!" and point to a breach of terms of service and remove the user and not fall foul of the regulations.
  • jamesh
    DAZ0273 said:
    jamesh said:
    Quebbster said:

Data Protection Laws require "Special" handling of data for minors but in reality on the internet, this is practically impossible to do. There are of course a gazillion ways around this but all D3Go have to demonstrate is that they are not knowingly processing data of an under 18 age user. As an under 18 user cannot give their own consent, if they willfully decieve D3Go then D3Go can say "Hey we don't allow under 18's to use our site!" and point to a breach of terms of service and remove the user and not fall foul of the regulations.
    Right: there's basically two standards the a service can go by:
    1. take the user at their word.
    2. verify the information the user provides, possibly via a third party (e.g. ask to see government ID)

My point is that if you're doing (1), you've got no more assurance that the user is really over 18 than if you simply asked them that question directly.  And asking the question directly has the benefit that they don't need to store a piece of information that could be used for identity theft.

• DAZ0273
    jamesh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    jamesh said:
    Quebbster said:

Right: there's basically two standards the a service can go by:
    1. take the user at their word.
    2. verify the information the user provides, possibly via a third party (e.g. ask to see government ID)

My point is that if you're doing (1), you've got no more assurance that the user is really over 18 than if you simply asked them that question directly.  And asking the question directly has the benefit that they don't need to store a piece of information that could be used for identity theft.

They aren't really asking for an assurance, they are saying "If you told us a lie - we ain't liable!". Whatever the simplest method of complying is = solution that will be taken. In this instance it is - wanna use our website, then consent to us holding specific data to help us comply with these new obligations. It isn't even like they will verify correct dates of birth for those who are over 18, which would open up a whole new can of worms as aesthetocyst points to above.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Ok i must be daft, is there a way to update your info from the mobile page cuz I don't see it in the profile option