How do you keep the game fun?

Doc L
Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
Okay, this is not meant to be negative, and I would like people to keep as positive as they can! 

I'm a player from the initial Beta run, day, oh, 1651 apparently, and I have spent a bit, not what I would call a lot (mostly just VIP the whole time), as I want to support a game I enjoy. I have 8 champed 5*, and I just about pull LT at a rate that enables the Latest 5* to be champed, providing my luck doesn't go haywire (such as when Gambit came out, I pulled 11 extra 5* Daredevils instead, or had a run of no 5* for like 40 pulls in the same period). I also have all but 6 of the 4* champed, I think they are technically the most recently released 6, but not 100% sure on that. My ISO is always decent, 300k currently, which I may use to level my Gambit (12 covers) upto its max level. 

Long preface there.

Now, recently, I've been feeling a malaise. Be it the gameplay, the PvE grinding (as an aside, I really miss limited roster Heroics and the Gauntlet), the way releases happen, supports, and all of the other things. Plus, I have been playing for, well, 5 years. That's a lot of matching 3. My interactions with my alliance help a lot, and Infinity War got me really excited about Marvel, and what will likely happen in a year from now. Likewise, Archangel leaving actually helps a lot, as I hate hoarding with a passion. my 4* and 5* grind to a halt, and I like to see progressive improvements in my roster. I wouldn't play Diablo, for example, and hoard all of my Legendary items before I open them all a day before they expire (well, 'open' is a loose term. I mean, when you 'identify' them). 

So. How do other players keep it exciting? And I don't mean, use 4* in PvP or something. I'm bored, but not crazy. What ways do you all have to keep you wanting to login and play that extra match? Any thoughts would be cool.

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    This will be a lot of people's answer: Line
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Hope - the hope that your pulls (whether they be Standards, Heroics or Legendaries etc) give you what you desire.

Drive for resources - basically collecting the resources needed for the above.

Alliance minimums - whilst it's only a game I don't like letting people/friends/teammates down by failing to meet my virtual obligations.

Competition/fun - sometimes it is fun competing to score high, or to reach 1200 in S2, or to clear quickest in CL9 PVE.  Of course at other times the same things feel like a chore  or a meaningless grind.

Hope again - that the devs finally make rebalancing changes so I can better use the sizeable and diverse roster I have accrued over my own 1300+ days in the game.

In truth my motivations are always changing and are, due to my recent thread, probably close to an all time low at the moment.  But the overriding ones for me are fun and hope in that order.   With the latter 'hopefully' improving the former.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    This will be a lot of people's answer: Line
    This and my ally mates and friends in game, plus some I have met in real life.  Line is a major part of this game now for me and what keeps some of us going. 
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Friends and discussion outside the game. My alliance is casual with no requirements other than play everyday and play hard on boss events, but 8 of us know each other outside the game. Our discussions keep us all going at whatever level we play at (from myself with 50 4* champs at the high end to one guy who has been boss and DDQ only for years and has 12 3* champs at the low end).
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    I've played the same amount as the OP, maybe a week or more longer.
    This game remains to be fun for me because I enjoy the characters and their interaction within a match-3 framework.
    I look forward to new character releases because one of my greatest enjoyments comes from testing out the new character to see how they interact. since we are just in the release of a new character I am playing Bl4ck Widow looking for interesting synergies in DDQ and Sim. These are the best of times for me.
    I echo that Line also has made my enjoyment deeper. It also has to do with being part of an alliance family, KA, which supports my style of play.
    I'm not close to being bored or feeling burnt out.
  • AlwaysWrong
    AlwaysWrong Posts: 67 Match Maker
    I've only been playing for a year and it's past the point of being fun. I look forward to good boost list weeks so that it's over faster. Probably won't keep playing much after vip runs out this time. I have better things to do than grind for characters I'll never use because they're not better than vulture or grocketdusa or c4rol.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Line, beyond the game, is a great community of people with a common interest.  However, do not except any invites to a "MPQ 18+" room, some things can't be unseen.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is meant not as sarcasm : get a second mobile game.  I am in a similar boat as you and was ready to quit but started Marvel Strike Force a few weeks ago and going back and forth has kept up interest in MPQ as I am doing something different every now and then.  Instead of playing 100% of my mobile time on MPQ and ready to die of boredom, I now do about 60% MPQ and 40% MSF and enjoy MPQ more than before.

Part of what that forced was me giving up trying to be T10 in every PVE.  Now, I have much more freedom to play when I want and still make progression.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    MPQ is fun to me in a lot of ways. Yeah, it's grindy, but I'm still at it.

1) It scratches my Marvel itch
    2) Discovering new teams (usually on these forums) and searching for synergy
    3) What else am I going to do on the toilet? Read? Hah! Print is dead. MPQ is good for those fast throne days or I can play a bit longer on those ones that don't come as quick.
    4) The hoard, man. The hoard will start motivating you. I'm on a drive for 300 for when Iron Spider kicks Chrome Rider out of the latest three.
    5) When all the above fails to interest me, I do DDQ and forget the rest. Take a day off from everything else. It's not the end of the world.
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Cat memes.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    A small thing, but rather than smashing through Deadpool missions with the same characters, I like to build a team around the required character, and then carry that over to the mission where they earn their cover (make them work for it!)
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    First, thank you for the varied responses, they are appreciated. I would say, that without talking to the guys and girls in the alliance on Line, pretty sure I would have quit already. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of rabbit memes than cats (if you know me on Line, ask - got stacks of them).

Hoarding, I find, actually hurts. I don't see any progress in my 4* or 5* roster when I'm doing that, and that makes it feel much more of a grind than just using tokens as it is. I usually get about the number to champ 5*, so it's not usually an issue to make sure I get them.

I think, getting Jessica Jones champed may help a lot. She seems like she has a lot of fun mechanics. 

I think varying DDQ may be a good thing. I often feel like I waste all these other characters I've got, and crunching it with Thanos each time, whilst a little satisfying in one way, is probably not great for my interest levels.

I'm unlikely to give up, I love Marvel first and foremost, and the friends on Line too. That said, its a little sad if the thing that most think is not about the game, but the comradeship associated with it. Like, if I play, I don't know, Diablo, it's fun because of the game mechanics itself. I also like that it doesn't use up battery as its not too graphically complex compared to some other Marvel games, which seems weird, but I want to play a Marvel game on the way to work, I don't want it to destroy may phone!

• Talestummy
    Talestummy Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Just play a different Marvel game with your Line friends. 
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I don’t know you keep the game fun, but for me at least the game was great.  I just personally couldn’t handle the overnerfs that came long after they should have and inadequate compensation for them.  If the nerfs has been timely, I honestly think I would still be playing or if the compensation had at least been adequate, i maybe still would be. 

I will say this, I am in a bunch of Line chats (PAD, sports, MSF, former MPQ alliance) with former MPQ players.  I don’t know what is about MPQ, but when ppl leave this game, a lot of them are just really ticked off at the game.  It’s very curious to me.   I’ve never seen another game do that to former players.  

I don’t share their level of contempt, but then again I didn’t leave because I didn’t like the gameplay, awesome characters, or the collecting.  So guess have fun while it lasts.  The great times were definitely memorable and great.  
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Wow, you've been playing for 5 years?
    In honour of your dedication to the grind, in the great marvel tradition, I award you with ....
    ....a NO PRIZE.:wink: 

(That's strictly for readers of the old source material)

I know you want to keep all replies positive but listen up veteran of the game, life isn't like that.
    I will you give you my honest opinion on how I keep it fun be that positive or negative.

Little as possible, that's how I keep it fun.
    I log on each day, it's getting later and later now  due to other games being top priority.
    Complete the ONE node on deadpool daily (command point), reply to any questions posed by alliance members. Check if i can complete crash of Titans then log out.

Not much fun there you might say and you would be correct. I'm hanging in by the fingertips.
    Forget to mention I do compete in the alliance events. That's still fun for now anyway. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champ 5* Bruce Banner and use him in every possible match.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    I've found Nightcrawler and America Chavez have made for some fun games recently, now I have both champed. Get 7 purple AP for BAMF! and start shaking the board up and generating AP. This can lead to cascades which will make more AP and even critical tiles for match-4s or more. AC's green passive will make a critical tile each turn if you have more AP than the enemy in three colours (at five covers). Add Quake for even more board shake with Earthquake and Resonance Frequency and matches can get chaotic very quickly :smile: Or you could use 4SL to make BAMF! even cheaper, or Wanda to generate purple for Kurt. Lots of possibilities.

This is what makes this game fun - lots of different combinations can be used to win, and they can be very effective in unexpected ways. It's fun to experiment with different teams, especially when one or more are boosted.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taking breaks really helps. Sometimes I just don't feel like grinding, so I take a few days or a week or months off. Then I grind a little bit, have some fun and hate it at the same time LOL. I usually don't play much on weekends. I have a long train ride to and from work, so that's when I do most of my mpq.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    My life got better when a) I decided I would regularly slum in SCL7 and b) that I stopped giving a Pym particle-infused cat about event placement.  I still marginally care about sub placement, since I'd like T50 for the HP, but even that goes out the window once in a while since I've got everyone rostered and I'm only starting to crack 3* farming.  My slovenly pace of clearing is still enough to guarantee T100 on releases, and the quantum of effort that is required to score multiple placement covers is orders of magnitude above both my roster and my available time. 

Being more lackadaisical about everything means I don't have to always use boosted characters, so sometimes I pull out new shiny unchamped toys: I've finally gotten to a critical mass of covers (I find 6-8 is where a new character can be effective without being an albatross) where I like running 4*BP/Shuri/Nico and see how ridiculous I can get my tiles in both quantity and quality.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    A small thing, but rather than smashing through Deadpool missions with the same characters, I like to build a team around the required character, and then carry that over to the mission where they earn their cover (make them work for it!)
    For the first time that I can recall, I had my head handed back to me using this strategy in yesterdays node to get the Doctor Doom cover. I used Doom, champed Rogue, and lvl 168 America, and was absolutely destroyed by the Mindless One & Ultron Sentry

Man, I hate those robots