5* BH for the hoard?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Here's a question for the hoarders out there, and judging from comments on these forums it sounds as though a lot of you dipped into those hoards yesterday (fun!  :) ) when the bearded one entered Latest Legends.

When you cash in all or part of your hoard, what is your 5-star Bonus Hero strategy? For example, do you set it as one of the latest three for better odds at fully covering one? Do you pick a classic? Is your BH always Gambit? Does it depend?

Comments

• Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I didn't have a large hoard (after rewards I pulled roughly 45 tokens) but I always have my BH set to Gambit since he's still not fully covered.  Until that happens there's not point in worrying about anybody else to me lol.  I was lucky enough to snag at least 1 BH Gambit too
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    336 pulls. 16 4* bonus heroes, originally had Medusa to get Bolt covers.  I got a bolt 5*bh to get him to 13 covers so switched 4* to kingpin to get my DD fatter.  Once i got KP to 280, switched 4* to grocket (because fat grocket is good!)  Got 2 5*bh.  My other 5* was Strange.  He's now 1/2/4.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

I noted that Peggy Carter was the Placement award for the current PVE, I remembered that they usually announce a feeder around now, and deduced that Peggy was going to feed First Avenger Cap.  Since my Peggy was 312 (and my 5* cap is 5/2/2) I set her my sole 4* BH.  I figured even if I'm wrong, she's good enough to justify a few levels at least.

A correct deduction, as it turns out.  I ended up with 6 Peggy levels from my 55 draw hoard - 5 BH and one straight from a token.  If I buy the HfH I'll get her over 320.  If I do it today I'll get a bonus LT too...

• gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I'm not a hoarder, but for my 5* BH, I tend to go with a latest 5 so I can finish them in time and take advantage of swaps.  My Gambit is champed, and while he does get used all the time, more covers for him aren't exciting.  The only classic that I could BH without worrying about a wasted cover would be Doc Ock, and that isn't happening.  Right now, it's Jessica, and when I finish her, I'll most likely swap for whoever is in the latest trio that I like the most or has the fewest covers.  Sometimes I also switch to the newest once they enter tokens to try and get a cover of them as soon as possible for the essential nodes.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, I noticed I didn't really answer the question - I assumed it was about the hoard. :)  I generally like setting a BH out of the latest, to make sure I cover them, otherwise I set a Classic that I don't have a 5 in any color (just GG or IM46 at this point,) so as to make sure I don't waste it.  Right now I have Jessica, as I kind of like her.  If I get past 8 covers or so before the new 5* is in, I'll probably switch to the new Cap.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    My Thor and Gambit are both 4/4/4, so I have them favorited. Also have Ghost Rider as bh since he's only at 6 covers and the next in line to leave.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    No reason to have more than one 5* BH set.  They are so infrequent, just pick the one you want the most.  

Personally, I chose gambit since no 5* cover or champ level is worth more than him(until he gets nerfed).
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    For me, it depends on the size of the hoard.

If I am reasonably certain that (statistically speaking) I will be able to cover all the LL 5*s with tokens and CP, I set my BH to a desirable Classic 5* that I don't have covered yet.

If I am concerned that I will be cutting it close in terms of getting all of LL covered, I set my BH to the most desirable character in the LL pool at that time.
  • roderic1
    roderic1 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    B.H.O.U.S.'s?  I don't think they exist....

Once pulled a horde of 224 (day before Hawkeye, Thanos, BP changed).  Plenty of 4* BH's, not a single 5* BH.  In more than 490 pulls that were eligible for 5* BH's, I've gotten 0 5* BH.  Oh well...

Currently, I have OML set as my only 5* BH as I'm going all in on finishing him.  So I currently have 3*, 4*, 5* Wolvie BH'd to try to build a complete OML from the current 4 covers I have.  Once I've done that, I'll call it a day with MPQ.  

I only have 134,075 2*'s, 6,385 3*'s, or 170 4*'s left to complete that goal.  
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    roderic1 said:
    I only have 134,075 2*'s, 6,385 3*'s, or 170 4*'s left to complete that goal.  
    The twos should go pretty quick, based on most vaults. :pensive:
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Depends on your roster and the size of your hoard.  If this is your first hoard and these will be your first three 5* champs - then you should probably pick the best of the 3 (JJ probably?) to add an extra couple levels on.  Or if you are worried about covering them all, maybe you pick the oldest one in there (GR) since you'll have more time to cover the other two.

I think in virtually every other scenario I can think of though you should probably keep Gambit as your 5* BH.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I thought long and hard about who to BH at 5*, even created a poll in my alliance chat, and then of course got none.  Your strategy for your 4* BH is probably more important, whether that is to get someone to high level, move up a 5* feeder or to create more CP and LT's.

The concensus in my alliance poll was Gambit.  However I despise the Gambit meta so ignored this advice and initially made a classic character at 12 covers my BH, then switched to HoboCap once it was clear I was running poorly enough that I wasn't going to fully cover him without a BH or two.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i have dr strange set. i can cover/champ the latest 5*. i no longer pull classics, so covering the older 5* that are undercovered has to be done in other ways.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always go with one of the latests, whoever is not champed and leaving next. Feels like worth more (25cp cost vs 20cp), plus I absolutely want to ensure they are all safe and champed before they are banished into classic limbo.