Divine Champions Boosted List

Steve111
Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) is boosted but Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes) is not, although all Thor’s are boosted. Is there a reason for this?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

If I understand Wikipedia right, Johnny Blaze is possessed by a bona fide demon while Robbie Reyes is "just" possessed by the spirit of a serial killing Satanist. That may not be enough to Count as a Divine Champion.

...or maybe they just didn't look too closely at the boost list this time. Either explanation works, really.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black Panther is also missing from the boosted list.  I guess people empowered by African gods don't count?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Black Panther is also missing from the boosted list.  I guess people empowered by African gods don't count?

I thought his empowerment came from the heart shaped herb... Is that divine now?
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Quebbster said:
    jamesh said:

I thought his empowerment came from the heart shaped herb... Is that divine now?
    He's also supposedly empowered by Bast (the Panther God):

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/T%27Challa_(Earth-616)#Powers_and_Abilities

• thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    jamesh said: in
    Hmm, so what God powers Storm? Isn't Khonshu an African god also?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Storm was worshipped as a goddess herself for a time, according to: http://marvel.com/universe/Storm#axzz5EM5WhzKG
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Speaking of the characters in the boosted list, why aren't we able to use 5*Thor and 4*Thoress together? Their reasoning behind not having 2*/3* Thor and Thoress together is that they can't both have mjlonir but 5* Thor doesn't have it! 
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler

Quebbster said:

If I understand Wikipedia right, Johnny Blaze is possessed by a bona fide demon while Robbie Reyes is "just" possessed by the spirit of a serial killing Satanist. That may not be enough to Count as a Divine Champion.

...or maybe they just didn't look too closely at the boost list this time. Either explanation works, really.

Interesting to know that about Robbie Reyes. I'd agree that disqualifies him, since he's not empowered by any kind of divine/demonic power.

However, considering Black Panther gets his powers from a combination of the heart shaped herbs and Bast the panther god, I'd definitely say that T'Challa belongs on the boosted list. His 4* version is pretty fun, and it'd be great to see a new addition to this event. Obviously, his 5* and 3* versions are great, too. This event could definitely use all the variety it can get.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's cos Robbie Reyes is rubbish and I hate him.

I don't even know why I hate him. Never read his comics and only ever seen him in Gwenpool. But I hate his design, I hate his stupid pointy metal skull face thing, I hate the fact he's in a stupid car (Ghost RIDER. Y'all ain't RIDING your cars! If he's gonna have a car, I WANT HIM RIDING IT ON THE ROOF) I hate his silly knife onna chain weapon (stupid impractical and a great way to cut yourself up by accident).

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's cos Robbie Reyes is rubbish and I hate him.

I hate his silly knife onna chain weapon (stupid impractical and a great way to cut yourself up by accident).

I dunno, it worked pretty well for this guy.

"Impractical weapons" are the bread and butter of fantasy and scifi though. Lightsabers would be the absolute worst in real life. A completely weightless blade that will slice off body parts if you so much as glance yourself with it? Darth Maul's double sided thing is the worst offender:

At any given time if his angle is slightly off he's slicing off his own leg. Hurp durp.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Missing from the Divine Champions boosted list:

Jean Grey (Phoenix) - Okay, understandable, since she's a 5-star.
    Silver Surfer - See above. But seriously, his power comes from one of the universe's three primal forces (Eternity, Death, Galactus). Surfer may be more powerful than a god.
    Valkyrie - Are all Asgardians considered gods? Maybe not, but if Storm is on the boosted list then Valkyrie certainly should have a spot.
    The Hood - does being backed by Dormammu count? Be careful how you answer...  ;)
    Black Panther - At least give us his 3-star & 4-star variants.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is Ragnarok on the boosted list?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is Ragnarok on the boosted list?
    Apparently, being a cyborg clone of a god is close enough.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    thisone said:
    jamesh said: in
    Hmm, so what God powers Storm? Isn't Khonshu an African god also?
    Moon Knight is a bit of a tricky one. He is of course an elite level athlete but because of his multiple personality disorder, there have been some suggestions that Khonshu is really just a figment of his warped mind and any enhanced abilities he has are due to self-hypnosis and self-delusion.

I'm not sure I buy that (especially as it would invalidate that Hawkeye once made Moon Knight some weapons as a favour to Khonshu) but the in game version we have is much more based on multiple personalities rather than anything mystical.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Missing from the Divine Champions boosted list:

Jean Grey (Phoenix) - Okay, understandable, since she's a 5-star.
    Silver Surfer - See above. But seriously, his power comes from one of the universe's three primal forces (Eternity, Death, Galactus). Surfer may be more powerful than a god.
    Valkyrie - Are all Asgardians considered gods? Maybe not, but if Storm is on the boosted list then Valkyrie certainly should have a spot.
    The Hood - does being backed by Dormammu count? Be careful how you answer...  ;)
    Black Panther - At least give us his 3-star & 4-star variants.
    Well Brunhillde was definitely a goddess both in myth and in Marvel lore but I'm not sure the MCU Valkyrie is meant to be her specifically. The New Mutant Danielle Moonstar became a valkyrie at one point but I don't think that made her a goddess, so it may be that you can be a Valkyrie and not a goddess.