Lag receiving incoming hit notification (Versus events)

BearVenger
BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
In the last month or so, it seems that it takes about five minutes or more to receive notification that I've taken hits in Versus events, notably minutes after I've purchased a shield. While I've experienced a little bit of lag since the inception of modern Versus events, this lag has gotten really laggy.

It presents the following issues:
- It makes me question how legit the shield timing is.
- It makes me question how legit the scoring it. I've gone from a 1200+ score displaying in the event screen when I shield (and no CP award) to a hit popup, then to a 1086 score.
- I'll shield, wait a few minutes, then line up opponents for the next hop. I'll get the hit message and then my opponents will be replaced by lower-scoring guys who've attacked me. Not fun.

So, like I said, this delayed notification is really frustrating with timing and fouls up my opponent queue. Can this be tightened up?

Comments

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    This has come up many times before.  I posted a detailed breakdown of how client-server and push/pull notifications as they pertain to MPQ here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/726398#Comment_726398

It probably doesn't help you in any way (and it's one of the myriad of reasons I quite competitive PvP over a year ago), but at least it will help you understand why it happens.

I've been told by people in the forums that backing out of the PvP node, then going back in and clicking on the "rankings" in the upper right to verify your score, then backing out to the PvP screen again and THEN buying the shield helps.  Supposedly that forces a sync with the server's messaging queue and you should know if you have some losses on the server already that just haven't been pushed down.  However, there are still those few seconds while you are doing all that in which a loss can come in, so it's not perfect.

/asynchronous processes: faster, more efficient, but can be frustrating