Same character in same tier

Smart80
Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
I was just thinking about characters with multiple version in the same tier. The new character usually is a better character, making the older somewhat obsolete, as you cant use both in a team. 

Like now, IWCap coming in packs in couple of days, making CWCap even less useful than ever before. Basically could consider it a nerf, right?

When OML was nerfed, selling him offered us special 5* tokens. I would love to see this for CWCap now as well, same as for any double characters coming in the future.. (although i would much rather see unique releases off course)

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    They only offer increased sale value when they actually change a character. In the early days of the game, PAtch and Daken were pretty dominant in the 3* tier thanks to their true healing... so they increased the health of all characters who didn't have true healing, making Patch and Daken less powerful in comparison, but since they weren't changed they didn't get an increased sale price.
  • Smart80
    I know, but it would make sense if they did, wouldnt it? He basicly gets put in storage by this release...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not like he was used much before this release either...
  • Smart80
    Quebbster said:
    making an extra nerf even worse imo
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Smart80 said:
    Quebbster said:
    making an extra nerf even worse imo
    OK, but let's be real, if you have to torture logic this much to make it fit your narrative, then it's not really a nerf, is it? It's just that a new character came out, and you can't play him on the same team as a character that you didn't like playing anyway.
  • Smart80
    edited May 2018
    And why is it torturing logic?

A release that makes using a certain toon not just obsolete, but impossible to use with new character, in a tier with only 24 toons (with now 2 double characters), is clearly a nerf for anyone who uses the old Steve.

its not just 1 of 60+ or anything. And even in 4 or 3* tier , there arent many that cant be used together anyway.

i dont think im stretching at all, especially if you keep in mind, the rest of your roster becomes pretty much redundant anyway, once you move into 5* country...
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Smart80 said:
    ... is clearly a nerf for anyone who uses the old Steve.
    Who are these people?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Smart80 said:
    Who are these people?
    He was good when PVE still had roster based scaling.
    Most people who have him champed will agree.
    All six of us.
  • Smart80
    Dormammu said:
    Smart80 said:
    Who are these people?
    Ghehe, fair question. :-)

Might not make too much sense, but at least know 1 big fan. Also, Steve is not as bad as many think imo..

But joking aside, it doesnt matter if he is popular or not. Its still a nerf and they should just choose unique chatacters per tier. There are only 22 5* and not many have all of those to choose from either. Making one of those few obsolete, by releasing a same character doesnt really makes as little or less sense than using Steve to begin with.. ;-)
  • Sim Mayor
    Smart80 said:

A release that makes using a certain toon not just obsolete, but impossible to use with new character, in a tier with only 24 toons (with now 2 double characters), is clearly a nerf for anyone who uses the old Steve.

It's torturing logic because a nerf is when they change a character to make them weaker than they were before. Being weaker than another character is not the same thing. It's like saying that someone at your job getting a raise made you poorer.

By your logic, every time they make a new character who is more powerful than an existing character, that existing character just got weaker and you should get free stuff for it.
  • Smart80
    Sim Mayor said:
    Smart80 said:

It's torturing logic because a nerf is when they change a character to make them weaker than they were before. Being weaker than another character is not the same thing. It's like saying that someone at your job getting a raise made you poorer.

By your logic, every time they make a new character who is more powerful than an existing character, that existing character just got weaker and you should get free stuff for it.
    Now you’re the one torturing logic. Your example indeed would have no effect on me. But thats not a very correct comparisson. Its more like the new employee coming in to do my job, by your metaphor. People usually dont get to keep their job, if someone else is doing it...

Anyway, i saw on other topic, that you are transitioning from 3 to 4* tier. Not to be a ****, but dont think you really understand the situation. Its not like there is all that much to choose from in 5* tier. Now we dont have an addition, but a substitution...
  • Sim Mayor
    Just for clarification, the thread you saw might be a bit out of date, since I'm comfortably in 4* land now and play quite a bit with 5's (including a moderately well-covered First Avenger). That brief period of win-based PvP rewards was very good to me :smiley: Unfortunately that does somewhat negate your effect to pat me on the head and send me out of the room with a cookie.

And it's your metaphor that isn't quite matching reality. As you said, this is a substitution. The old 5* Cap isn't being replaced in any sense except for the fact that you can't play him on the same team as the new one (and there's no synergy there that should make you want to). If he was one of your go-to 5*s (which I doubt, considering your own comments earlier in this thread), you can still use him in literally every way you could before, and he's every bit as powerful (or not) as he was before. To stretch our shared metaphor pretty much to its breaking point, they hired someone to work in another department, and you're saying that he took your job.
  • Smart80
    Pfff, if you brush aside that you cant use them together as a minor detail, you win. Or that the new doesnt effect the older. I hardly think that is a minor detail. 

And playing around with semi covered 5* in 4* land is still the same as moving from 3* to 4*. Was no pat on the head and you can have as many cookies as you want, but still arent in any situation that makes you understand the issue, nor does it effect you in any way. 

Anyway, this is meaningless discussion and im done with it.
  • Smart80
    Here’s praying Iron Spider isnt actually going to be yet another 5pider, as many are expecting....
  • Sim Mayor
    Smart80 said:
    Here’s praying Iron Spider isnt actually going to be yet another 5pider, as many are expecting....
    From your lips to RNGesus' ears.