Infinity war tie in

Merrick
Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler

For the biggest Marvel movie ever, Marvel puzzle quest, an officially licensed Marvel game, got a rerun of an old boss event, a handful of new supports, and a couple of new characters (& that’s not special, we get new characters every other week).

Even games that had no ties with Marvel have done a better job at cashing in on infinity war. Fortnite just released an infinity gauntlet and a playable Thanos character. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/fortnite/2018/5/8/17330182/fortnite-infinity-gauntlet-thanos-avengers-infinity-war-event

It’s really sad that a non-marvel game was able to create more buzz over infinity war than an actual Marvel game.  Opportunity severely wasted. 

Comments

• gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I played a couple of matches in Fortnite this morning, Thanos mode is great!
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Most of us have shared our disappointments to the lack of Infinity War tie in from MPQ in many other threads. Like you mentioned before 3 characters released for the movie is par for the course, since this is what we get any way every 2 weeks a new character is released. This would of been more exiting if the new characters weren't other versions of existing characters. Seriously how many Black Widows, Captain Americas, or even Spider-mans do we need in this game. Not to mention the 300 item vault to "Celebrate" Supports and the movie, which was full of 2*'s. Add the Infinity Stone supports that only .001% of the player base can earn and that sums up why players are so disappointed and angry at the way the Infinity War movie tie in and the way the initial roll out of supports in general have been mishandled. So much potential wasted.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Marvel license aside, its hard to compare the biggest game in the world to a relatively unknown mobile game.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    You got a few new supports and some free tokens to a vault with a 99.99% chance at pulling 2* covers.  What more do you want?  Stop being greedy
  • Talestummy
    Talestummy Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Come over to marvel strike force. Lots of thanos fun
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah - even a slight tweak to some existing modes would have been better than what we got. 

For instance, they could have brought back the Gauntlet ('member that mode?) to be Thanos/IW themed where you fight with and against the IW cast - with the final prize being either something nice (5* Thanos cover) or something new (an Infinity Gauntlet support or whatever).  I mean, something like that would have taken minimal time to code (and it's not like they didn't know IW was coming) and while it's not perfect, at least it's something.

As it stands, there was definitely less done for IW than for the last 3 movies (Black Panther, Thor:Ragnorok and GOTG2).  And that seems odd.

I'm not sure what happened (I suspect there was an issue and perhaps whatever was new just didn't work or wasn't ready), but it's safe to say that D3 probably isn't happy with what Demiurge came up with, and I wonder if Marvel is all that happy either (though granted they are still busy counting the money from the actual IW movie release).

• Shintok17
    Yeah - even a slight tweak to some existing modes would have been better than what we got. 

For instance, they could have brought back the Gauntlet ('member that mode?) to be Thanos/IW themed where you fight with and against the IW cast - with the final prize being either something nice (5* Thanos cover) or something new (an Infinity Gauntlet support or whatever).  I mean, something like that would have taken minimal time to code (and it's not like they didn't know IW was coming) and while it's not perfect, at least it's something.

As it stands, there was definitely less done for IW than for the last 3 movies (Black Panther, Thor:Ragnorok and GOTG2).  And that seems odd.

I'm not sure what happened (I suspect there was an issue and perhaps whatever was new just didn't work or wasn't ready), but it's safe to say that D3 probably isn't happy with what Demiurge came up with, and I wonder if Marvel is all that happy either (though granted they are still busy counting the money from the actual IW movie release).

You know what happened they spent so much damn time on the catastrophe that is Supports that the Infinity War tie in was an afterthought. Look at how they did not give us free tokens for the 300 item vault until the second day the information of the Infinity War tie in was released and they saw our complaints on it. All those free tokens was a mad dash to put out the fires not an intended "Gift" as they called it. If it was planned it would of been part of the release info on the day off and not the next day. 
  • LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    You know what the saddest part to me is? Fortnite has a much more fun and exciting tie-in that MPQ 😂😂 Freaking Fortnite
  • Shintok17
    You know what the saddest part to me is? Fortnite has a much more fun and exciting tie-in that MPQ 😂😂 Freaking Fortnite
    A non-Marvel created or ever affiliated until now game. Wow.  :'(
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    On the one hand, I get it. People aren't happy with the IW promo material that MPQ received.

On the other hand, Fortnite got a playable Thanos with various Infinity Stone related abilities.

MPQ got a playable Thanos for Christmas of 2016, and a boss version with Infinity Stone powers in May of 2017. What exactly did you want them to add?

People are getting bent out of shape because Fortnite got stuff we've had for years, because they got it as promo material for IW and we... didn't? I'm not even sure how this is comparable, because I'm not sure what MPQ is supposed to get to be equal to Fortnite when Fornite is getting stuff we've already had for years at this point.

(Nevermind the stuff we did get, like the actual Infinity Stones; people are going to write them off because the current way to acquire them is painfully limited, but the fact that they are in the game and the devs weren't afraid to make them powerful is something worth celebrating, even if they are in dire need of improvements)

I know people aren't happy, but we'd get further if people would suggest what it is they want or expected instead of just shouting about how current things are wrong.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    On the plus side, there was zero temptation to drop any cash on the tie-in content.  Very low-pressure, so we could go out and enjoy the movie without worrying that we were missing something good by mistiming an end grind.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    On the one hand, I get it. People aren't happy with the IW promo material that MPQ received.

On the other hand, Fortnite got a playable Thanos with various Infinity Stone related abilities.

MPQ got a playable Thanos for Christmas of 2016, and a boss version with Infinity Stone powers in May of 2017. What exactly did you want them to add?

People are getting bent out of shape because Fortnite got stuff we've had for years, because they got it as promo material for IW and we... didn't? I'm not even sure how this is comparable, because I'm not sure what MPQ is supposed to get to be equal to Fortnite when Fornite is getting stuff we've already had for years at this point.

(Nevermind the stuff we did get, like the actual Infinity Stones; people are going to write them off because the current way to acquire them is painfully limited, but the fact that they are in the game and the devs weren't afraid to make them powerful is something worth celebrating, even if they are in dire need of improvements)

I know people aren't happy, but we'd get further if people would suggest what it is they want or expected instead of just shouting about how current things are wrong.
    @JHawkInc
    Here. 
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72368/projections-for-next-season-infinity-stones-season/p1
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    JHawkInc said:

Umm...okay.
    How about new content?  Like was done for GOTG2, Thor:Ragnarok, and BP.  I think saying "well we already have Thanos" is kinda like saying we already have all the Avengers in-game so why do anything....

I think most players are realistic, but it's surprising that while the previous 3 Marvel movies got new content in the form of brand brand new Versus or Story events, IW received none of that.  If you want to say the new "content" was new Supports, well... you know what most around here think of the Support roll-out and distribution strategy.  Plus, Supports aren't content, they are basically just a new version of Boosts.  

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m going to repost this from the other thread:

Let's consider the last 7 Marvel movies and what the game did content wise (events only, ignoring character introduction:

Civil War - Civil war Boss event
    Doctor Strange - Strange Sights event introduced
    GOTG2 - Thanos boss event AND a series of one off Events that were eventually collected into Honor Among Thieves
    Spider-Man Homecoming - Sinister Six boss event
    Thor:  Ragnarok - Sakaar Arena LRs
    Black Panther - Fight for Wakanda event introduced

The issue is/was:  what IW related content was visible / accessible in game on April 26, the date the movie released?  Some Black Order Supports and a 300 item vault.  Cap was locked in the whale exclusivity window and BW was a week away.

I don’t pretend that all these past events did a lot in terms of feeling like the movies, but at least they were different and something new to play.

It should, I suppose, also be noted that the game has its own world/story feel and they don’t try to directly copy the movie stories, mostly because they want to use in game characters and keep things easier to execute. But they could have done a little more in terms of some in game playable event to engage with.  Or perhaps said they are working on something coming soon, but the movie release date made them change priorities.

• LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited May 2018
    bluewolf said:
    I’m going to repost this from the other thread:

Let's consider the last 7 Marvel movies and what the game did content wise (events only, ignoring character introduction:

Civil War - Civil war Boss event
    Doctor Strange - Strange Sights event introduced
    GOTG2 - Thanos boss event AND a series of one off Events that were eventually collected into Honor Among Thieves
    Spider-Man Homecoming - Sinister Six boss event
    Thor:  Ragnarok - Sakaar Arena LRs
    Black Panther - Fight for Wakanda event introduced

The issue is/was:  what IW related content was visible / accessible in game on April 26, the date the movie released?  Some Black Order Supports and a 300 item vault.  Cap was locked in the whale exclusivity window and BW was a week away.

I don’t pretend that all these past events did a lot in terms of feeling like the movies, but at least they were different and something new to play.

It should, I suppose, also be noted that the game has its own world/story feel and they don’t try to directly copy the movie stories, mostly because they want to use in game characters and keep things easier to execute. But they could have done a little more in terms of some in game playable event to engage with.  Or perhaps said they are working on something coming soon, but the movie release date made them change priorities.

But even if so, we're already past the originally planned release date and there's nothing
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    As said...  Fortnite is the most popular game in the world, and it hasn't even been released in China yet.  The cross-promotion is brillant and probably has very little cost to both sides.  But both sides benefit.

Thanos mode and playing as Thanos...  Wow.  Super OP (of course) but lots of fun.  Making it a completely seperate game mode was also brillant.

Even as a newer MPQ player, shocked at the lack of IW content.  That's it.  The Black Order supports are kinda cool, actually helpful.  I don't know, just underwhelmed.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    They could have at least given us Crash of the Mad Titan again. That was so much fun. One of my favorite ever MPQ events. All they would have had to do is update the rewards, boost the appropriate characters and switch it on for launch day :cry: