Team nickname suggestion for Medusa, 4s Gamora and 4s Rocket & Groot

qjunky
qjunky Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
edited May 2018 in MPQ Character Discussion
People use the devasting team of Medusa, and 4s Groot and Gamora to destroy many teams in the simulator and to make quick work of lightning rounds and many many pve nodes... this team NEEDs a nickname..

Hair of the Gog

upvote this to death and let's make this happen!

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grockamadoomagamoradusa

(Or you could just do what I do and refer to them as G/G/M)
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Green hairy raccoon rabbit up a tree.

GHRUAT
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use Grockamoradusa. It's fun to say :smiley:
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    I call them the Unholy Trio.
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Gramodusa is fine for me.
  • darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Grock-Mor-dusa 
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    I call them "Nerfed soon"
  • Dormammu
    NeonBlue said:
    I wouldn't bet on that.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    I usually say Thank God everytime I use them.. they really do save me so much time playing this game
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    Dormammu said:
    NeonBlue said:
    I wouldn't bet on that.
    I'm transitioning into 4* and have refused to build it as my first team in a game of chicken with the devs. I know 100% that as soon as I go for it, it'll get nerfed, so I plan to stare them down until it happens. According to the Q&A, tuning happens in the cases of:

Key metrics we look at are:
    - Win rates: ?
    - Usage relative to ownership: Everyone uses them
    - How many resources players are investing in this character vs. others: This has been the go-to first champ team since R4cket came out

And we look at player perception, including:
    - Sentiment about the character on the forums and elsewhere: Millions of complaint threads
    - How expert players at the company feel about the character: ?
    - Where the character shows up in power rankings/tier lists: I think G4mora is inflated because of the team. Med4sa is just strong on her own which is okay. R4cket is always top.
    - Comments about the character from reviews/surveys/player interviews: ?

If there is any 4* team that deserves to get destroyed, its this one. The question then becomes: will they ever pull manpower from the awful support roll out to balance the game? 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,901 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    NeonBlue said:
    Dormammu said:
    NeonBlue said:
    I wouldn't bet on that.
    I'm transitioning into 4* and have refused to build it as my first team in a game of chicken with the devs. I know 100% that as soon as I go for it, it'll get nerfed, so I plan to stare them down until it happens. According to the Q&A, tuning happens in the cases of:

- How many resources players are investing in this character vs. others: This has been the go-to first champ team since R4cket came out

- Sentiment about the character on the forums and elsewhere: Millions of complaint threads
    - Where the character shows up in power rankings/tier lists: I think G4mora is inflated because of the team. Med4sa is just strong on her own which is okay. R4cket is always top.

If there is any 4* team that deserves to get destroyed, its this one. The question then becomes: will they ever pull manpower from the awful support roll out to balance the game? 

There hasn't been an official nerf in the 4* tier in years. There have only been a couple of accidental ones (Kingpin/Carnage) when they attempted to buff lesser used characters.

The reason is the game is a 5* meta now and those are the metrics they are looking at and were looking at well over a year ago with OML.

Like Punisher above, I relentlessly use this trio in PvE and PvP. The thing is though that they are easily countered by anyone in the 5* tier and any 4* player with a veteran roster (30+ champs). The only players having trouble with them are 3* and early 4* transition players like yourself. Not sure what % of the player base that is but I'd guess it's 10-15% tops.

Anyway there is no real way to nerf the combo because individually they are fine on their own so they don't need to be changed.

KGB
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    KGB said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Dormammu said:
    NeonBlue said:
    I wouldn't bet on that.

There hasn't been an official nerf in the 4* tier in years. There have only been a couple of accidental ones (Kingpin/Carnage) when they attempted to buff lesser used characters.

The reason is the game is a 5* meta now and those are the metrics they are looking at and were looking at well over a year ago with OML.

Like Punisher above, I relentlessly use this trio in PvE and PvP. The thing is though that they are easily countered by anyone in the 5* tier and any 4* player with a veteran roster (30+ champs). The only players having trouble with them are 3* and early 4* transition players like yourself. Not sure what % of the player base that is but I'd guess it's 10-15% tops.

Anyway there is no real way to nerf the combo because individually they are fine on their own so they don't need to be changed.

KGB
    If you require the next tier above to defeat the team, then there is an inherent imbalance.

Also, R4cket has an inherent imbalance even on his own. He creates so much up-front damage with little to no counterplay. There's no way to fight the team repeatedly without being forced to use health packs after almost every fight. Kraven was an attempt at countering Turn 0 strike tiles, but even he is too slow to mitigate the potential turn 2, 3, or 4 knockouts. One unlucky cascade and even high level 4*s can be killed on turn 2, making it an immediate 2v3. The only ones who can effectively win are those who have enough health to take several thousands worth of damage without needing health packs. This includes high champed 4*s and 5*s.  The only other character with a large turn 0 impact is ME Hulk with the possibility of giving massive AP as soon as the match begins, and even then, his Turn 0 is so inconsistent that not many complain.

There's no team in 3* land that can only be beaten by 4* characters. There is no team in 2* land that can only be beaten by 3* characters. If R4cket and friends need 5*s to consistently win without healing, they are inherently overtuned. Even the counters to the team (like red hulk, deadpool) that can win more consistently need to heal to keep fighting the teams over and over. Health pack usage (or switching to a fresh team) should never be an inevitability, and should have effective counters through game mechanics (denying colors, ability usage, board manipulation). 

If 95% of 4star players use the same team for all the content in order to remain competitive, then it is overpowered. Obviously, this is also why Gambit is OP as well. Too much unconditional and uncontested power.

• dave7099
    dave7099 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    They've been the go to 4* team too long. It's boring
  • TPF Alexis
    NeonBlue said:
    KGB said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Dormammu said:
    NeonBlue said:
    I wouldn't bet on that.

KGB
    If you require the next tier above to defeat the team, then there is an inherent imbalance.

Also, R4cket has an inherent imbalance even on his own. He creates so much up-front damage with little to no counterplay. There's no way to fight the team repeatedly without being forced to use health packs after almost every fight. Kraven was an attempt at countering Turn 0 strike tiles, but even he is too slow to mitigate the potential turn 2, 3, or 4 knockouts. One unlucky cascade and even high level 4*s can be killed on turn 2, making it an immediate 2v3. The only ones who can effectively win are those who have enough health to take several thousands worth of damage without needing health packs. This includes high champed 4*s and 5*s.  The only other character with a large turn 0 impact is ME Hulk with the possibility of giving massive AP as soon as the match begins, and even then, his Turn 0 is so inconsistent that not many complain.

There's no team in 3* land that can only be beaten by 4* characters. There is no team in 2* land that can only be beaten by 3* characters. If R4cket and friends need 5*s to consistently win without healing, they are inherently overtuned. Even the counters to the team (like red hulk, deadpool) that can win more consistently need to heal to keep fighting the teams over and over. Health pack usage (or switching to a fresh team) should never be an inevitability, and should have effective counters through game mechanics (denying colors, ability usage, board manipulation). 

If 95% of 4star players use the same team for all the content in order to remain competitive, then it is overpowered. Obviously, this is also why Gambit is OP as well. Too much unconditional and uncontested power.

KGB didn't say only 5* Players can beat them. 4* players with reasonably deep rosters probably have the tools for it as well. Just off the top of my head, Thing, 4* Deadpool, Rulk, or your own Medusa can have teams built around them that will take down Grockamoradusa pretty reliably. There are plenty of other 4* teams that will give 3* players or 4* transitioners just as much trouble.

Also, a lot of people use them not because it's necessary to remain competitive, but because they're easy to use, especially against goons. When grinding through 70+ fights in a row, being able to do a bunch of them on autopilot makes the whole thing significantly less tedious.

Further, there's sort of a temporary glut because they came out during vaulting, and then were in the improved odds pool, so most people who transitioned into 4* land in the last year or so got them as one of their early 4* teams, and still have them among their highest level 4* team. Those are also the 4* players you're most likely to see as a 3* player or 4* transitioner.

Once you get solidly into 4* land, you actually start seeing significantly more variety, especially in events other than Sim, where the boosted list is in effect.
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    NeonBlue said:
    KGB said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Dormammu said:
    NeonBlue said:
    I wouldn't bet on that.

KGB

KGB didn't say only 5* Players can beat them. 4* players with reasonably deep rosters probably have the tools for it as well. Just off the top of my head, Thing, 4* Deadpool, Rulk, or your own Medusa can have teams built around them that will take down Grockamoradusa pretty reliably. There are plenty of other 4* teams that will give 3* players or 4* transitioners just as much trouble.

Also, a lot of people use them not because it's necessary to remain competitive, but because they're easy to use, especially against goons. When grinding through 70+ fights in a row, being able to do a bunch of them on autopilot makes the whole thing significantly less tedious.

Further, there's sort of a temporary glut because they came out during vaulting, and then were in the improved odds pool, so most people who transitioned into 4* land in the last year or so got them as one of their early 4* teams, and still have them among their highest level 4* team. Those are also the 4* players you're most likely to see as a 3* player or 4* transitioner.

Once you get solidly into 4* land, you actually start seeing significantly more variety, especially in events other than Sim, where the boosted list is in effect.
    Can those teams win reliably without having to chug health packs? My point isn't that they're impossible to beat, it's that just by fighting them, you're almost guaranteed to use additional resources. Every other team has a ramp up period, however short, that allows you to win before taking lots of damage.

As for PvE, being easy to use is part of being competitive. If you're aiming for top placement, it becomes all about speed and consistency. People use this team because they reliably clear nodes the fastest, which nets you the most points. I know as a player, autopilot sounds appealing, but as a developer, should playing without having to look at the screen really be encouraged?

Like you said, the only time you don't see this team is when they are replaced by boosted characters. However, there is almost no instance where you see a non-boosted team that isn't r4cket+friends. This means that by default, everyone in 4* land picks R4cket and only uses other teams when their stats resemble a 5*. When you exclude boosts, the R4cket team has no equal

• TPF Alexis
    NeonBlue said:
    NeonBlue said:
    KGB said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Dormammu said:
    NeonBlue said:
    I wouldn't bet on that.

KGB

Can those teams win reliably without having to chug health packs? My point isn't that they're impossible to beat, it's that just by fighting them, you're almost guaranteed to use additional resources. Every other team has a ramp up period, however short, that allows you to win before taking lots of damage.

As for PvE, being easy to use is part of being competitive. If you're aiming for top placement, it becomes all about speed and consistency. People use this team because they reliably clear nodes the fastest, which nets you the most points. I know as a player, autopilot sounds appealing, but as a developer, should playing without having to look at the screen really be encouraged?

Like you said, the only time you don't see this team is when they are replaced by boosted characters. However, there is almost no instance where you see a non-boosted team that isn't r4cket+friends. This means that by default, everyone in 4* land picks R4cket and only uses other teams when their stats resemble a 5*. When you exclude boosts, the R4cket team has no equal

Medusa and Thing can both beat them without requiring much in the way of health packs unless something goes seriously wrong. The usual Rulk and 4Pool teams will typically take one health pack per fight, from what I've seen.

Even in the absence of other boosted characters, Grockamoradusa are garbage against tile-movers above a certain amount of health, because once the Strikes get matched away, they don't really have much hitting power. Ultron Sentries in particular just wreck them. They run into trouble in Wave nodes for the same reason.

Again, I think it's because there's a big wave of relatively new 4* players right now for whom Grockamora are their highest level team, or close to it. That will start to pass now that they're out of Latest 12, and no longer so easily accessible. I actually noticed significantly fewer Grockamoradusa teams in last season's Sim than in the previous few. Vulture, Mockingbird, Rogue, America, MEHulk, and Nico are all becoming more common in my queues, and old standbys like C4rol, Peggy, and Iceman are all regular sights as well. However, if you're still in the 4* transition, you're going to see more of the people who are still leaning on them than people more solidly established in the 4* tier, who are going to see more of the players with deeper rosters showing up in their queues.

Personally, what they've really done for me is replace 3* Thanos. They serve basically the same role, making easy things trivial and faster, but I have better options for the hard fights.
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    OJSP said:
    NeonBlue said:
    I’ve just played SHIELD Sim overnight and this morning and I’ve beaten at least 5 G/G/M teams with various 4* teams, no health packs used. My Rulk/Carol/Rocket could beat G/G/M at least 3 times before Rulk needs a health pack. I also swapped Rocket with Valkyrie for a bit of variety. Medusa/Venom/Kraven could also beat them without needing a health pack at the end of the match (or maybe one is needed). My XDP and Thing’s levels are slightly to high to trigger their passives reliably, but occasionally I use Carol/XDP/Thing. Gamora/Sandman/Vulture or Riri/C&D/Vulture could also  beat them. OK, my 4*s are slightly bigger than average, but the G/G/M teams that I’m facing are not small either.

Taking damage is part of the game and health packs usage can be mitigated by having a broad roster. Gone are the days where we could use Wolverine and Daken (2*/3*s) or Wolverine and XDP to play non-stop.

The question is: If you are transitioning to 4*, but you don’t want to use one of the best teams because you think they’d get nerfed: which 4*s are you going to champion first? Any of the teams I mentioned about could be beaten again by G/G/M. Why stop yourself from progressing?
    Taking damage is part of the game, but fighting that team over and over means that you will either need loads of health packs, or a team to directly counter them that could maybe survive 2 fights before needing to heal. If transitioning people want to survive in this kind of PvP environment, they need like 10+ 4* champed or lots of disposable income.

Right now, I have Vulture + Rogue fully covered and soft capped to match my 3*s. I'm finishing champing the rest of my 3* (7 left) before saving enough ISO and CP to get a 3rd character covered and champed (prob C&D). If G/G/M gets nerfed, they likely won't be played, since the devs tend to over nerf. This is why I don't want to build the GGM team as my first, because I know that when I do, and it does get nerfed, I won't really have a useable team.

I still have time before I make the leap. In the month and a half it will probably take me to get to that point, my hope is that GGM gets nerfed so I can stay competitive. If they don't, I'll probably make the leap anyway and see what happens.   
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    OJSP said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Taking damage is part of the game, but fighting that team over and over means that you will either need loads of health packs, or a team to directly counter them that could maybe survive 2 fights before needing to heal. If transitioning people want to survive in this kind of PvP environment, they need like 10+ 4* champed or lots of disposable income.
    Well, that’s the thing. The simplest way is to get our own Gamora Grocket and Medusa. This is only true for SHIELD Sim and off-season events anyway, where we could bring 3 characters. For the off-season events, the boosted characters would be more useful.

Let me share how I play mirror matches: 
    On the first match with our characters at full health, try to match opponent’s strike tiles to reduce damage. That would heal them, but give us AP. If we could get 6 blue AP, we could stun Medusa and safely match the other tiles. From the second match onwards, start by healing our team and matching our own strike tiles. Mix and match who takes the damage in our team to keep going. I once entered a match with Medusa at 5000 HP and the other 2 at 1000 and still win the match.
    In other Versus events, we can only bring 2, so people usually bring Gamora and Rocket: For the stun and the strike tiles. Without Medusa, these 2 are not particularly strong. You can use Hulk and Patch to beat them.
    NeonBlue said:
    Right now, I have Vulture + Rogue fully covered and soft capped to match my 3*s. I'm finishing champing the rest of my 3* (7 left) before saving enough ISO and CP to get a 3rd character covered and champed (prob C&D). If G/G/M gets nerfed, they likely won't be played, since the devs tend to over nerf. This is why I don't want to build the GGM team as my first, because I know that when I do, and it does get nerfed, I won't really have a useable team.

I still have time before I make the leap. In the month and a half it will probably take me to get to that point, my hope is that GGM gets nerfed so I can stay competitive. If they don't, I'll probably make the leap anyway and see what happens.   
    I seriously think you’re handicapping yourself if you don’t try this team or at least level one of them up. Vulture is quite good with Gamora. C&D is a brilliant battery for Vulture and they work well with Gamora. Rogue would reduce the damage from the strike tiles. 

Even if one of them gets nerfed, for example Grocket, we’d still have 2 very good characters. IM40 Gamora is brilliant for a transitioning roster. Mohawk Medusa is nasty. Hawkeye Medusa is also good against special tile makers.

Hoping that they get nerfed, so we could stay competitive is not how I would personally try to play this game. You might be waiting for a long time. They’ve been around for a year, why do you think they will be nerfed in the next month or so? I think you have nothing to worry about.
    Gamora and Medusa are fine, but the team needs R4cket to function to its intended purpose. Otherwise, you have a collection of above average characters with mild synergy. It's definitely possible to transition from there, but you'll be fighting uphill. I know Medusa has other teams she's optimal in, but G4mora is just a decent character with the benefit of being a GotG character. We also assume R4cket will be the only victim here, but it's possible they may touch all 3 characters.

You're absolutely right. Waiting for a nerf, especially with these devs is a huge gamble. It's possible they've given up on balancing at all and we'll be seeing this cancer for another two years. Or, with my luck, they nerf it as soon as I get it. I've had a history of things getting nerfed as soon as I decide to touch it. I'm banking on the fact that it's been a year and they've collected all of this feedback that overwhelmingly tells them how one-sided the meta is right now. Just like a stock that's been on the rise for a long time, there will eventually be a crash. Nothing's worse than buying in right before the crash.

Last thing. They mentioned after rolling out supports that they'll go back to focusing on balance and QOL changes. This could be lip service, and they could be full of it, but if it's true, then changes might come sooner than later. I'm used to playing games like League of Legends or Overwatch, where there's a balance patch every 2 weeks to a month. So this level of long-term imbalance is a bit disturbing.
  • Dormammu
    If they were going to nerf/re-balance G/G/M they would have done it by now, as they all existed in their current form (and were in wide use) when the devs re-balanced a bunch of characters last year. Trust me @NeonBlue when I say you are safe in champing them without fear of a nerf. In fact, you're severely handicapping yourself in PvE by not champing this team. They are fast-fast-fast together on offense and each one of them individually are linchpins on other key 4-star meta teams.

I used to beat my head against the wall every time I saw G/G/M in PvE when I was transitioning from 3-star to 4-star. Now that I have 40+ 4-star champs I salivate when I see them because they're so easily defeated and poor on defense (yes, without health packs).
  • TPF Alexis
    NeonBlue said:
    Right now, I have Vulture + Rogue fully covered and soft capped to match my 3*s. I'm finishing champing the rest of my 3* (7 left) before saving enough ISO and CP to get a 3rd character covered and champed (prob C&D).
    OK, there's your problem. Without some 4* champs, there aren't many options. Not none, but not many, and they're not as effective as the 4* solutions. Regardless of which pair you're looking at, it's really hard to punch up a tier. When I was in 3* land (pre-Grocket), I couldn't handle teams with 4* champs either, and now that I'm solidly in 4*, teams with 5* champs are an auto-skip on the rare occasions that I see them.

Vulture and Rogue are actually a pretty reasonable counter as well. Rogue can tank well enough to buy time for Vulture to build up some blue, and Medusa's healing only triggers when their special tiles are actually matched, not if they're directly destroyed.