When is it time for SCL 8? (PvE)

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Ever since the dawn of Shield Clearance Levels I've been playing SCL 7 in PvE. It's been my sweet spot for fast clears and 4-star rewards. But now that I'm sitting at 40+ champed 4-stars I'm starting to wonder when people make the jump to SCL 8? I play PvE for progression only, except on new releases when I'll play for placement and can usually place T10.

Any input from players who have gone to playing SCL 8 consistently would be appreciated. How has your experience been? Where was your roster at when you made the move?

Comments

• madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    You should be able to easily go for SCL8. The difference is not that much, and the only node which jumps up a lot is the 5* essential. So if you have a decently covered 5* essential/have put some some iso into them/champed, you should go for SCL8.

I would even argue that since you are going for progression only, go to SCL9. (Just skip the 5* essential node entirely or do 1-2 clears for it). In my opinion if progression only , players should do the highest CL possible
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    The 5E only gets problematic for non-5* players in CL9 imo. I rarely find issues placing in CL8, and I’m lazy/RL-constrained for the most part.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,318 Chairperson of the Boards
    I started off in SCL9 and dropped into 8 because the 5* node was too difficult you clear regularly. 8 is fine for me. Easily achievable to get max progression rewards with a day to spare and normally T50 if I commit. Can still manage it if I slack on a day. 
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Try CL8 in a non new release event. I have been playing in CL8 mostly since CL9 and the 5* node has been out. I just champed 4* #61 this morning and 8 does get easier all the time. I tried 9 once and the 5* node was way too hard for my lousy covered 5*.

I'm getting close to trying again when one of my good covered 5*s is featured. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Try it once and decide if it's worth it.  I stuck to scl7 for a long time, but in December decided to give scl9 a whirl and found it took longer, but was very doable with a 4* roster.  The 5* nodes aren't fun, but the first 2 clears aren't awful.  Also, the added challenge made it more interesting to me.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    I am about in the same place as you Dormammu character wise and I have been playing in SCL8 (I may be in 9 now I always pick the highest one open to me, I will check when I get home because everything below holds true for whichever one I am in) since it started for both PVE and PVP.  Time wise there is not much more of a difference for clears in PVE and you will definitely notice a better set of rewards.  Every once in a while, like this current event "Strange Sites", it can get difficult to clear everthing if you do not want to spend health pack but I typically clear every node (3-6 on the 5 star one depending on who it is), I do not play for placement and as long as you do your clears you should be in the top 100, usually top 70.  SCL8 also has the added benefit of the top 200 getting the new release 4stars, for those events just clearing usually puts me around 100. 

PVP is a different can of worms and that depends on your preference.  I do not enjoy pvp anymore, I try to get 300-400 each event the 4000 for the season and 2000 in the simulator.  It is still doable I have not missed any of those goals but it is a grind now especially the simulator which is nothing but Gambit, BB, BP, Thanos and Thor.

I double checked I am playing SCL 9 you should have no issue jumping to 8 and I might suggest you try 9.  (I had more 4's done than I though I am at 57 and 3 5's (OML, Phoenix and SS) so none of the monsters who make PVE really easy :)