Come on, Throw us a Bone!

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
Come on @Brigby we're dying here!  When is Dominaria coming?

You don't have to give a specific date, just something better than "soon."

Will it be in May?  Will it be in the next 2 weeks?  Come on man!  The suspense is killing me!

Comments

• NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree. Even if you don't want to commit to a specific date, a time frame seems like a more than reasonable request.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they don't do a timeframe because if something interferes it falls back on them. 

When the prerelease notes drop, we know the release is coming within a week. 
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Especially if you know it's going to be a while away, it's important to know. If I've got two months until Dominaria releases for instance, I'll spend some crystals now. Otherwise, I'm waiting. 
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think, and i hope it wont be too long, probably not this week or the next one... but hopefully not too long. If i remember correctly, @Brigby said that they were waiting for all the new material to be approved by wizards...? Which means, i guess, that everything should be ready... So as soon as they get the approval things might not take too long to be thrown in game.
    In any case, the longer it takes, the longer i have to keep hoarding up... Which is not a bad thing after all :)
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Come on Brigby we're dying here!  When is Dominaria coming?

You don't have to give a specific date, just something better than "soon."

Will it be in May?  Will it be in the next 2 weeks?  Come on man!  The suspense is killing me!
    I can certainly understand why players want to know when the next set arrives ahead of time, however it's more accurate to say that the farther out a set/feature is anticipated to arrive, the less likely we are able to give a time-frame. The reason for this is because there's too much room for priorities to potentially shift or bugs to potentially pop up during that time, which would make giving an accurate time-frame difficult to stick to.

Having said that though, when it comes to Dominaria, we're at a point in development now where we can say that it should be arriving in the upcoming 2.7 build sometime later this month.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for (I mean an exact date would be awesome, but I knew that wouldn't be possible).  Now to wait for the gallery!
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Later this month is more than good enough. Much appreciated.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can definitely work with this.

Except this May is now to me what Monday’s are to Garfield... 😊 I’ll just have to wait it out...
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Later this month is already good enough @brigby
    I think most of us didn't want to have a date when it will drop,but something like "not until then.." to be able to plan with our resources

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Ahh I see. Well in that case...glad I could help! :)
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I accept you. Here's some orange peanuts 
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Are those hoardings getting fat..? :) thanks for the update captain @Brigby !
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So is it safe to assume that the cards and mechanics for the set are already designed? If so, is there any chance of seeing the cards before they are in the game?

Anyone that knows paper magic knows they preview the cards in the weeks leading up to the set's pre-release. I would love it if we could get that here too. Of course there are those that would find something to complain about with the cards (myself included I'm sure) and that might prevent you guys from previewing them but most of those complaints would be constructive criticism (even if it's disguised as regular old criticism) and be a net positive for the game. Hype is a thing and it's good for games. Seeing the cards early gets us excited for what's to come and that will last until we can get the cards and start playing them. Without seeing them early there is hype for the first day or two of the set release and then it quickly dies out as people run out of currency to get the new set. I understand paper can more easily preview cards since they are already printed and packaged by the time previews start whereas here the cards could change right up until the day of release but figured I would ask anyway.

I'd imagine it goes something like this:
    1. Design how the paper mechanics will work in PQ.
    2. Design the PQ versions of the paper PWs.
    3. Design the cards.
    4. Implement these into a build.
    5. Test/balance numbers 1-3.
    6. Design events.
    7. A whole bunch of other stuff I don't understand like dealing with licenses and getting the app approved in the app stores.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    So is it safe to assume that the cards and mechanics for the set are already designed? If so, is there any chance of seeing the cards before they are in the game?

The card gallery will be up at some point before the set release (usually about a week)

See:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72356/rivals-of-ixalan-card-gallery-4-27-18#latest
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    ZW2007- said:

The card gallery will be up at some point before the set release (usually about a week)

See:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72356/rivals-of-ixalan-card-gallery-4-27-18#latest
    I hope it's sooner than a week before release, we serve as a sample population and free editing service, consisting of some of the more experienced players to-date.  Additionally, though Octagon/Brigby may have to deal with some criticism, they can be fairly confident that most players here will still stick around even if they have unfavorable opinions on *some* of the new cards.

We're a resource that would be just silly to neglect.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    ZW2007- said:

See:

We've been saying that for years, yet the same thing happens every set.  Now, a large chunk of that was not Oktagon, but I doubt anything will change in that regard.  Something something intellectual property laws or something.  We can still complain into the void, though!  That's always fun, and does occasionally garner a response
  • FindingHeart8
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    ZW2007- said:

See:

We've been saying that for years, yet the same thing happens every set.  Now, a large chunk of that was not Oktagon, but I doubt anything will change in that regard.  Something something intellectual property laws or something.  We can still complain into the void, though!  That's always fun, and does occasionally garner a response
    Oh yeah I remember (I was right there with you complaining with you in the past lol).

I'd find an excuse of intellectual or trademark laws hard to swallow, as that *hopefully* would have been sorted out in the contract between D3 and WotC.  I guess you could argue that someone in that administrative chain keeps a tight leash on the developing process (for additional review) as a reason for the delayed release, but with the sloppiness of Ixalan I would not wager that as likely either.

Based off their website, I'd presume (hopefully being able to rule work-ethic out) is the cause is that they are low-staffed with limited funding, with increasing pressure to step up the pay-to-play mechanics of mtgpq.

We can still complain into the void, though!
    Indeed!!!  And when it does nothing (like in this case) it's free for us to cast!!

httpsimgscryfallcomcardsnormalenmma203jpg1517813031

why yes I am a nerd thank you for asking
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I believe not using this population to check new cards before release falls snugly into the category of "better to ask forgiveness..."
  • FindingHeart8
    edited May 2018
    Options
    At least Oktagon is committed to fixing mistakes. Remember how expensive all the XLN cards were when we saw the gallery? Then we got them and they were cheaper. Then we complained they were still too expensive and they reduced the costs again? I think that was solid. They got it wrong, and wrong, and wrong, but in the end we have something that's pretty solid.
    It's been an emotional roller-coaster really. 

Hibernum>>>Depression>>>Octagon>>>Hope>>>Booster Crafting>>>Excitement>>>Bolas>>>More Excitement>>>Ixalan Sneak Peak>>>Fear >>>Ixalan Release>>>Sadness, Disappointment, Misery>>>Ixalan Fixes>>>Trickle of Hope>>>Rivals>>>Excitement>>>No Free Rivals Packs>>>Fear>>>Resource Recession>>>More Fear>>>Karn>>>Excitement>>>Dominaria>>>???