May 2018 Q&A with Demiurge_Will

Options

Comments

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Are the Guns-N-Roses references deliberate? Is there a big fan on the design team?
    • Symbiote Destroyers have an "Appetite for Destruction" ability.
    • In the last sub of The Hunt story, Iron Man says "Welcome to the Jungle!" (its the first panel on that node, so I see it briefly every time before I hit the skip button)
    There's probably more that I'm forgetting or missed. Would these be too on-the-nose for one of the Storms to have a "November Rain" ability or one of the magical or Hand characters have a "Use Your Illusion".
    There are other musical references lying around. I believe in the first sub of Meet Rocket and Groot there are nodes called Can't Stop, Won't Stop and Don't Stop referencing the Beastie Boys song. I remember others scattered around but can't recall them off the top of my head.
    I think those were the names of the subs in the Heroic Juggernaut event.
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Colognoisseur great job as always. Hope you do some more reviews if characters, yours are always the best laid out and thoughtful.

OT. Is there any plan to make "Progression" more accessible for the masses. E.g. more 4*rewards/colourless covers(fingers crossed)
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    D3 how long do you think a PVP meta should last and when do you feel a meta teams becomes unhealthy for the game?

i ask this because in any game that is PVP (or even players team run by the AI) if one meta last too long or is too dominate it makes the game become stale and the game runs the risk of losing players as well as revenue.  I almost feel having the meta change at the right time is even more important than new content.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Has their ever been thoughts of a “streak buster”?   After reading https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72577/pulling-for-captain-america-a-cautionary-tale/p1 , and seeing a 9% pull rate for almost 400 pulls is insane.  We know that “lucky” isn’t involved that all pulls are pre determined. Something like this is soul crushing.  
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Smart80 said:
    Are you working on an UI for support so we can actually have some notion about what’s where?

- in roster, some icon if a support is attached, preferably also which support
    - in supports, show what toons they are attached to, preferably with the cooldown timer
    I can actually answer that first bullet point. Yes. In the upcoming R152 update, there will be an indicator on characters that shows which one has a Support attached to them.
    Just updated... I hope you working on more than this, cause this is the absolute tiniest of the ‘solutions’ i was hoping for..
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When will we get 3* Gambit pvp again? This is important to me. For reasons. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smart80 said:
    Brigby said:
    Smart80 said:
    Are you working on an UI for support so we can actually have some notion about what’s where?

- in supports, show what toons they are attached to, preferably with the cooldown timer
    I can actually answer that first bullet point. Yes. In the upcoming R152 update, there will be an indicator on characters that shows which one has a Support attached to them.
    Just updated... I hope you working on more than this, cause this is the absolute tiniest of the ‘solutions’ i was hoping for..

What, you think it was easy implementing that?
    I can assure you, a lot of goats had to die for it.
    You don't just code a feature like that.

• Smart80
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Smart80 said:
    Brigby said:
    Smart80 said:

What, you think it was easy implementing that?
    I can assure you, a lot of goats had to die for it.
    You don't just code a feature like that.

Im not with PETA... Sacrifice them all! And dont forget to throw Brady on that altar as well... ;-)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It appears about a month ago (give or take) that there was a much larger developer presence on the forums with both yourself and IceIX popping in frequently and sharing your thoughts.  Overall, posters were ecstatic and appreciative.  We have had nothing but radio silence since the implementation of supports despite the overwhelmingly negative feedback. I’m wondering if the silence is a reaction to the negativity, if it is indicative of you all working on implementing a better feature coming down the pipeline, or if there’s some other reason you could shed light on.  Thanks!
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It appears about a month ago (give or take) that there was a much larger developer presence on the forums with both yourself and IceIX popping in frequently and sharing your thoughts.  Overall, posters were ecstatic and appreciative.  We have had nothing but radio silence since the implementation of supports despite the overwhelmingly negative feedback. I’m wondering if the silence is a reaction to the negativity, if it is indicative of you all working on implementing a better feature coming down the pipeline, or if there’s some other reason you could shed light on.  Thanks!
    I don't think it was the Supports reaction, or only the Supports at least. The last question Will responded to was met with a bunch of demands to explain how they define an expert player and for D3/Demiurge players to reveal their in-game names. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZeiramMR said:
    I don't think it was the Supports reaction, or only the Supports at least. The last question Will responded to was met with a bunch of demands to explain how they define an expert player and for D3/Demiurge players to reveal their in-game names. 
    So rather than acknowledging or responding, taking your ball and going home is the best way to respond to your paying customers?  
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dang, Gina. Proportionality.

But I do agree with Zeiram that the devs' public involvement is so sporadic, it's hard to be reliable.

During their first year, they released a multipart series of articles about pricing, customer base, and lots of other "behind the curtain" details that indicated they weren't just winging it. I really miss that, but I'd like to have some kind of reliable "ahead of the news" announcements, even for basic stuff like season previews.
  • LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    This is just ridiculous and let me tell you why. I am a student working on my final thesis, having a part time job, a girlfriend, actively playing Magic The Gatherer in my local game shop, as well as playing WoW (which is a huge time sink) and mobile games and I STILL participate in the forums more than the actual game developers 😂
  • Smart80
    Options
    @Colognoisseur, it has been a week. Did Will actually agree to this, or were you just hopeful he would participate?
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Smart80 said:
    @Colognoisseur, it has been a week. Did Will actually agree to this, or were you just hopeful he would participate?
    It’s been a month since his last post.  The internet got too tough and they all ran away again.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smart80 said:
    It’s been a month since his last post.  The internet got too tough and they all ran away again.

Shush, you toxic person.
    Be positive.
    I'm sure they're hard at work now trying to figure out how to nerf Gambit after six months.

See?
    Easy not to be toxic!
  • LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    This is just ridiculous and let me tell you why. I am a student working on my final thesis, having a part time job, a girlfriend, actively playing Magic The Gatherer in my local game shop, as well as playing WoW (which is a huge time sink) and mobile games and I STILL participate in the forums more than the actual game developers 😂

People probably don't go over every single one of your posts with a fine tooth comb and overanalyzing every single syllable though. I have done forum discussions in an official capacity defending unpopular decisions that I personally did not agree with. It was not fun at all. Had to proof read every single thing I was going to post backwards, forwards, upwards, downwards and inside out just to make sure it couldn't be misinterpreted... and it still was.
    So let me ask you a counter question then - is no commumication better than communication that could possibly be misinterpreted? Is it better to never fail because you don't even try or fail multiple times while actually trying?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:

People probably don't go over every single one of your posts with a fine tooth comb and overanalyzing every single syllable though. I have done forum discussions in an official capacity defending unpopular decisions that I personally did not agree with. It was not fun at all. Had to proof read every single thing I was going to post backwards, forwards, upwards, downwards and inside out just to make sure it couldn't be misinterpreted... and it still was.
    So let me ask you a counter question then - is no commumication better than communication that could possibly be misinterpreted? Is it better to never fail because you don't even try or fail multiple times while actually trying?

All I am saying I get why the devs may feel it is not Worth engaging in public discussion.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Smart80 said:

There has never been any communication to me personally about Demiurge_Will's participation. I was gobsmacked that he answered my original sarcastic thread. Even last month his response on the metrics they take into account when it comes to deciding to nerf a character was exactly the kind of communication I want.

I am cutting them some slack because Will was very active in the Support thread answering questions in a timely manner as that was rolled out.

I am hopeful that he can find some time to show up this month and answer some things.

If this becomes a totally dead thread in regard to his participation I'll drop it going forward. Still most of the month left for him to add something.