5* Ghost Rider and 4* Ghost Rider are mutually exclusive

ThaRoadWarrior
ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
Pretty sure I know the answer, but is there any reason why Ghost Rider (robbie Reyes) and Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) are mutually exclusive? they are different people possessed by different, un-related entities who happen to manifest similar powers. Just curious if there is a lore-based explanation for this one, or if it's just "by design" the way it is with Gladiator Thor/Lady Thor and Bruce Banner/Amadeus Cho.

From the GR:RR wikipedia page:

Powers and abilities[edit]

Robbie differs from previous Ghost Riders, mainly because he is not possessed by a Spirit of Vengeance or any similar demonic entity. Rather, he is possessed by the spirit of Eli Morrow, a deceased serial killing Satanist who worked for the Russian mob as a hit-man. 

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    and just because it's there, Johnny Blaze and Robbie Reyes have canonically met in the comics:
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/All-New_Ghost_Rider_Vol_1_8
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    It is because the decision was made to re-use Johnny's icon on the tiles instead of creating a new one for Robbie. Two characters with the same icon can't be on the same team.
    That said, the Robbie Reyes from the Agents of SHIELD show followed more of the Spirit of Vengeance behavior, but they never explicitly gave his origin.So it would depend on which canon you are using. 
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    Robbie Reyes’ tiles have different icons than Johnny Blaze’s.
    I stand corrected. My second point is still valid though.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It's true, Agents of Shield kind of implied a Dan Ketch origin for Robby's ghost-ridery (via the sportbike we see in flashback rather than the harley), but I feel like that show is pretty borderline cannon to even the MCU, so I'd love to know if that's the real reason.